Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Say it ain't so Lewis!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Ah that rant reminds me, I read something following on from the Rangers case. Where HMRC have been lobbying the Government to allow them to change some tax loophole and retrospectively apply the tax back ten years or so. Now on the one hand, I like the idea of closing a tax loophole. But I find the retrospective bit incredible. Find the issue, fix the issue. Don't go back in time and change the law!

The best part was that the MPs weren't really up for it. So the treasury went away for a think, they then came back with an amendment that states MPs were outside of the scope of the retrospective taxation. MPs duly voted it in. These are the animals that are in charge. Doesn't matter whether your favourite colour is blue, red or yellow frankly, they are nearly all leeches.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I propose we set up a Kickstarter campaign to pay for an NSC off-shore trading company. We can all put our wages through it and live tax free for the rest of our days, or the government would be forced to close the loophole if they notice large amounts of us ordinary plebs dodging their taxes too.

Based on my latest post, I'd imagine they'd come after the ordinary plebs very quickly and very hard. There would be no hiding. The big fish would get away, but we'd be slaughtered.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great. So we're having a rant about an F1 driver buying a plane under tax efficient advice from his well paid advisors. Meanwhile that uber c*** Bono continues to invest gazillions in tax dodges whilst telling every other f***er how to live their lives the ethical Bono way. W***er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boik

Are people really so stupid as to think that society could carry on if nobody paid any taxes? All this "We'd all do it if we could". No, some of us wouldn't actually. It's only the already rich who can afford to employ people to avoid taxes and they should have scorn poured upon them at every opportunity.

Are people really so stupid as to think that society could carry on if nobody paid any taxes? All this "We'd all do it if we could". No, some of us wouldn't actually. It's only the already rich who can afford to employ people to avoid taxes and they should have scorn poured upon them at every opportunity.
Rubbish.

I have many friends who are self-employed who pay half what I do in taxes while pocketing double what I earn.

A semi competent accountant can very easily achieve this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hopefully our chairman tax affairs between UK & Aus are whiter than white :albion2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He does not work or live in the UK though? Why should he pay taxes here? He should pay them were he works and lives.

Exactly. If someone moved to Australia or NZ, would they still be expected to pay UK taxes?

David Coultard lived in Monaco, Nigel Mansell lived in the Isle of Man. Why is there such outrage about Lewis Hamilton?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Exactly. If someone moved to Australia or NZ, would they still be expected to pay UK taxes?

David Coultard lived in Monaco, Nigel Mansell lived in the Isle of Man. Why is there such outrage about Lewis Hamilton?

Because a celeb needs picking on for media purposes

boik

Rubbish.

I have many friends who are self-employed who pay half what I do in taxes while pocketing double what I earn.

A semi competent accountant can very easily achieve this.

So are you saying that they're wrong, or you are? Or are you saying that it's rubbish that I happily paid higher rate tax almost all of my working life?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have an ISA. Am I insufficiently patriotic for you?

I think the previous poster's point was the juxtaposition of the public patriotism (albeit I can't recall seeing any) and the private tax minimisation (albeit I can hardly blame him) and his brother using the NHS more than most (albeit none of us have any evidence this is the case) is really annoying (albeit, it isn't particularly annoying).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Love Lewis me.

If I could avoid paying taxes I would too, good on you son.

God save her Maj too while we're at it.

Got private health care, or are you spending my tax when you get ill? :shrug:

So are you saying that they're wrong, or you are? Or are you saying that it's rubbish that I happily paid higher rate tax almost all of my working life?
I'm saying your statement that it's only the already rich can employ accountants to avoid tax is rubbish.

Got private health care, or are you spending my tax when you get ill? :shrug:
Yes I have private health, and yes I use the NHS.

But as I pay my tax via PAYE I'm not sure of your point.

Oh and of course by having private health I also have a higher tax code, so end up paying more in tax for taking a burden off the aforementioned NHS.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So what are the thoughts about the ordinary people from this country who have used the tax payer services to get educated and to help with any health issues they may have had (including check ups, etc) may have used the Police, Fire brigade, etc or at least had the opportunity to call upon them if they were needed but have since left this country to go and work in other countries around the World? Like in another EU country under the free movement of labour?

It's likely they have taken out far more than they will put back in (especially if they start working abroad soon after they finish their education and stay abroad for their entire careers)

Should they too have been expected to stay and contribute, or is it only celebs that come in for this criticism ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How much money do you have to earn before you can not pay tax? My wretched payroll department always makes me pay tax and deducts from my salary. How can I stop them? What do you have to do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here