Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsene Wenger

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I agree. I used to have total respect for Wenger and thought Mourinho was a breath of fresh air. I mute the volume now when either speak. Although I can’t stand Chelsea I do hope Conte doesn’t end up an annoying git like the other two. Pep won’t I’m sure of it. Why does Mourhino hang around as a manager he obviously hates every minute of it.

Surely Pep is half way there?

"Tackles......what is tackles?" and "The ball was awful in the Carabao Cup" to name two incidents of complete and utter twattishness.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I feel Arsene has done tremendously well there, but it is time to move on.
They are now stagnating with him at the helm, let smug Eddie take the job on, so that we can finish the season above Arsenal !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every time I see a picture of Conte he looks like he is going to cry.

I thought that about David Stockdale whenever he was interviewed :smile:

Going against the grain on this thread I like Wenger.

Oct 25, 2003
I just get the impression that football has caught up with, and overtaken, Wenger (a while ago to be honest) and he hasn't been able to adapt to the change.

To put it bluntly, people have taken the methods that he introduced and done them better than him

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Wenger was always as prejudiced and blinkered as every other football manager but he always got a good press because of the "new methods" he brought to Arsenal.

He was the first manager to send out a first team made up 100% of foreigners and now has the gall to tell Southgate to pick Wilshere when he won't even pick him himself.

I think he's quite a sad character now. It's obvious his time is up but he just can't let go. The atmosphere at the Emirates when they beat us awful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
Arsene Wenger did more than any other manager to modernize the game since the premier league came into being. Unfortunately his best work was done more than 10 years ago when his knowledge of European football and it's players was unrivaled. I admire him for sticking to his principles and to a certain extent his players must shoulder some of the blame. In their FA cup win last May they showed plenty of passion, urgency and commitment- qualities sadly lacking in many of their games these days.
He cuts an increasingly frustrated and bitter figure these days but is still highly regarded by many. After their FA cup tie last season, the Crowley brothers of Lincoln were full of admiration for the way he gave them over an hour and a half of his time post match to talk about football. His passion for the game is not in doubt. Unfortunately his coaching methods appear outdated these days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barry Glendenning is adamant that Ramsey and Sanchez have had a falling out and won't pass to each other.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I just get the impression that football has caught up with, and overtaken, Wenger (a while ago to be honest) and he hasn't been able to adapt to the change.

To put it bluntly, people have taken the methods that he introduced and done them better than him

Exactly right. When he arrived at Highbury he brought in new training methods and a new approach to diet, and took advantage of his knowledge of French football to sign players such as Vieira, Henry, Anelka, Petit et cetera at bargain prices. Rivals saw how successful that had been so they copied his methods and set up their own European scouting networks and Wenger’s advantages all disappeared.

Sadly, one area in which he began to lag behind early on was in not using a video analyst in the way that Big Sam or even Colin have done, to ensure that they do post-match media after seeing key incidents again. Colin even brought his analyst with him into one press conference and showed us on his laptop why a penalty should have been retaken.

He wasn’t the first manager to send out an all-foreign Premier League team though. That was Gianluca Vialli at Southampton on Boxing Day 1999.

Last edited:

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
An innovative and inspiring coach when he first arrived, but seems unwilling to acknowledge any fault in himself or any need to do anything differently. His time was probably up when Ferguson stopped trying to wind him up and started being nice to him.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
He's always been a whinger hasn't he? My memories of him years ago are constantly blaming officials when decisions went against them, but having 'not seen it' when his team got a decision.

Video refereeing will be very much welcome when it finally arrives. Goals like City's offside one shouldn't be allowed to stand with the technology we have these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here