Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Where have our young people gone

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Seemingly they are not producing new and innovative music and /developing a new yoof culture in which to while away their time.

Are the current stock of youth the most uninteresting since the birth of youth culture in the 50's?

Please prove this assertion wrong.
Simply not the case. Incredible array of music out there.

The world has changed, in particular for young people. Youth cultures were localised until they exploded through word of mouth mostly.
Now everyone is connected and John in Brighton will think nothing of collaborating on some music with Juan in Mexico. They may never have met.

Doubt we'll ever see youth cultures like those pre 2000 again.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
John in Brighton will think nothing of collaborating on some music with Juan in Mexico.

Juan does these kind of things if Juan can.

Dec 29, 2011
A lot of cheap shots at the young generation in this thread. Personally I think we're doing pretty bloody well considering what the older generation have left behind.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dunno - maybe either at Uni (because EVERYONE should go to Uni now apparently), or failing that hanging around town centres harassing people after spending their jobseekers allowance on booze and drugs ?

Well at least neither group are being idle then.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A lot of cheap shots at the young generation in this thread. Personally I think we're doing pretty bloody well considering what the older generation have left behind.

Ahh, a millennial speaks pmsl! I live with two of your type, at their age I had a full time job and was father to the oldest one! Both admit that they couldn’t have done the hours I worked (2 jobs) when they were young! I certainly wasn’t blaming the previous generation!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Helped someone move flat last week used a local removal company man and van the man arrived with two chaps one early twenties the other late teens man and van stood by while two chaps moved everything, the two chaps were on zero hours contracts and had work only if and when needed by man with van £50 each for the day with no promise of work the next day or another day, it was hard work up and down stairs and both looked shattered, as the man with van took the payment left me thinking what chances in life do our young have

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Surprisingly Eastern Europeans are happy because they are earning four times more money a week than they would in their native country.

See less and less in the building trade now, they had value when they were half price now most are going back to British workers :thumbsup:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Helped someone move flat last week used a local removal company man and van the man arrived with two chaps one early twenties the other late teens man and van stood by while two chaps moved everything, the two chaps were on zero hours contracts and had work only if and when needed by man with van £50 each for the day with no promise of work the next day or another day, it was hard work up and down stairs and both looked shattered, as the man with van took the payment left me thinking what chances in life do our young have
Many if our young our work shy who get their mums to ring up to see if you have a job for their lazy brat.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Many if our young our work shy who get their mums to ring up to see if you have a job for their lazy brat.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Many employers want just eastern European workers ,I live in an area in the country where there are a lot of huge farms and have mainly this culture .
The companies hide behind the guise of "oh the British people don't want the work and they cant handle it " but don't mention the fact that they never advertise in the local papers or jobcentres
and openly recruit from jobcentres in Poland etc .I know of friends who`s kids have rang and asked about jobs to be told there are none only to be confronted with vans of eastern Europeans being bused in a few weeks later.
We had a local meeting with said companies and they were asked these questions and the silence in the room was deafening .
To be able to work you have to be given the opportunity .

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's the same here!
When we used to come to Malta on holiday, the waiters were usually Maltese and often doing a second job in the evenings and weekends.
Now, nearly all hotel and restaurant staff are from Italy, the Balkans or Eastern Europe. (Very good at their jobs too)
There are now more Italians in Malta than Brits.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My local Co-op and Sainsburys local seem to be staffed solely by people under the age of 25.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Many employers want just eastern European workers ,I live in an area in the country where there are a lot of huge farms and have mainly this culture .
The companies hide behind the guise of "oh the British people don't want the work and they cant handle it " but don't mention the fact that they never advertise in the local papers or jobcentres
and openly recruit from jobcentres in Poland etc .I know of friends who`s kids have rang and asked about jobs to be told there are none only to be confronted with vans of eastern Europeans being bused in a few weeks later.
We had a local meeting with said companies and they were asked these questions and the silence in the room was deafening .
To be able to work you have to be given the opportunity .

There was a newsnight documentary about this. They gave the local people the jobs, and they were crap at it. Its difficult to resolve.
People just are not going to give up their benefits, and an easy life for picking crops.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ahh, a millennial speaks pmsl! I live with two of your type, at their age I had a full time job and was father to the oldest one! Both admit that they couldn’t have done the hours I worked (2 jobs) when they were young! I certainly wasn’t blaming the previous generation!

You shouldn't tar a generation with the same brush just because you failed to raise productive members of society :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here