Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garth Crooks' Team of the Week

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So far I have been quite surprised by how little Hughton has been linked with other jobs. Good news clearly, but hard to understand. I imagine it is some combination of him just being a humble bloke and not touting himself around and briefing for jobs, and also being genuinely happy with his lot doing a great job at a progressive club where he enjoys total respect. You only have to look around to see the grass isn't always greener. And he also isn't coasting, Brighton are ambitious.

Suspect calls/enquiries have been made by various agents for certain jobs at 'big' clubs, but all will have been met with a very clear and blunt '**** off he's not moving/I'm not moving' from TB and CH respectively, hence his name doesn't get linked and the bookies don't even offer odds.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Two Brighton - and two ex-Brighton! Four out of eleven is pretty impressive (and, fwiw, I'd have liked us to have kept Van La Parra at the time!)

Me also, I was very suprised we never made the effort to sign him(Van La Para).

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Not keen on Crook's comments about Hughton and Everton though.

It is amazing isn't it. Everton ? Panorama investigation asking who owns them, which will lead to the inevitable 'run by dodgy foreign gangsters' statements, whether true or not. Team look poor, stadium is an homage to the 50s....not a lot going for them really~~?

Counter this with us...owned by a true supporter, 21st C stadium and academy set up, team doing well.....

I would safely say that any manager would prefer to manage us rather than Everton..... More of this distorted'Big Club' nonsense........look at the Yorkshire massives?

TNBA

TTF

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know there is all this 'big club' historical BS, but why would Dyche – or Hughton for that matter – want to go to Everton or West Ham (if/when the job comes up)? Not JUST because their respective clubs are both higher in the table than the two 'big teams' mentioned, but there is stability, structure and a great deal of trust that goes both ways.

I guess there's the money available – salary AND transfer fund – but who REALLY knows how much Tony is willing to front up for the Albion? Could be many MANY millions more before too long. I'm also willing to bet that he would pay over the odds to keep hold of Chris, too...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/sp...ughton-would-be-perfect-for-everton-1-8230991

According to a quote in the above paper.
Girth Crooks must have the ear of the PL clubs.

"Chris Hughton is doing such a fantastic job at Brighton it is almost an indictment that Everton have not approached him to fill their vacancy. I have already recommended Sean Dyche for the post, but I can't mention the Burnley manager without mentioning Hughton in the same breath. Hughton has, unlike Dyche, done the business at a number of clubs and is a conservative manager in the sense that he will not spend a chairman's money recklessly. He is respected by players, in a way the great former Everton manager Harry Catterick was adored by his playing staff, and is perfect for a club like Everton.

:shootself

There was us thinking that Football boards would do some "Due Diligence" on selecting a new manager, when all along they just ask "Who would Garth Crooks recommend?".

He must make a fortune in consultancy/Commission.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought you were going to say you are a young 21 going on 50?? :)
I've done my time, paid my dues.

I could have been at the game of the first goal in Crooks montage, although as it was Spurs that would have been unlikely.
Which explains why my first ever game was Arsenal v Bristol City in '76 (I think).
I spent 90 minutes in awe of the 40 foot tall Willy Young.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've done my time, paid my dues.

I could have been at the game of the first goal in Crooks montage, although as it was Spurs that would have been unlikely.
Which explains why my first ever game was Arsenal v Bristol City in '76 (I think).
I spent 90 minutes in awe of the 40 foot tall Willy Young.

I always thought that Joe Jordan could've been cast as Jaws in the Bond films :wozza:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It is amazing isn't it. Everton ? Panorama investigation asking who owns them, which will lead to the inevitable 'run by dodgy foreign gangsters' statements, whether true or not. Team look poor, stadium is an homage to the 50s....not a lot going for them really~~?

Counter this with us...owned by a true supporter, 21st C stadium and academy set up, team doing well.....

I would safely say that any manager would prefer to manage us rather than Everton..... More of this distorted'Big Club' nonsense........look at the Yorkshire massives?

TNBA

TTF

difference being that we are possibly at the peak of things right now where as if you take over at Everton now then the likelihood ( other than the massive pay increase ) is you will take them up the table and further improve the CV / look to win trophy's.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Me also, I was very suprised we never made the effort to sign him(Van La Para).

It was because we had Knockaert lined up already.. didn't need both, and we opted for the right one.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Two Brighton - and two ex-Brighton! Four out of eleven is pretty impressive (and, fwiw, I'd have liked us to have kept Van La Parra at the time!)

There’s no doubting Van La Parra is a better player now than he was then ..he showed promise but Wagner’s been good for him

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
difference being that we are possibly at the peak of things right now where as if you take over at Everton now then the likelihood ( other than the massive pay increase ) is you will take them up the table and further improve the CV / look to win trophy's.

He's on to a good thing with us and we likewise with him. Everton will be building their new ground over the next two years and the spending on massive player transfers will inevitably slow as funds are diverted ( see Arsenal, us etc). Being a very conservative club in somewhat of a crises they will go for total experience allowing a 6 - 10 place finish - as per usual.

Stumpy Tim

There’s no doubting Van La Parra is a better player now than he was then ..he showed promise but Wagner’s been good for him

My Huddersfield supporting friends all think RVP is a bit sh*t. One good game in five apparently.

What on earth is Crooks talking about here though:

"David Wagner and his boys are having one hell of a ride at the moment, buoyed by their marvellous fans. How long it continues depends on the ambitions of the club. Staying in the Premier League can be extremely expensive, but the rewards can be immense. Huddersfield clearly have the right man at the helm - the question I would pose is: Do they have the right men in the boardroom?"

What gives him the right to say things like that? The chairman is an extremely popular guy up there, and the board hired Wagner - and persuaded him to stay when big clubs came calling last season. I don't see Crooks asking questions of the Everton board - including several dodgy Russians.

Utter Bellend

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My Huddersfield supporting friends all think RVP is a bit sh*t. One good game in five apparently.

What on earth is Crooks talking about here though:

"David Wagner and his boys are having one hell of a ride at the moment, buoyed by their marvellous fans. How long it continues depends on the ambitions of the club. Staying in the Premier League can be extremely expensive, but the rewards can be immense. Huddersfield clearly have the right man at the helm - the question I would pose is: Do they have the right men in the boardroom?"

What gives him the right to say things like that? The chairman is an extremely popular guy up there, and the board hired Wagner - and persuaded him to stay when big clubs came calling last season. I don't see Crooks asking questions of the Everton board - including several dodgy Russians.

Utter Bellend

Indeed. FFS there must be ten clubs with more clueless owners in the top two divisions. Obviously you've got West Ham and Sunderland, but as you say, Everton's board needs a proper look. What an absolute FAT clown. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here