Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Slaven Bilic sacked by West Ham [Moyes in]

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I hear what everyone is saying on here, but for me that’s one of the regelation places fixed. I don’t see him as a manger to turn them around

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope and pray that we dont have a bad run and them a good one so that we swap places by Easter. I wouldnt say that them being relegated is by anyway a foregone fact by any means as many are now saying on here.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Disagree with that. Fergie was an exceptional manager and a winner. Whoever took over from him was onto a hiding to nothing. There was always going to be that transitional period.

Fergie left because of age and health i guess.

Old Redface knew exactly what he was doing. He performed a minor miracle to win the league with an ageing and relatively poor squad. He knew that without massive investment (and even possibly with) the next season was going to be a nightmare for whoever was in charge. He bailed out at the perfect time and handed the poisoned chalice to Moyes who was given neither the time nor the resources to stand a chance. Must have made a few quid out of that 6 year contract though.

I'm no Moyes apologist and the way he behaved at Sunderland was very poor (although he probably didn't realise what an utter trainwreck he'd walked into until it was too late) but you underestimate Ferguson's cunning and timing when it came to jumping ship. If it was down to age and health then he'd have retired years ago when he originally said he was going to (but they won nothing that season and his ego wouldn't let him).

Anyway, it remains to be seen but if West Ham get the Sunderland version of Moyes then they are well and truly screwed. I've never seen a manager so less up for a relegation battle. Be interesting to see his demeanour after a couple of defeats.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be fair, Sunderland had been in a relegation dogfight the previous five seasons - and most of those escaping at the very last minute. I think everyone and his dog had worked out that it would a struggle.

I'd exempt him MU and Sunderland - Real Sociedad is the real stain on his CV

His entire demeanour at Sunderland was defeatist right from the off though. Almost as though he was trying to absolve himself of any blame if/when the inevitable happened, because "well, its Sunderland". There's a difference between tempering expectations (as CH has done here), and all but writing off the season from the get-go. How would that have made his squad of players feel - they'd hardly be running through brick walls for him with his attitude.

I'll stand to be corrected here, time will tell. But I will be genuinely astonished if he manages to turn things round at West Ham. He's just not the man you want coming in to an underperforming group of players.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Old Redface knew exactly what he was doing. He performed a minor miracle to win the league with an ageing and relatively poor squad. He knew that without massive investment (and even possibly with) the next season was going to be a nightmare for whoever was in charge. He bailed out at the perfect time and handed the poisoned chalice to Moyes who was given neither the time nor the resources to stand a chance.

Absolutely this, with knobs on. When Busby left United after years of success, he still hung around the place, effectively undermining his immediate successors; he certainly did for McGuiness and O'Farrell. Ferguson, to be fair, did make a point of distancing himself, but in the end the senior players did the job instead - they never really got behind Moyes.

Is he the right answer for West Ham? I've no idea..............!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On the subject of managerial vacancies, apparently the Everton owner's first choice for theirs is Diego Simeone.

[emoji38]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
On the subject of managerial vacancies, apparently the Everton owner's first choice for theirs is Diego Simeone.

[emoji38]

Hilarious. I heard this morning that the shortlist was Fat Sam, "A Premier League Manager" (Dyche), Unsworth and "A Top European Manager" (so that'll be Simeone).

LOLZ.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
His entire demeanour at Sunderland was defeatist right from the off though. Almost as though he was trying to absolve himself of any blame if/when the inevitable happened, because "well, its Sunderland". There's a difference between tempering expectations (as CH has done here), and all but writing off the season from the get-go. How would that have made his squad of players feel - they'd hardly be running through brick walls for him with his attitude.

I'll stand to be corrected here, time will tell. But I will be genuinely astonished if he manages to turn things round at West Ham. He's just not the man you want coming in to an underperforming group of players.

I agree with you. West Ham say they are attracted by Moyes' experiences, knowledge of the Prem and the players in it, but Bilic had all of that. What Bilic also had was West Ham pedigree - he "got" the Hammers. I thought FDB was a bad fit for Palace and I feel Moyes is a bad fit for West Ham, I feel they need someone with a bit of the Gus Poyet or Paolo Di Canio about them to light a fire under the place.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I agree with you. West Ham say they are attracted by Moyes' experiences, knowledge of the Prem and the players in it, but Bilic had all of that. What Bilic also had was West Ham pedigree - he "got" the Hammers. I thought FDB was a bad fit for Palace and I feel Moyes is a bad fit for West Ham, I feel they need someone with a bit of the Gus Poyet or Paolo Di Canio about them to light a fire under the place.
We're still talking about West Ham, right?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Old Redface knew exactly what he was doing. He performed a minor miracle to win the league with an ageing and relatively poor squad. He knew that without massive investment (and even possibly with) the next season was going to be a nightmare for whoever was in charge. He bailed out at the perfect time and handed the poisoned chalice to Moyes who was given neither the time nor the resources to stand a chance. Must have made a few quid out of that 6 year contract though.

I'm no Moyes apologist and the way he behaved at Sunderland was very poor (although he probably didn't realise what an utter trainwreck he'd walked into until it was too late) but you underestimate Ferguson's cunning and timing when it came to jumping ship. If it was down to age and health then he'd have retired years ago when he originally said he was going to (but they won nothing that season and his ego wouldn't let him).

Anyway, it remains to be seen but if West Ham get the Sunderland version of Moyes then they are well and truly screwed. I've never seen a manager so less up for a relegation battle. Be interesting to see his demeanour after a couple of defeats.....
This all day long.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I hope and pray that we dont have a bad run and them a good one so that we swap places by Easter. I wouldnt say that them being relegated is by anyway a foregone fact by any means as many are now saying on here.

This is the thing though. It wouldn't even need a particular good run from them to overtake us. It is only six points. The hubris on display on this site over the last few weeks is really starting to worry me. We are not safe and like every year in the Prem all the rest of the league outside the top 6 are much of a muchness. You are not safe until it is mathematically done.

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So that's West Ham and Palace down.Only one other team to worry about.Having said that with us being 8th I'm now looking more at our competition for a Champions League spot.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
. The hubris on display on this site over the last few weeks is really starting to worry me. We are not safe and like every year in the Prem all the rest of the league outside the top 6 are much of a muchness. You are not safe until it is mathematically done.

Indeed. We are almost certainly going to have a very poor run at some stage this season. Whilst we are doing fantastically Its worth noting that on average promoted teams usually get in excess of ten points first quarter of the season and then usually hit a tough patch over the xmas moths where weaker squads take effect. We are potentially an injury for one or two key players away from having some real selection problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here