Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What has happened to Walton, Lua Lua and Stockdale?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So many bitter fans still over the Stockdale transfer. Move on.

He is currently out of the team as he knocked out another player in training and broke his hand. Bloody stupid thing to do, but Birminghams problems go much deeper than Stockdale. He was a part of our Promotion to the Premier League he will always be fondly remembered by me and I am sure a lot of other fans.

No doubt, you all stalk your exs on a regular basis as well.

No bitterness from me – I love the guy because of his efforts on and off the pitch throughout the time that he was with us.

There was CONFUSION from me, more than anything. Yes, he got offered a HUGE wedge from Birmingham, so that was his main motivation for going. But as a professional footballer, would you not want to be part of a team who achieved their aim of getting to the top flight? Even if you might not be the No.1 choice in your position?He could have trained on, fought for his position and possibly earned a contract extension at the Albion. The chance to play in the Premier League doesn't look like it's going to come to Birmingham anytime soon and he's not really helping his cause of a move out of there by fighting teammates (allegedly).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hang on...Stockdale said in an interview that he signed for Birmingham because of the fans PASHUN. He saw them celebrate a goal at Bristol or something, and thought "stuff BHA and the Premier League...I'm having me some of that".

Makes perfect sense.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hang on...Stockdale said in an interview that he signed for Birmingham because of the fans PASHUN. He saw them celebrate a goal at Bristol or something, and thought "stuff BHA and the Premier League...I'm having me some of that".

Makes perfect sense.

While I also cringed at that interview, it must have been very hard for him to give the real reason which was either a) They want to replace me or b) Show me the money.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No bitterness from me – I love the guy because of his efforts on and off the pitch throughout the time that he was with us.

There was CONFUSION from me, more than anything. Yes, he got offered a HUGE wedge from Birmingham, so that was his main motivation for going. But as a professional footballer, would you not want to be part of a team who achieved their aim of getting to the top flight? Even if you might not be the No.1 choice in your position?He could have trained on, fought for his position and possibly earned a contract extension at the Albion. The chance to play in the Premier League doesn't look like it's going to come to Birmingham anytime soon and he's not really helping his cause of a move out of there by fighting teammates (allegedly).

He spent many years as number 2 keeper at Fulham, which is why he came to us. He wanted to play regularly. I can see why he wanted to go to Birmingham as he knew we were after another keeper. He got a 3 year contract, instead of what we were offering.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He spent many years as number 2 keeper at Fulham, which is why he came to us. He wanted to play regularly. I can see why he wanted to go to Birmingham as he knew we were after another keeper. He got a 3 year contract, instead of what we were offering.

But he went there knowing they already had Kuszczak. He started the season probably because he was the more expensive of the two, but he won't get back in now that Redknapp has been sold. I understand why people make the case for it being a footballing decision but I really think everyone should be honest with themselves and admit the truth - £££ ONLY.

The difference between Kuszczak and Stockdale is fairly negligible, apart from their kicking ability.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But he went there knowing they already had Kuszczak. He started the season probably because he was the more expensive of the two, but he won't get back in now that Redknapp has been sold. I understand why people make the case for it being a footballing decision but I really think everyone should be honest with themselves and admit the truth - £££ ONLY.

The difference between Kuszczak and Stockdale is fairly negligible, apart from their kicking ability.

I disagree. Stockdale is a much better keeper than Kuszczak, which is why the latter was released by us for the former.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I disagree. Stockdale is a much better keeper than Kuszczak, which is why the latter was released by us for the former.

I think Kuszczak probably had other reasons for leaving!

Keeping him for another season instead of spending £1million on Stockdale wouldn't have been the worst business done that summer...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think Kuszczak probably had other reasons for leaving!

Keeping him for another season instead of spending £1million on Stockdale wouldn't have been the worst business done that summer...

Purely rumour and conjecture. Someone told me the person supposedly involved didn't settle in England and went back to Spain. The manager had a taxi waiting to take him to Gatwick after the game, and Nathan did most of the training. So which story do you believe?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Purely rumour and conjecture. Someone told me the person supposedly involved didn't settle in England and went back to Spain. The manager had a taxi waiting to take him to Gatwick after the game, and Nathan did most of the training. So which story do you believe?

I'm just amazed it took the club FOUR goes to appoint the first fully-SANE manager of the Amex era:lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Hmm, maybe, but I would imagine a bigger incentive was the security of a three-year deal, rather than the game time. I'm not saying it wasn't a factor – and I'm not saying it is/was the wrong thing to do – but I think money shouted loudest in this particular scenario.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hmm, maybe, but I would imagine a bigger incentive was the security of a three-year deal, rather than the game time. I'm not saying it wasn't a factor – and I'm not saying it is/was the wrong thing to do – but I think money shouted loudest in this particular scenario.

We all know it's the money, there's only one person who doesn't seem to agree.

He went there for the financial security of a 3 year contract. Cash money in the bank and to hell with everything else.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This.

Him and his agent will have trousered an EPIC signing on fee for moving there on a free transfer, especially with it being 'arry doing the deal. Pity he didn't fancy fighting for his place and testing himself at the highest level, especially in a World Cup year. And its proved to be a horrific career move, as everyone knew full well it would be. But he's made himself very rich off the back of it, so...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Stockdale. From being the Championship’s best keeper in a promotion achieving team with a shiny new Premier League contract waiting to be signed to being second choice in a poor side in 21st place in the Championship. Time to sack the agent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Walton played for our dev squad recently, so he's back from his injury.

Not sure if he goes back to Wigan now, gets a different loan in January, or joins our squad instead of Maenpaa when it's renominated on Feb 1 - if we need to add another 'home grown' player.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Buckley came on as sub for Bolton and played the Baldock role up front against PNE and looked quite sharp. 12 touches in 18 minutes which makes me think a forward sub after 66 minutes is not very likely to produce a goal.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I heard Walton had been injured, but that was weeks back and he's not featuring for Wigan, not even on the bench. Still injured?
Lua Lua not even on the bench for QPR. What has happened?
Same with Stockdale???

And anyone know how Ince is doing at Bury?

It's the Brighton curse. Has any player ever gone to another club, and not had their career nosedive? Zamorra comes to mind, though he never had the same goalscoring rate elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here