Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Cows milk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Talking of Humphreys, not bad at a tenner a pop.

Hump.jpg

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Oatly is blinding in muesli (yes, I did used to live in Hanover) and porridge. No puss, antibiotics or animal welfare guilt either. I've recently spotted Oatly 'barista' edition bu t haven't tried it in coffee. Doesn't work in tea. You just have to put up with the faux matey comments on the side of the pack.

Oatly foamable / barista is brilliant. It's the best one I've found for tea and coffee, although it's a bit sweet. I can't stand any of the plant-based milks in cereal, it's the one thing I really miss. There is a really good soya milk for hot drinks as well, Bonsoy. But it is seriously expensive so I stick with Oatly.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
People who drink cow's milk legitimise the veal industry.

Not in the UK - they don't bother to keep the male calves here because there is no market for it. If they are female they are kept and impregnated as early as possible, then put on the milking machines. For males they just get shot straight after they've been born. Cheaper that way.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I love milk and cookies!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not in the UK - they don't bother to keep the male calves here because there is no market for it. If they are female they are kept and impregnated as early as possible, then put on the milking machines. For males they just get shot straight after they've been born. Cheaper that way.

Oh, that's okay then. Apart from the ones that are exported to Europe or raised and slaughtered at eight months old for (RSPCA endorsed) British rose veal.

Follow That Seagull

Nov 4, 2017
Somewhere in Sussex
I'm lactose intolerant so no cow juice for me. Though it stands to reason why would the first human who drank from a cow do it anyways? If someone was caught doing that now they would be thrown into a nuthouse somewhere lol. Besides Humans seem to be the only animals in the world to drink milk past infanthood. Not really natural persey. I don't see my lactose intolerance as curse but more a blessing. The more you think about sucking off an animal the cringer it gets. Would you drink a womans milk? Probably not so why an animal in general?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Thats a thing that is losing its way the milk being delivered to the door. I think that it is down to price when most supermarkets charge about £1 for 4 pints why would you pay nearly that for 1 pint delivered. Unless as above you are old or disabled and unable to get to the supermarket easily.

Losing it's way? it's totally lost it's way here in Cowfold. Like most families we uised the services of the local milkman in times gone by, but certainly here it is impossible to get milk delivered now, even if you want it.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
We are the only species on the planet that drinks milk from another species. Lactose intolerance is when the body does not produce enough lactase to break down lactose, a sugar found in milk and many other milk derived dairy products.
The enzyme responsible for breaking down lactose is lactase, an enzyme found on the wall of the intestines. Lactase breaks down lactose (the sugar found in milk) into galactose and glucose. The activity of lactase becomes reduced after breastfeeding, at that point the body no longer needs as much lactase. Not to mention a human mothers milk is much different from the milk of a cow. The reduction of lactase activity after infancy is a genetically programmed event. Approximately 75 % of Earths population is lactose intolerant for a reason, because it’s perfectly natural.

Since lactase’s only function is the digestion of lactose in milk, most mammal species experience a dramatic reduction in the activity of the enzyme after weaning. Lactase persistence in humans has evolved as an adaptation to the consumption of non-human milk and dairy products consumed beyond infancy. Our diet has changed a lot, and as a result some of our genes have adapted, but it’s not an easy process. This is why most humans are lactose intolerant. Every other species weans and then never drinks milk again for the rest of their lives, and because of that they don’t have an enzyme to break down the sugar in milk. But during human evolution, some humans experienced a mutation in the LTC gene, the lactase gene, these mutations allow us to process lactose as adults. With over 75 percent of humans on the planet unable to properly process it, it is evidence enough that we are not doing what is natural and in accordance with our bodies.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I used to be a joyous Yazoo drinker, but a pain behind the eyes for about 18 months led me try not to drink cow juice. And lo and behold, the pain subsided. I'd been for allergy tests and discovered I was not having a nasty reaction to flour or the heavy-smoking chimps from the Lambert and Butlers lab next door, so I was to experiment on myself. I've gotten quite into the soya milk now, and it didn't take too long. Still waiting for my workplace to supply that just as they do cow milk, but I imagine these cheapskates will not do so for a number of years to come.
Gladly, for jowl-sustenance, I can still neck quite a bit of regular cheese.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Only ever drank organic, un-homogenised whole milk because of stomach issues as described by many others above - nausea, bloating etc., & it made a huge positive difference to the symptoms (made drinking tea pleasurable again). Am actually now a few weeks into trying to go milk free just to see what happens - any remaining symptoms have completely cleared but I desperately miss the milk in tea :(

On the subject of low fat & fat free milk; what's the point in that? Whole milk at just over 3% fat is a LOW FAT product naturally, & surely it's the fat that gives any flavour & nutritional value?

Have you tried other teas like Ginger, Earl Grey? Tesco do a black tea with vanilla that's good, no need for milk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Normal milk in tea / coffee. I now use Alpro Coconut Almond milk in porridge and smoothies / milkshakes as I find I stomach it better

Oct 25, 2003
wife if vegan so I don't have a huge amount- basically none at home. Was never that keen on it anyway other than in coffee and not a huge cheese fan

also it's ****ing disgusting when you think about it and not great for your health

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Oh how wrong you are ....

The father of my son-in-law [to-be] is a farmer and he keeps a male-only herd of cattle - apparently, they make for jolly nice steaks at 2 years and fetch a few bob at market - so no shooting male calves at birth up this way as they are seen as a valuable asset.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here