Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transport to/from The Amex

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Park and ride Lewes area. It is mad that those driving in from East have to drive past ground to get to a park and ride. I dont use P R but feel sorry for those waiting in rain. Surely supply shelter.

It is a fact that Barber does not know what it is like to travel to and from Amex. Every thing is hearsay. I genuinely think he should personally try over a few games all park and rides to and from ground. Also try train services from all directions. It will be the only way he will find out.

There is a park and ride at Lewes. You park (for most matchdays. for free) . And then ride on the train.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A second (related) gripe is loading. Make sure the trains don't leave with empty spaces!

The loading issue is paradoxical one though. There's a certain amount of time to load the trains or there is an impact on availability of carriages , return trains, late trains etc.
Its better to clear both North and South travellers by sticking to the timetable with some spaces, rather than overrun the timetable waiting for everyone to get on the trains, and trying to fill em up regardless of how long it takes.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The loading issue is paradoxical one though. There's a certain amount of time to load the trains or there is an impact on availability of carriages , return trains, late trains etc.
Its better to clear both North and South travellers by sticking to the timetable with some spaces, rather than overrun the timetable waiting for everyone to get on the trains, fill em up regardless of how long it takes.

Could this not be done more efficiently and quicker with assistance by the stewards. Just put one up at the front of the train to tell people there are spaces .and encourage them to join it there. Many will rush up there to get on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Could this not be done more efficiently and quicker with assistance by the stewards. Just put one up at the front of the train to tell people there are spaces .and encourage them to join it there.

Not sure what its like on the platform to Brighton but this happens a lot with the platform to Lewes.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Could this not be done more efficiently and quicker with assistance by the stewards. Just put one up at the front of the train to tell people there are spaces .and encourage them to join it there. Many will rush up there to get on.
This always happens from Brighton to Falmer. They also encourage people to go right on the Falmer to Brighton platform. Obviously those with connecting trains prefer to go to the left/front.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
1. There are often lots of stewards in yellow day glow vests standing around by the park and ride buses at the end of the game but they still fail to stop people walking up the coach steps and joining the queue for the bus at this point (whilst the main queue is held at the top of the park and ride steps).

2. Pre-game, have some of the P&R buses drop off in the university so we can just walk through the tunnel under the A27 thus avoiding the need for pointless buses to go into the main car park thus clogging up the route into and out of the bus park area.

3. As others have said load the buses at least two at a time and reserve the left lane of the A27 slip road for coaches/buses

4. Have a steward/Police officer stopping all other traffic and giving priority to buses and coaches at the end of the game onto Village Way.

5. People generally - don't act like a total arse, cutting in on the A27 at the last minute, using the bus lane on Lewes Road, using the left lane of the A27 slip road and then turning right at the round-a-bout, yeah great for you that you save a couple of minutes on your journey but it delays everyone else.
2 and 5 are bloody obvious to everyone but the club it seems..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Permanent Sainsbury's West Hove P&R

I second this, used it twice last season for midweek games when Southern were on strike and it worked very well.

There is no chance of that though. Why do you think it is only available on weeknights? Sainsbury's are not going to clog up their car park on their busiest time of the entire week just to suit some Albion fans.

