Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transport to/from The Amex

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I do wonder if it would be worthwhile for the club liaise with the council and B&H Buses to see if it's possible to extend the 49 bus on match days down Lucraft Road and into the Bridge car park and building a bus stop and turning circle for them there. This might make it a more attractive option.

It's a frequent bus (6 an hour I think) so this could provide a fair amount of extra capacity. At the moment the nearest stop to the Amex is probably too far to make many people consider using this route. I appreciate it's still a fair walk from the Bridge but if people are prepared to park and walk from there, then surely people would be prepared to walk there and get the bus, especially if it meant a smoother get-away. I expect the main problem with this might be the narrowness of Lucraft Road. Obviously there's little point in doing this if the 49 is already full of fans, but I suspect it isn't.

I think the long term transport strategy should be to get as many people as possible cycling and walking to the ground, as it would reduce the club's transport subsidy commitments. Maybe some sort of health campaign with AITC extolling the virtues of active travel would help. I do wonder if engaging with the people who do currently cycle to see what improvements could be made to encourage higher uptake might be beneficial. For instance, I don't cycle, but I'd imagine cycle storage in more convenient locations for those approaching from Lewes and Woodingdean might be an idea.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I do wonder if it would be worthwhile for the club liaise with the council and B&H Buses to see if it's possible to extend the 49 bus on match days down Lucraft Road and into the Bridge car park and building a bus stop and turning circle for them there. This might make it a more attractive option.

One no-brainer that the club could press B&H buses on is use of the 5B bus. Currently it runs as far as Hollingbury ASDA apart from maybe one or two in the morning and one in the evening that go up as far as Sussex Uni. They run every 10 minutes. Would increase bus capacity significantly if even every alternate 5B went up as far as the Uni on matchdays rather than turn around at ASDA - where most shoppers arrive by car anyways.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Permanent Sainsbury's West Hove P&R

Is this realistic though ? Might be all well and good for a Tuesday night, but I doubt if Sainsbo's would want their car park tied up with football traffic all afternoon on a Saturday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is this realistic though ? Might be all well and good for a Tuesday night, but I doubt if Sainsbo's would want their car park tied up with football traffic all afternoon on a Saturday.

Withdean car park instead maybe? That's usually mainly occupied by sly commuters APART from weekends and midweek evenings.

With the added benefit that The Sportsman is still up and running and would doubtless welcome the additional business.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The idea to extend the 5B to go via Coldean Lane past the uni to Falmer and back down to the station and back up Coldean l;ane sounds a good idea and in fact would help supporters going to other parts of the town than Old Steine. I think many would get off at St Peters and walk up Trafalgar St to the station.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Withdean car park instead maybe? That's usually mainly occupied by sly commuters APART from weekends and midweek evenings.

With the added benefit that The Sportsman is still up and running and would doubtless welcome the additional business.

Dunno the capacity, but its not all that big is it ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The drawback with Withdean is the time taken for the 27 to get into and out of town. IF B & H buses were prepared to run a special up Carden Ave direct to Falmer that would help tremendously.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The drawback with Withdean is the time taken for the 27 to get into and out of town. IF B & H buses were prepared to run a special up Carden Ave direct to Falmer that would help tremendously.

I'm pretty sure if Withdean WERE to be opened up as a P&R, the P&R bus could take any route it damn well pleased. Nowt to do with the 27 which could continue to trundle along it's merry route, near-empty as always.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

I know a Saino's near me that has to deal with football traffic on some Saturdays...they cope...mind you they do confiscate all Burberry caps, and lighters..from all visitors.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Park and ride Lewes area. It is mad that those driving in from East have to drive past ground to get to a park and ride. I dont use P R but feel sorry for those waiting in rain. Surely supply shelter.

It is a fact that Barber does not know what it is like to travel to and from Amex. Every thing is hearsay. I genuinely think he should personally try over a few games all park and rides to and from ground. Also try train services from all directions. It will be the only way he will find out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm pretty sure if Withdean WERE to be opened up as a P&R, the P&R bus could take any route it damn well pleased. Nowt to do with the 27 which could continue to trundle along it's merry route, near-empty as always.

IF opened as a P & R but I was talking of the existing arrangement and using it now. How many additional cars could it take to make it viable as it is already quite well used.

As regards a P & R near Lewes how about the industrial estate where Aldi is that could be used like they do at Wycombe but theirs isnt P & R just parking for the ground.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IF opened as a P & R but I was talking of the existing arrangement and using it now. How many additional cars could it take to make it viable as it is alrteady quite well used.

It's pretty much deserted in the evenings and at weekends. And most of the rest of the time really. Chase away the sly commuters and it'd make for a perfect additional P&R.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a park and ride user I can only really comment on that.

But as has been said, using the left hand side of slip lane for buses would speed the journey and turnaround of buses up greatly, a very simple thing.
And a P&R point at Hickstead for example also makes great sense and would relieve some of the pressure on Mill Road.

In general though its pretty good

Hickstead was discussed at a Q&A session I went to. The club has done a study on it, and it's too far away to be feasible. There wouldn't be enough time to turn buses around to pick up further passengers.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Must admit as nice a a P&R for the east Sussex fans would be I cannot see how it could be accommodated at the Amex, unless they use the SW car park like they did when they ran the shuttle to Lewes station during the strikes but that was a long walk.

I have said it loads of times but again nothing the club can do about it, but if everybody on the platform got on the first train to Lewes after a game the queues would reduce massively.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
1. There are often lots of stewards in yellow day glow vests standing around by the park and ride buses at the end of the game but they still fail to stop people walking up the coach steps and joining the queue for the bus at this point (whilst the main queue is held at the top of the park and ride steps).

2. Pre-game, have some of the P&R buses drop off in the university so we can just walk through the tunnel under the A27 thus avoiding the need for pointless buses to go into the main car park thus clogging up the route into and out of the bus park area.

3. As others have said load the buses at least two at a time and reserve the left lane of the A27 slip road for coaches/buses

4. Have a steward/Police officer stopping all other traffic and giving priority to buses and coaches at the end of the game onto Village Way.

5. People generally - don't act like a total arse, cutting in on the A27 at the last minute, using the bus lane on Lewes Road, using the left lane of the A27 slip road and then turning right at the round-a-bout, yeah great for you that you save a couple of minutes on your journey but it delays everyone else.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Park and ride Lewes area. It is mad that those driving in from East have to drive past ground to get to a park and ride. I dont use P R but feel sorry for those waiting in rain. Surely supply shelter.

It is a fact that Barber does not know what it is like to travel to and from Amex. Every thing is hearsay. I genuinely think he should personally try over a few games all park and rides to and from ground. Also try train services from all directions. It will be the only way he will find out.

How do you know that he, or his staff, don't?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The stadium officially opened on 30 July 2011... ...The stadium set its first record attendance with 21,897 against Liverpool.

What actual changes has there been to the transport infrastructure over the 6 seasons that the capacity has increased by a third, a full 10,000 people?

£2m on Falmer station extending platforms/signalling for starters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here