Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Say it ain't so Lewis!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Nothing to do with it. It's about having a conscience.

I would wager that if a political party put out in it's manifesto an extra 5p on income tax to pay for social care / NHS /Housing etc they wouldn't get in.
Not everyone is as caring as you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's nothing faux about it. Wanting to pay less in taxes through legitimate schemes doesn't make anyone less patriotic.

As [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] says, change the law.

This.

Button, Mansell, Schmacher, Vettel, etc were/are all exiles. All donned their nations flags. But their very favourable tax staus is rarely mentioned.

People with mini vendettas cherry pick in these media storms, against celebs they're not keen on. Hamilton fits the bill. Green eyed monster.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know it's old hat. All these stories are. Just saw an opportunity to have a dig at Lewis Hamilton and took the opportunity.
Nothing to do with it. It's about having a conscience.

so which is it then, conscience or having a personal dislike of someone?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
This.

Button, Mansell, Schmacher, Vettel, etc were/are all exiles. All donned their nations flags. But their very favourable tax staus is rarely mentioned.

People with mini vendettas cherry pick in these media storms, against celebs they're not keen on. Hamilton fits the bill. Green eyed monster.

Mini Cooper actually.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not really the point. It's how much money do you actually want or need and how much you value the country/people that helped you get to where you are now (and where all your fans are)

He doesn’t live in the U.K.

If you wanted to pretend to be outraged why not go after your head of state, the queen, who has been naughty

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This.

Green-eyed monster? Why do some people think that criticisms of people over issues like this are always down to jealousy?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Indeed they do so the laws need changing

Does that mean you would abolish tax altogether? It's the only logical conclusion from that statement.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He’s a idiot. His brother suffers from cerebral palsy and has no doubt received plenty of support from the NHS but Lewis wants to take that money away from those public services so he can keep even more of his outrageous wealth.

Disgusting

So how much do you know about Lewis Hamilton, how much he has paid into our tax system over the years, any charity work or fundraising he has done (either directly or indirectly through donated items, etc) and so on

If his brother still needs any care (no presumption that he does, simply because he is disabled) how do you know if Lewis isn't paying for it directly rather than leaving it for the NHS to pick up the tab?

He doesn’t live in the U.K.

The inconvenient part that always gets overlooked when people make this sort of point.

I have a friend who lives in Spain, and has done for several years now and all they do is go on about crap like this, and how unfair everything is in the UK and how our services are underfunded, the poor are being exploited, etc - yet they pay nothing into our tax system themselves and more than happy to take out our the system for their own benefit when they were living here

If you wanted to pretend to be outraged why not go after your head of state, the queen, who has been naughty
She's not naughty, she's the Messiah

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s a idiot. His brother suffers from cerebral palsy and has no doubt received plenty of support from the NHS but Lewis wants to take that money away from those public services so he can keep even more of his outrageous wealth.

Disgusting

What's outrageous about LH's wealth? Sponsors and F1 teams, from their privately earned funds have paid him money for his services and his name.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Couldn't give a stuff about Lewis Hamilton- F1 is the most overrated and boring "sport " ever created.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecoffeecake

Oct 10, 2017
Philadelphia
I'm surprised Manx public financial institutions are separated from the UK's in such a significant way that this is possible. Not that I know dick about British tax policy to begin with.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If his brother still needs any care (no presumption that he does, simply because he is disabled) how do you know if Lewis isn't paying for it directly rather than leaving it for the NHS to pick up the tab?

as Nick Hamilton races professionally i'd say probably not, and with his media work too probably pays his own way.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I supposed none of us should be surprised that Lewes is being picked on. His image really doesn't sit well with a lot of people, for whatever their personal reasons. I actually think he comes across quite well. Of course he's going to base himself somewhere like Monaco, he's spending most of his life travelling around the world and hanging out with his celebrity friends. I would do exactly the same if I was in his position.

Do people really think he'll stay in the UK, employed and then pay nigh on 50% tax? It's not like the government are going to put it to good use, they'd probably spend double his tax take on ****ing fruit for a month.

People that can afford to will use whatever legal means they can to pay the minimum tax. The law allows it and that is exactly what needs to change. If people really care about this stuff they'd stop buying coffee from Starbucks, or using Google, or the goods / services of just about any large multinational!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Exactly, change the law

There's nothing faux about it. Wanting to pay less in taxes through legitimate schemes doesn't make anyone less patriotic.

As [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] says, change the law.

It's not against the law so no real story. It should be illegal for individuals and companies, if you live and operate within the UK and use our road infrastructure and have the benefits of living in such a privileged society then you should have to pay!

I know individuals pay for travel related things via road tax and tax on petrol so those who use pay more but everyone needs to play their part and pay their part

Firstly I better declare that I am not a fan of Hamilton or Formula 1, just in case anyone thinks that is relevant.

From what I heard on the radio reports, there is a very good chance that this is tax evasion, under current law, it just needs to be enforced. The inland revenue are easily outgunned by Corporate tax experts and [MENTION=15182]Perkino[/MENTION]'s response aptly sums up the problem. It's not against the law based on the opinion of who exactly? The tax consultant who dreamt up the scheme.

According to the report Hamilton flew his jet into the Isle Of Man once to register it there and provided it was used for Corporate lease and not for personal use he could avoid paying £3m in VAT. The leaked papers suggest that he has 80 hours a month of personal use.

More from the Guardian here https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...-taxes-jet-isle-of-man-scheme-paradise-papers

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I propose we set up a Kickstarter campaign to pay for an NSC off-shore trading company. We can all put our wages through it and live tax free for the rest of our days, or, the government would be forced to close the loophole if they notice large amounts of us ordinary plebs dodging their taxes too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here