Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Slaven Bilic sacked by West Ham [Moyes in]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, I remember being genuinely gutted when we didn't get Gannon. (Where is he now btw? Anyone know?) Ditto Paul Clement as there was talk of him coming to us and I thought he'd be brilliant. Both bullets dodged as it turned out.

Football's littered with managers who are the footballing equivalent of 'one-hit wonders': people who do a brilliant job at one club at one time, but can never get close to replicating it anywhere else. To keep the Everton connection going do you remember Mike Walker? He was brilliant at Norwich, but sank without trace at Everton (I think he's their worst-performing manager of all time). Our very own Alan Mullery probably comes into this category as well.

I think there's a difference between doing a good job, and being good at a job. I think Moyes did a good job at Everton, but that he's not a particularly good manager and that's based on Real Sociedad where he did badly other than the first half season when he helped them pull away from relegation bother, and then he was terrible for Sunderland. Terrible. Having spent decent money on players as well, including crazy money on Papy Djilobodji and Didier Ndong, not to mention the Man Utd rejects like Paddy McNair (who now thinks he's an attacking midfielder!).

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Realistically it's going to be hard for Moyes to do worse than he did at Sunderland. If West Ham are above bottom of the Championship this time next year it will be an improvement.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Feel sorry for Bilic, he seems to be a good honest person who has not got it right. It would be interesting to see how many of the signings were his.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If I was a Hammers fan, which I am not, I would be far happier to have Moyes than a lot of managers that are on the look out for a job. I think that he will keep them up.
He did that job quite well last season at Sunderland???

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't understand the world of football managers. It seems that no matter how CRAP you've been in your past few jobs (even if you've been good in ONE job in the past), you'll almost always get another gig! Billic out and his replacement that yes, did well at Everton, but then failed at THREE subsequent jobs.

I could be proved wrong and he could spectacularly turn things around, but SURELY there have got to be better candidates than him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here