Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mark the Albion's start out of 10

Mark the Albion's Premier League start out of 10?

• 10 (High)

Votes: 20 7.6%

Votes: 73 27.9%

Votes: 120 45.8%

Votes: 44 16.8%

Votes: 2 0.8%

Votes: 2 0.8%

Votes: 1 0.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 (Low)

• Total voters

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I think it's relative to expectations...

Compared to mine, we must be a nine!

However, in the real world it's a seven given who we have played so far and how we've looked a little cowed at first.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Considering our strike force - one injured - one a bit slow and suspended for key games - one pretty old - I think the achievements thus far have been nothing short of phenomenal.

Had we signed a quality striker with a strong track record I still wouldn't have really expected to be in the position we are now. We've only played two of the twelve supposedly unwinnable games so things will even out, but 10 out of 10 so far for achievement. Would be 11 if they'd reintroduced the free half-time tea in the 1901 club......

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
7 as the next cluster of games should really be the test too much stop start so far

One thing is very clear, newbies to this league are treated as undesirables for a minimum first season

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
8. Very good.

Can't be critical.

We'll have a better idea of things when Albion have played through a full round of games. But very pleased.

Currently 2nd in Premier League 2....

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
8 - It's been a great start with many positives, the greatest of which are probably the outstanding Dunk/Duffy partnership (which we knew about a year ago but the rest of the world are only just realising what we have here) and the unearthing of a cut price diamond in the form of Pascal.

but

The way I see it is that if you treat any points from the Big 6 as a bonus you need 1.5 points from the remaining 26 games = 39 and hopefully safety.

We've played 9 such games - and only 2 against the Big 6 - so are 1 or 2 points (or one game) ahead of target - i.e. very good but not smashing it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'd say 6th as max potential for us, so a 9 for me

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its a 7 from me.
This season just emphasises the gulf between the top 6 and the rest. There is very little to choose between 14 other clubs. Some are benefitting from stable management and a clear game plan ( e.g Burnley, BHA, Hudderfld ) Others are experiencing managerial difficulties and pressure ( e.g WHU, Everton, WBA ) but it doesn't mean to say that they won't pick up form.
The majority of our points have to come from these 14 teams and they will mean so much more. The odd point from a ' big boy ' will be great but not to be relied upon. It is already obvious that talent will unpick our system and expose us. The home game with Palace is far more important than Man U away or Liverpool at home. Likewise, Huddersfield away is vitally important. We have to do damage to those around us.
We were a little naive and lacking confidence in the first few games but 14 points from the last 8 games is a clear sign that we are improving and can hold our own in the ' league of 14 ' We are still making mistakes that the better sides will punish but sides like Swansea, lacking confidence, will fail to do so. 7 wins, 4 draws and 16 defeats will see us reach 40 points and that is clearly achievable. In fact, if the home form holds up, we could go comfortably past the magic mark.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm with the 'other' Bruno....

Judges-BBC-Guy-Levy.jpg

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

It's not quite Leicesteresque.

Dropped points against Watford and Everton.

That's being ultra critical.

Generally I'm well chuffed and won't be arguing with anyone who fancies giving the full 10! :albion2:

If we had held on vs bournemouth, held on vs Everton and got the goal against Watford - we would be 5th.

HUGHTON OUT.

(I voted 9/10)

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
9. Only disappointment for me was the complete failure to turn up at Leicester where we could have got something.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think there are two ways of looking at it. On paper, the team has done AMAZINGLY, considering where pretty much everyone expected them to be. In the top half after 11 games? You can talk about few games against the BIG teams, but this is the Premier League – they are all big teams (on paper, anyway!).

However, if you look at the opportunities 'lost' – Bmuff, Everton, Watford – there MAY be an argument we should have got more.

If I look at the first scenario, it's a 10; the second, an eight. So I'm going with NINE :albion2:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'd say a harsh 8.
If being critical we could of taken 2 more v Watford and 2 more v Everton and a point v Bournemouth where we were the better side and a point is the least we deserve
However it's been brilliant fun already, the team seem to be growing in confidence every week, unbeaten in 4, great team spirit which seems to be shining through more against the big bucks of the PL teams, brilliant crowd home and away and just a general feel good factor at the club.

This. Echos my thoughts exactly.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I have an 8.

Would be a 10 but amazingly the Everton draw felt like a loss after leading into the 90th min by giving away a penalty! And also leading against Bournemouth then losing was tough :facepalm: But thats football. Every point feels like a massive achievement and a step to safety, so when we give away a point(s) its a massive downer when you look at the table after and see where we could potentially of been.

Still great a great job!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got to to be a 10.

a) Summer Transfer Window
We signed 4 players who have never lived in England let alone played here. We missed out on a striker. How those players have settled into the Albion Family, how quickly they have integrated into the team, and the contributions they have been making is pretty astonishing. 10.

b) Dropped Points
Here we are, marking down the fact we could be on 20pts with a fair wind, a bit of luck, a different moment here or there. Far from a negative, it is a huge positive that we have been in the hunt for points in most games. We are up against huge quality in the PL, we are going to have points nicked from us, but blimey, we're hardly on 15 points through any luck, we know it could be more. 10.

c) Away Form
6 away games, 2 wins, 7 points. Burnley didn't win away from home once last season. 10.

d) Home Form
5 games, 2 wins, 2 draws, 8 points. 10.

e) Belief and Confidence
You can face a mountain if you don't start well. The belief is clearly flowing through our team. That belief will hopefully carry them through blips to come - and there will be blips, but we've already built a platform that a lot of these players know they can do it at this level. We have 37% of the points we need to stay up after playing 29% of the games. 10.

I think some of the marking on this thread is context of where we are now as a team, and yes, we know we could have more points from Watford, Bournemouth, Everton, however that is on reflection. You cast your mind back to where you might think we might be after 11 played before we took the pitch against Man City and I dare anyone to deny they'd be snatching your hand off for 15 points.

Keep our feet on the ground because there will be tough moments, a run of defeats, getting dragged into the mix no doubt, but as a start, 10 all day long.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I was going to put 7 but stopped myself. That's just stupid. We're top ten in the Premier League. 9.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I plumped for 8, but only because I'm listening to Chris and not leaving room for complacency. The missing 2 gives room for improvement.

In all seriousness, I keep pinching myself. 8th! Wonderful stuff.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here