Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Were you a Skinhead

Jan 30, 2008
Just reminiscing. Congratulations if you were an original skinhead. To be an original skinhead you would now be around 65 years old. I know this because I am 63 and was just a bit too young at the start. I was 15 and worked the school holidays in Joe Lyons, St James's Street when we had trouble with skinheads coming in looking menacing and asking for free cakes/sandwiches etc. Then I would see the said skinheads at the back of the North Stand with their braces and no shirt and wish I could be like them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlMkszB4Tq4
regards
DR

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I had the sit-in-the-bath Levi's and black "bovver" boots with an arrow design on the toe area. I dressed all in green. Olive sta-prest, green check shirt and green cardigan. Mum and dad likewise wouldn't have allowed the skinhead hair cut lol

The boots with an arrow on the toe were called Prisoners supposedly as these were what prisoners were given to wear. You could buy them at the army surplus store. I was a full on skinhead back then as a matter of choice and am again now as a matter of genetics!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not a fan. Always thought skinheads looked like yobs with not a brain cell between them. Looked like they were on day release from prison. The look somehow softens when your in your 40's and over and doesn't look menacing but in your 20's not a good look.

New Romantics on the other hand was a far cooler look. Much more fashionable

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I was a longish haired hippy but worked and so had to keep it reasonable:(
I remember sitting at Brighton Canoe club one bank holiday when Brighton was invaded by skinheads but who had had their bootlaces confiscated by the police. All shuffling along asking if we had "seen any grease"
Very funny they all looked .

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
63 now NO! I had long hair, greatcoat and a Lambretta, mixed up kid. I could park in Hove park and watch it from the top of chicken run to make sure it didn't get nicked!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I fell in love with the original Skinhead cult at Woodingdean Carnival in the late 1960's. There was always a fair on the grass opposite the houses at the top end of Bexhill Road. All the local lads one year appeared dressed in Leon Patou checked shirts, braces, Levis, Doc Martin boots. The Reggae beats of the time boomed out. I want to be like them I thought. I bought my first pair of Levis, the "Shrink to Fit" type where the instructions were to sit in the bath with them on to make them fit correctly! I actually really loved the beat of Reggae and remain a big fan to this day. I didn't have a Skinhead hair cut, but as short as I could get away with due to a very strict dad.
As the fashion slowly changed, my school uniform consisted of black DMs, black Sta-prest trousers, braces, plain colour Ben Sherman shirt and school blazer! I once turned up wearing my tartan check shirt, and received the rollicking of all rollickings from the Head Master. It wasn't what was expected at a Grammar School!
Yes, I'm now approaching 62 years' old!!

Crikey that brings back memories ... you are same age as me but must have been a different Grammar school (and primary)

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Skinheads are just Mod wanabees but could never be cool enough.

That said, had a few skinhead mates and the music is brilliant.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The whole of the North Stand was populated by Skinheads at matches in the late sixties, early seventies. The matches against Luton and Fulham are well documented. Their fans were dressed the same as us, except that they would have had a black and white scarf tied to a belt loop on their Levis. No fan segregation always made it exciting. The adrenalin rush I got from this era at Brighton games has never been matched since.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Saw first ones that I can remember at Brighton v Pompey League Cup Round 1 1969

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The whole of the North Stand was populated by Skinheads at matches in the late sixties, early seventies. The matches against Luton and Fulham are well documented. Their fans were dressed the same as us, except that they would have had a black and white scarf tied to a belt loop on their Levis. No fan segregation always made it exciting. The adrenalin rush I got from this era at Brighton games has never been matched since.

Same for me. Westlain was my school by the way

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I remember my father laughing, and inviting other members of the family to come and laugh at me in the bath shrinking Levis :lol:

We supported Desmond Dekker for one of his gigs in Brighton. Was quite alarming when the doors opened, and the fans came in haha. Pure skins.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Call me soft but that sounds genuinely terrifying.

Mind you an adrenaline rush for me consists of having an ill-advised coffee at 10pm. Rebel, rebel.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I thought the smoothies were also around at this time you could get a good deal in a shop near the cloak tower 3 ben Sherman shirts good quality.
Liked the smart shoes and two tone suits went to a hippy party getting of drugs charge in the Heath wore my mum fur coat to try and fit in and the hippies beat up some rockers I was very confused it got worse someone bottled my mate and a bloke just out of jail stamped on the attackers head in the nettles outside the old United Services club in Perrymount road. I think things are much better now they just run over each other in there mobility scooters.

I've told you a million times do not exaggerate!:ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here