Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Cows milk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
One is always best returning to the nearest natural source. Butter, cows milk, whole grains. Far better for you than any of these fancy fad alternatives.

A bit of re-wording and that could be the new motto for Dairy Crest! :D

Natural is a word that's been appropriated by the food industry to mean healthy, when most of the time it's just nonsense. There are plenty of things that are natural and highly toxic. I know that isn't what you meant, but the fact that we all think that milk is healthy is a bit of a fallacy. It obviously has good points, but there are negatives about it as well, if you're not a baby cow.

Regardless, for me it's not about whether it's good for you or bad for you. I simply don't like what occurs for me to be able to drink it. I appreciate that is a personal issue.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I try to only use cow / goat milk to make kefir with.
kefir-straining.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A bit of re-wording and that could be the new motto for Dairy Crest! :D

Natural is a word that's been appropriated by the food industry to mean healthy, when most of the time it's just nonsense. There are plenty of things that are natural and highly toxic. I know that isn't what you meant, but the fact that we all think that milk is healthy is a bit of a fallacy. It obviously has good points, but there are negatives about it as well, if you're not a baby cow.

Regardless, for me it's not about whether it's good for you or bad for you. I simply don't like what occurs for me to be able to drink it. I appreciate that is a personal issue.

The argument that it's not meant for humans is a non starter really as it is simply an animal procduct that we exploit for it's nutritional value. We are not meant to drive, fly, wear clothes, have same-sex relationships, dye our hair, get tattoos, eat for pleasure etc. But we do, and the world is a better place for it.
Milk is good for you but as you say in moderation.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The argument that it's not meant for humans is a non starter really as it is simply an animal procduct that we exploit for it's nutritional value. We are not meant to drive, fly, wear clothes, have same-sex relationships, dye our hair, get tattoos, eat for pleasure etc. But we do, and the world is a better place for it.
Milk is good for you but as you say in moderation.

We can endlessly go around in circles on this, but ultimately it's all just about our personal choices and beliefs. The not for humans argument is a bit of a straw man really, it's obviously true because biologically it's being produced for baby cows. But your point is of course that none of the animals are specifically born to be eaten by humans - I tend to agree, but we come to a different conclusion. Which is fine.

We are not drinking cows milk for the nutritional value, or the need to survive any more. That was true many, many years ago, but now I would say we are drinking it due to choice, habit and marketing. Again, nothing wrong with that, we live in that sort of society.

I would say that all of those other things are not directly harming another sentient being, but I know it's a torturous debate. If we want to do no harm at all, you could barely do anything. I try to take a balanced approach.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've also heard many cats are partial to a saucer of cow's milk too.

Couldn't say with absolute certainty but I reckon the new-born's at e.g. zoos [and lambs on farms] that are rejected by their mothers are hand-reared on bottled cow's milk too.

Neither of my cats will drink cows milk, but will drink the lactose free 'cats' milk on sale. When I gave cows milk to one, it made her sick.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
young human adults drink cows milk for the nutritional value and it's far better than that powedered SMA style crap hawked by pharma companies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here