Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Louis Theroux - Scientology

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What a lot of old bollocks as is all religion.

When you're dead , you are dead. It will feel like it did in the womb..........nothing.

An endless nothingness , enjoy what you have now as it will all be over one day

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
What a lot of old bollocks as is all religion.

When you're dead , you are dead. It will feel like it did in the womb..........nothing.

An endless nothingness , enjoy what you have now as it will all be over one day
Agree
It's quiet clear with most religions that being dead is a better place and that makes being born pretty bloody pointless.How on earth do we go about educating these freaks into believing that your life is precious and after death is bollocks.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting it costs between 500k and 2kk to get to the top of the tree, the whole thing is a huge scam. Half of them probably used to sell Amway before

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
There are some very dismissive and disrespectful comments about religion on this thread.

As long as people aren't harming others, I don't see the problem with mainstream religion.

The Scientologists bring problems on themselves by being so secretive, and would appear to be very expensive which raises suspicions about their motives.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
There are some very dismissive and disrespectful comments about religion on this thread.

As long as people aren't harming others, I don't see the problem with mainstream religion.

The Scientologists bring problems on themselves by being so secretive, and would appear to be very expensive which raises suspicions about their motives.

I can’t think of any religion that hasn’t harmed others somewhere along the line. Perhaps Buddhism.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

You've answered your own question in one sentence.

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
i think the key difference is that religions are created to try to make sence of the world and give people some order (and essentially control them - there's similarity there of course). Scientology was conceived for personal financial gain, its status of "religion" is from US rules on protecting religious believes.

Noted that members had to pay for classes to improve their standing in the cult,would have thought that the Trump man had missed an opportunity

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I can’t think of any religion that hasn’t harmed others somewhere along the line. Perhaps Buddhism.

I agree that there have been wars and troubles where religion has been a contributing factor.

But to dismiss all religion and say that God doesn't exist is very disrespectful to the millions, possibly even billions of people in the world who would identify themselves as following a religion. They clearly believe that there is a higher being, and we should respect that, even if we don't agree.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I agree that there have been wars and troubles where religion has been a contributing factor.

But to dismiss all religion and say that God doesn't exist is very disrespectful to the millions, possibly even billions of people in the world who would identify themselves as following a religion. They clearly believe that there is a higher being, and we should respect that, even if we don't agree.

If people want to believe in that hokum that’s up to them but I can’t take seriously anyone that does.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
You've answered your own question in one sentence.
Violence occurs between all sorts of groups who don't agree with the other's point of view. Football rivalries are a prime example.

I think it would be fair to say that 99% of all religious people have never been involved in violence, nor would they condone it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Why? If you think something is complete nonsense then are you not allowed to say so? "Respecting religious beliefs" is one of the biggest cons in the world (and that's saying something).

Religion (used one way or another) is responsible for huge amounts of conflict, misery and destruction and always has been. If someone gets offended by me saying that I think that is a bad thing then I honestly couldn't care less.

It's nonsense and it's hugely harmful nonsense that the world would be a much better place without. Just because millions of people are still ignorant enough to believe in fairy tales, those beliefs should be given no more credence than someone who believes that elves make shoes.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Violence occurs between all sorts of groups who don't agree with the other's point of view. Football rivalries are a prime example.

I think it would be fair to say that 99% of all religious people have never been involved in violence, nor would they condone it.

Staggeringly ignorant. I wonder what the stats are between numbers killed by football violence and those killed by religious wars / genocide / terrorism etc etc. Actually, I don't.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Just because millions of people are still ignorant enough to believe in fairy tales, those beliefs should be given no more credence than someone who believes that elves make shoes.

I think you, describing billions of people as 'ignorant', is quite telling.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think you, describing billions of people as 'ignorant', is quite telling.

Really? How's that then? Do explain.

https://www.economist.com/news/inte...igiousand-less-superstitious-too-falling-away

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-8758046.html

Or any other of the hundreds of links on the subject. More educated = less likely to believe in nonsense, including religion.

I see you've chosen to ignore all the other points as well and instead make some smug attempt to twist what I was saying as offensive. 1/10.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Why is it disrespectful to disagree, and what difference does it make how many people are believers? I don't believe any of it, but that doesn't mean I am disrespectful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why? If you think something is complete nonsense then are you not allowed to say so? "Respecting religious beliefs" is one of the biggest cons in the world (and that's saying something).

Religion (used one way or another) is responsible for huge amounts of conflict, misery and destruction and always has been. If someone gets offended by me saying that I think that is a bad thing then I honestly couldn't care less.

It's nonsense and it's hugely harmful nonsense that the world would be a much better place without. Just because millions of people are still ignorant enough to believe in fairy tales, those beliefs should be given no more credence than someone who believes that elves make shoes.

Post of the week.

If there is a god, let the schmucky****er strike me down now, because if he does exists (and he doesn't) he is a sadistic dick head, allowing all the suffering, child abuse, genocide and general thundercuntery in the world.

I like a bit of science fiction, and it cheers me up, but I don't think it would be useful, or remotly sane, to believe that The Lord Voldemort will ride in on a unicorn and blow a jeddi up my jacksy if I don't say ten hail mary's on my bended knee before bed time, while snogging the new Doctor.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Post of the week.

If there is a god, let the schmucky****er strike me down now, because if he does exists (and he doesn't) he is a sadistic dick head, allowing all the suffering, child abuse, genocide and general thundercuntery in the world.

I like a bit of science fiction, and it cheers me up, but I don't think it would be useful, or remotly sane, to believe that The Lord Voldemort will ride in on a unicorn and blow a jeddi up my jacksy if I don't say ten hail mary's on my bended knee before bed time, while snogging the new Doctor.

I was just about to say that.

If a real god introduced itself to me tomorrow, I might be inclined to believe, but I would still despise religion.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here