Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Them up the road

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not getting carried away here they have had a really really difficult fixture list so far.
They've had 5 games against the top 6, compared with our 2. I'll also take nothing for granted. Instead, I'll bet on them staying up.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Zaha has a big World Cup qualifier against Morocco on Saturday. If he gets injured for a while there’s no way they’d be able to get themselves out of danger.

And Shane Duffy has a huge two-leg WC play-off against Denmark. I'm not going to be wishing injuries on anyone, tbh.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having seen some Prem sides this season, I have to say you have to be awful to go down. Much better sides in the Championship than some in the Prem.
Which ones in the PL are worse than those in the Championship?
Swansea were awful and you lost to them
But that was when trying to change style under FdB, so it's not indicative of how Palace will do in the remaining games.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Whilst I broadly agree with your point, I'm not going to be quite so punchy about it. I'll copy and paste something I wrote on this thread last night:

"The fact is you've been to four of the top six away whereas we've only had to do that once so far. You don't have to play another top 6 side until December 28th and before then we have to go to Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea and host Liverpool. You really shouldn't be 11 points adrift of us by the time you face Arsenal."​

I'll add that if we'd visited Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool and Spurs we'd not be in 8th place with 15 points. We could very well be 19th on 8 points.

What would be really useful is the opposite of our 'staying-up' tracker, where we can see how far Palace are behind the safety line, using the same logic as Giraffe has in his tracker.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What would be really useful is the opposite of our 'staying-up' tracker, where we can see how far Palace are behind the safety line, using the same logic as Giraffe has in his tracker.

Is it...

Bottom half last season (or newly promoted): 1 point away, 3 points at home.
Top half last season: 0 points home and away.

If so, I make it that they should have 11 points.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

:whistle:

Palace points.jpg
Palace graph.jpg

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
You think if they go down they will be able to consider a return? I suspect financial issues might arise given their history...
I said at least one season, but like you, suspect they are a ticking time bomb financially. Could see them doing a Portsmouth (we can but hope).

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's no secret that quite soon after his appointment, senior players were questioning his approach. He was never a good fit for our club, and I wanted Dyche, who I thought was a ideal choice.
A monumental cock up by the club.
We are finally playing to our strengths, but only time will tell if it's too late .
Also no secret how your fans were expecting to be challenging for Europe with FDB. Always hilarious, now the real question is - how worried are you lot about being relegated and its impact on your finances?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I've just had a look at their upcoming fixtures and I'm distressed to see they have two home matches before playing us. So they haven't a goal or point away from home and their next match on the road is us. You just know what's coming next.

I know, I know. I shouldn't be pessimistic but the scars run deep. First home league defeat and the playoff semi at The Amex. Ugh! Please not again.

I shall be there cheering us on but I shall feel so nervous I'll feel like puking.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Err, because they're our rivals and wouldn't be able to lord it over us for at least one season.

No, because they are an unpleasant bunch of tw@ts who I would love to see relegated. Sadly, they will do what they always do and stay up.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
After-timing nonsense. If you had 7 points, you'd still be dead last FFS.

And I don't recall many of you NigeIs on here announcing you'd be well behind us before we play you at the Amex. In fact as I recall, even after you'd started really badly there was an awful lot of gobshittery where you were all telling us to see where we were after 10 games, that none of our players would get into your team, and all that shite. Funnily enough, not many of you are on here these days to tell us how right you were.

I think you must be mixing me up with someone else ? Any team with Glenn Murray in it will score goals and in the prem that = points. And player for player I still think we have better players but that doesn't mean a better team !

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
No, because they are an unpleasant bunch of tw@ts who I would love to see relegated. Sadly, they will do what they always do and stay up.
Agree with your first point, and kind of agree with your second (although I'm hoping it all catches up with them this season!)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
They've had 5 games against the top 6, compared with our 2. I'll also take nothing for granted. Instead, I'll bet on them staying up.

They actually have a better points return from their 5 games against the top six than they do from their 6 games against the rest of the league. If they are to start moving up the table they have to start beating their immediate rivals. At the moment, we could take zero points from a possible 36 against the top six, but maintain our current average against the rest of the division and still end up with 43 points. Were Palace to do the same, they would end up with 8.

They will improve and I still wouldn't bet against them surviving, but the matches against the top six is a slight red herring.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...player for player I still think we have better players but that doesn't mean a better team !

Quite so. The general view among the pundit community is that we are greater than the sum of our parts. Hughton has fashioned a true team and it's carried us a long way. Your boys haven't had that but Hodgson does seem to be getting it together. In an even division there's still plenty of time to dig your way out.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I've just had a look at their upcoming fixtures and I'm distressed to see they have two home matches before playing us. So they haven't a goal or point away from home and their next match on the road is us. You just know what's coming next.

I know, I know. I shouldn't be pessimistic but the scars run deep. First home league defeat and the playoff semi at The Amex. Ugh! Please not again.

I shall be there cheering us on but I shall feel so nervous I'll feel like puking.

Please tell me you're not in the 6th row behind the North?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here