Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we rest players vs Man Utd ?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Fascinating period coming up after the international break.

A very winnable game Vs Stoke and then Man U , palace and Liverpool in quick succession. 4 games in less than 2 weeks.

You would have to think there would be some serious rotation for the man u game, I would be very tempted to give some of the fringe/squad players a game in that one. Baldock, kayal, hune (Duffy will need a rest), Solly, hemed, suttner, brown must all be in with a shout.

Im not one for heavy squad rotation but to have the players fresh for palace is so much more important for me.

Thoughts

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I can see your logic, and maybe rotation will be needed, but CH will always put a side out that he thinks is capable of getting a result. We have a few obvious like for like swaps we can make, without really harming the strength of the team.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Are you joking? Dunk and Duffy will have LukaPOO in their pockets. Stephens will have the beating of Mikitharirithirkiiki and the wings will be a gold mine for us. Murray losing a header to Phil Jones? Behave yourself.

We will beat Manchester United and then we will beat Crystal Palace. Simple as that. No need to rest anyone.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
There is scope to rotate without significant weakening, in SOME areas:

Bong / Suttner
Jose / March / Knocky
Murray / Hemed

The Dunk+Duffy and Stephens+Davy pairings are sacrosanct though, IMO.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, I think changes should only be made if required. For example, if Murray is knackered after the United game then Hemed can come in. If Duffy is shattered, Hünemeier can step in. I don't think rotating them for the sake of it is wise, our settled team and formation is a large part of why we're so successful and there's no need to change it.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Why the hell would we rest players?

Jose is renowned for playing very defensive football away, we could come out with points. Why would we just roll over and admit defeat by benching our best players? We held city to 2-0 when we weren't fully firing, we can give any team a good go at the Amex.

EDIT: forgot its at Old Trafford :ffsparr: but my point still stands. don't show respect to these big teams. stick it to em

Last edited:

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009

Jose is renowned for playing very defensive football away, we could come out with points. Why would we just roll over and admit defeat by benching our best players? We held city to 2-0 when we weren't fully firing, we can give any team a good go at the Amex.

It's at old trafford.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bong / Suttner
Jose / March / Knocky
Murray / Hemed

That saves me from writing!

I know the OP is :fishing: but with all the evidence so far CH has no intention of playing to win at Old Trafford, which this time is fair enough, so it's not like we'll be losing points anyway.

Because of their respective league positions Stoke and palace are far more important, and should be treated as such.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012

Except it's at Old Trafford..

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
No, I think changes should only be made if required. For example, if Murray is knackered after the United game then Hemed can come in. If Duffy is shattered, Hünemeier can step in. I don't think rotating them for the sake of it is wise, our settled team and formation is a large part of why we're so successful and there's no need to change it.

It isn't that simple though. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, the next run of games is 11 matches in just 40something days. There is no way in the world that Bruno and Murray will manage all of them. Hughton has to decide whether to let them run themselves into the ground, and THEN have to rest them, or manage them through it with rotation.

With Murray it can be done in-game, of course. Try to get him playing every match, but bring him off when possible, to protect his fitness. He wouldn't want to do that with a defender.

Propper and Stephens are the toughest ones. Their pairing is crucial to how we are doing, but the effort asked of them every game is a concern, IMO. A fully firing Beram Kayal to come on for either / or at 60 minutes of a few games would be a huge help.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Bong / Suttner
Jose / March / Knocky
Murray / Hemed

Agreed - I can see Schelotto getting a run-out instead of Bruno at some point in the next few weeks. Quite possible Kayal will get some game time as a sub for one of Stephens or Propper if the state of the game allows it (ie we're winning easily, or getting mullered)

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
There has only been 11 league games since August with 3 breaks for internationals so they should still be fresh.

Some have played two additional matches in each of those international 'breaks', though!

(Ryan, Duffy, Hemed, Propper)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It isn't that simple though. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, the next run of games is 11 matches in just 40something days. There is no way in the world that Bruno and Murray will manage all of them. Hughton has to decide whether to let them run themselves into the ground, and THEN have to rest them, or manage them through it with rotation.

With Murray it can be done in-game, of course. Try to get him playing every match, but bring him off when possible, to protect his fitness. He wouldn't want to do that with a defender.

Propper and Stephens are the toughest ones. Their pairing is crucial to how we are doing, but the effort asked of them every game is a concern, IMO. A fully firing Beram Kayal to come on for either / or at 60 minutes of a few games would be a huge help.

I'm not concerned about the run of games, we've got Hemed to come in for Murray as required and Brown as a back up. We've got Rosenior sitting around waiting for a chance, not to mention Schelotto who came to play and not sit around looking at the sea. Suttner knows he'll be back in the team and Kayal is class. We've got Skalak and Murphy watching better wingers show them up significantly but they might get a chance to stake a claim at some point. All over the pitch we've got good options, up front we've only got Murray and Hemed with Brown if needed but everywhere else we've got good options. Or, good numbers at least.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just ask the players if they want to be rested for United.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fascinating period coming up after the international break.

A very winnable game Vs Stoke and then Man U , palace and Liverpool in quick succession. 4 games in less than 2 weeks.

You would have to think there would be some serious rotation for the man u game, I would be very tempted to give some of the fringe/squad players a game in that one. Baldock, kayal, hune (Duffy will need a rest), Solly, hemed, suttner, brown must all be in with a shout.

Im not one for heavy squad rotation but to have the players fresh for palace is so much more important for me.

Thoughts

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No chance. If a rotated squad got spanked 5-0, it would set squad morale back massively. It's not a risk worth taking, especially as Man Utd are not what they were. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could get something from that one anyway. Of the big six teams, I believe Man Utd is the team we are most likely to get anything from, especially if they underestimate us.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Would be good to see Baldock get some minutes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here