Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's friendlies v Germany & Brazil.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Took my kids to England vs Portugal pre Euro 16 cos they wanted to see Ronaldo play. He wet the bed, Alves decapitated Kane & England won.

Next week we’re off to the Brazil game to see ‘THE WORLDS MOST EXPENSIVE PLAYER DAD!’

Maybe he’ll wet the bed, Vardy will get disembowelled, and England will win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
So is your suggestion that the league just carries on as it's "only 8 teams"?

So, we play without Duffy and Ryan (he's not European so you don't seem to care)? We could also have been without Propper.

Don't get me wrong - I really don't like the way the season has been so disjointed due to international breaks. By the time we kick off against Stoke the season will be exactly 100 days old and we'll have played a mere 11 fixtures. We then play 11 games in 43 days. It's completely unbalanced.

But this break isn't "pointless" unfortunately, as much as I'd prefer to be watching the Albion this weekend.

I know you’re of course 100% right but boy do I hate the truncated momentum of game after game that comes with internationals.

It’s a full SIXTEEN days until our next fixture, to which I cannot come, so I’m feeling a bit harrumphy about it all. Sigh

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know you’re of course 100% right but boy do I hate the truncated momentum of game after game that comes with internationals.

It’s a full SIXTEEN days until our next fixture, to which I cannot come, so I’m feeling a bit harrumphy about it all. Sigh

The international break didn't seem that bad when Albon were in the championship, with the rest needed for the constant midweek games, but as now PL, for me personally I'd rather us keep the momentum going.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I love watching England play but even I am struggling to get excited about a midfield of Dier, Loftus-Cheek, Livermore and Lingaard.

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Looking like a full on B-Team. I fear they may get battered twice.

746d5d0e671a68481ee9aed8b7e878f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
From previous experience Germany and Brazil will both be in city-break mode. Unless Germany are contracted to I doubt they’ll even bother sending a strong team. There’s every chance England can win one of these games.

Indeed. No one takes friendlies seriously except the English public. At the last Euros we'd beaten all four of the semi-finalists within the previous 12 months, but the wins over Portugal, Germany and France had been in (literally) pointless friendlies. Come tournaments all those teams are different propositions, especially Germany who are very much a tournament side.

The matches themselves, as training exercises, are useful, but we read WAY too much into them (a bit like some people do with Brighton's pre-season games). Any victory will be treated as a sign that we're world-beaters, and any defeat is proof that we'd struggle to beat the Vatican.

My only hope is that because of all the withdrawals people WILL view them with a bit of perspective, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Spurs were dead lucky, only Palace's chronic ineptitude and rampant incompetence in front of goal saved them. I hope they play the same against us.

Got a battering, which makes the idea of Spurs resting players and taking the off to avoid international duty even more retarded.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
To be honest I wouldn't care if we lost international football altogether, its not about England being poor but just that nobody seems that interested in playing.

Get some players in from the Championship, lower Premier League have a bit of team spirit and at least go down fighting and stop playing at Wembley move the games around the country, 30 thousand fans at Hull would make ten time more noise and ban the band.

And mainly Fifa, there has been so much corruption in the game I feel very disillusioned with the whole thing, we shouldn't be playing in Russia, definetely shouldn't be playing in Qatar and worst of all nobody will stand up to them because of all the money involved.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I’ve probably got some paint to watch drying. And if not, I’ll get some.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Here we are 7 months before a major tournament with a squad decimated by withdrawals - some clearly genuine, some dubious at best.

We don't know what our strongest side is, we don't even know what our best formation is. Southgate seems to be behind the curve, playing donkeys like Joe Hart, Phil Jones, Livermore and giving the wrong youngsters a start (Maguire, Loftus-Cheek, Gomez). FFAS, even Ashley Young's back in the reckoning.

It's a shame Winks isn't fit as he's an exciting player, and I'd much rather see the likes of Butland, Dunk and Demarai Gray starting - all entertaining players to watch.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Nah still got some paint I've been meaning to watch dry

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here