Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Cows milk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My daily 250ml for tea coffee etc is 123 calories so I settle for that as I cannot stand longlife muilk in anything. I know a lot of people do like it but its not for me.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The smell of warm milk that was handed out daily in small bottles at infant school put me off drinking it neat for the rest of my life.
But I have loads in cereals etc.
I also love things like coffee cake, Tiramisu etc but cannot stand coffee.
I think I must be a little odd.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
I love it, drink about a pint and a half of green top a day just on it's own. It's good for you too. But over the last few years alterna-milk has emerged. Soya, almond, oat milk etc. Do you partake of the udder or have you embraced the trendy ones? What made you change and do you feel better for it?

I predict a lot of upcoming old folk will have terribly weak bones due to the rejection of traditional cos milk.

I gave up cows milk around 4 years ago, I use almond milk on cereal sometimes hazelnut if i can get it, Soya milk is used in sauces etc and i don't have milk in hot drinks, I did this as part of a health kick and weight loss going from 17 & 1/2 st and currently at 12 &1/2 , have to say my guts have been better since giving up milk.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Oatly is blinding in muesli (yes, I did used to live in Hanover) and porridge. No puss, antibiotics or animal welfare guilt either. I've recently spotted Oatly 'barista' edition bu t haven't tried it in coffee. Doesn't work in tea. You just have to put up with the faux matey comments on the side of the pack.

Oatly chocolate flavour is lovely in a banana milkshake. My daughter rarely eats breakfast but will drink a huge glass of shake/smoothie made with chocolate Oatly.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My Father was a cow herdsman when I was growing up, and part of his wage was as much milk as he needed, hence, I grew up drinking unpasteurised milk, if you have never tried it, it has twice the taste of the so called fresh milk sold in supermarkets etc.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Gives me the shits, not drank it for years. The smell makes me feel sick now.
Alpro unsweetened almond milk in cereal and tea, sometimes go with the Oatly stuff, prefer the taste, not the price.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I gave up cows milk around 4 years ago, I use almond milk on cereal sometimes hazelnut if i can get it, Soya milk is used in sauces etc and i don't have milk in hot drinks, I did this as part of a health kick and weight loss going from 17 & 1/2 st and currently at 12 &1/2 , have to say my guts have been better since giving up milk.

That's great, well done. 5 stone is a huge loss.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Went from semi-skimmed cow to skimmed goat- the skimmed version is about the right level of taste and probably a bit healthier than green top cow.

Might have a go at moving to almond milk but I guess I feel like the goats milk is a bit more ‘natural’ / less manufactured and possibly better quality protein.

This one is good -

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/264016416

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My Father was a cow herdsman when I was growing up, and part of his wage was as much milk as he needed, hence, I grew up drinking unpasteurised milk, if you have never tried it, it has twice the taste of the so called fresh milk sold in supermarkets etc.

I started drinking unpasteurised milk (bought direct from the farm) a few months ago. It's totally unlike any other milk I've ever had - such an amazing taste. I visit the farm once a fortnight, buy in bulk, and freeze what I'm not going to be drinking/using over the next 2 days. It freezes well - I did a blind tasting of fresh vs frozen and couldn't tell the difference. Best food-related discovery of the last 5 years at least!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I started drinking unpasteurised milk (bought direct from the farm) a few months ago. It's totally unlike any other milk I've ever had - such an amazing taste. I visit the farm once a fortnight, buy in bulk, and freeze what I'm not going to be drinking/using over the next 2 days. It freezes well - I did a blind tasting of fresh vs frozen and couldn't tell the difference. Best food-related discovery of the last 5 years at least!

I'm sure they sell milk at the Wimpole Estate (NT) :thumbsup:

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Only ever drank organic, un-homogenised whole milk because of stomach issues as described by many others above - nausea, bloating etc., & it made a huge positive difference to the symptoms (made drinking tea pleasurable again). Am actually now a few weeks into trying to go milk free just to see what happens - any remaining symptoms have completely cleared but I desperately miss the milk in tea :(

On the subject of low fat & fat free milk; what's the point in that? Whole milk at just over 3% fat is a LOW FAT product naturally, & surely it's the fat that gives any flavour & nutritional value?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As a type 1 [insulin dependant] diabetic I have to watch my carb intake so I have the semi-skimmed Lactose-free option.
Can't taste the difference in tea or on cereal etc.
Think it's got the same amount of calcium in as std semi-skimmed [green-top]

milk.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I love it, drink about a pint and a half of green top a day just on it's own. It's good for you too. But over the last few years alterna-milk has emerged. Soya, almond, oat milk etc. Do you partake of the udder or have you embraced the trendy ones? What made you change and do you feel better for it?

I predict a lot of upcoming old folk will have terribly weak bones due to the rejection of traditional cos milk.

What a load of bum cheeks. We're not cows and we don't need cow's milk in our diet whatsoever. The negatives far outweigh the alleged benefits.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Coconut milk on cereal, bit of skimmed milk in tea, semi-skimmed in coffee. Also use semi-skimmed in cooking.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
People who drink cow's milk legitimise the veal industry.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My uncle worked on a dairy farm, which I loved visiting. I know exactly what you mean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here