IanH

9sept1978
Nov 6, 2010
Thanks very much for at least giving this a go. Here's a few ideas and thoughts from me, as someone who has used both bridge street and the park and rides over the years.
1. Definitely need more traffic light control at the top of Village Way and at the bottom of Bridge Street car park on match days.
2. Bridge Street Car Park needs barriers because the structure breaks down once 30% of the cars have left and this leads to greater congestion and ability to jump queues.
3. Combination of a vast numbers of walking spectators and cars passing through a single lane tunnel is not great from a safety perspective and causes the biggest delay for drivers leaving Bridge street. I support the earlier suggestion of a second tunnel or bridge for those walking.
4. Re bus loading. I went to the Ryder cup several years ago. They had to get 100,000 away at the end of play, most on P&R. Excellent system used. All buses lined up in parallel facing forward. A barrier system was set up behind them and a single steward counted 80 people into each zone and then closed it and moved to the next zone and counted the next 80 people into that. Each bus then filled at its own pace from its zone and departed once full. This way up to 10 or 15 buses were boarding simultaneously. Combine this with a quick exit from the Village Way and these buses will return very quickly and the same process can begin.
5. the earlier suggestions of priority lane for buses up the a27 slip road is an obvious good one as is a potentially different drop off point which negates the need for the bus to get into the parking centre. I for one do not mind a short walk to the park and ride bus stops. Many walk the distance to and from Bridge street each game.

King George

Sep 18, 2010
Par & Ride Mill Hill

Rather than lots of emails to PB, if anyone has any (sensible)suggestions regarding transport, please put them on this thread and I'll put them in one email to him by the end of the week.

Cheers.
The Mill Hill access route is in the wrong place. If P&R buses entered from the Dyke Road Avenue end it would ease the problem of traffic joining to use the A23 at Patcham. Buses would then travel downhill and access A27 at the bottom of Mill Hill.
The overflow of cars using Mill Hill far exceeds the capacity of the road resulting in pavement and verge parking in Goldstone Valley and Woodland. When Mill Hill is full the buses should stop and be re routed to serve Racecourse P&R.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
There is no chance of that though. Why do you think it is only available on weeknights? Sainsbury's are not going to clog up their car park on their busiest time of the entire week just to suit some Albion fans.

Barber can throw em' a few quid

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Could we put a bridge into WSU from the road just past the coach park so we don't have to climb so many steps and as we get older then we don't have to move to the lower section also it would relief the bottleneck at the steps to the coach park meaning coaches would get loaded quicker help all round.:shrug::facepalm::wrong:

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
The issue over stopping cars picking up people after the game is more than just in Village Way. The number of cars waiting on the yellow lines on the b2123 just after the lights, on the flyover over the a27 and the exit from the uni car park is getting worse each week. Rows of them parking over the pavement on the bridge causing chaos with the traffic and pedestrians trying to get away from the stadium. Really dangerous as well causing fans to walk into the traffic to negotiate them. Just need a police or steward presence to stop this as it’s getting worse

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
3. Combination of a vast numbers of walking spectators and cars passing through a single lane tunnel is not great from a safety perspective and causes the biggest delay for drivers leaving Bridge street. I support the earlier suggestion of a second tunnel or bridge for those walking.

There is another tunnel - in Ashurst Road. I don't see where another one can be built, as there's no other road for the pedestrians to walk on. I think constructing another road and tunnel - at a cost of a couple of million quid - to save drivers a few minutes is a bit over-the-top.

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Getting away from a game is the biggest pain.Usually I go by train and have used Seagulls travel a few times.

Would like to see coach travel subsidised in the same way as train travel is otherwise give me the option to buy a ticket without train travel so I can use that money to pay part of the coach travel.

Leaving Car Park 1 at The University. All traffic becomes single lane at the exit of the car park, most then turning onto the eastern Ring Road towards the A27. Filter the traffic before it leaves the Car Park, so that there is an option to turn right out of the Car Park, along the Southern Ring Road, to come out onto the A270. Needs a placard with arrows to indicate the two exit lanes.

Leaving the Eastern Ring Road, approaching the first roundabout. Right lane is straight on towards the Amex, Left lane should be to Lewes only, but regularly used by vehicles then going straight over. Causes a logjam of two lanes trying to enter one lane, while there is also traffic coming up from A27 turning right at roundabout towards the Amex. Needs someone to direct left lane traffic of Eastern Ring Road to Lewes only. Also someone to temporarily hold up the traffic from A27, to allow traffic from Eastern Ring Road to cross.

Total requirement, three of the existing car park stewards, who generally stand around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here