Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you take 17th final position?

Would you take 17th final position?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
PL survival is paramount for a club of our size.
I'd love us to play attacking footy every game, with the players we have, but to do that would be suicide.
#Keepthedreamalive :thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whatever happens we need to be sorted prior to the last 4 games

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you could guarantee 17th at this stage, no higher no lower, where would the enjoyment be in going to games?

Don't get me wrong, this season is great but if you put the question the another way, ie would you take a 17th place every season for the next 10 years, would you still accept it for the sake of being in the Premier league.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you could guarantee 17th at this stage, no higher no lower, where would the enjoyment be in going to games?

Don't get me wrong, this season is great but if you put the question the another way, ie would you take a 17th place every season for the next 10 years, would you still accept it for the sake of being in the Premier league.

There has to be a certain amount of realism about where our place is in the bigger scheme of things. We aren't and probably never will be a top six side. Resources, history, etc. just doesn't sit with us. Leicester probably did something two years ago that will never be replicated again in our lifetime, and they are still a mid table side, despite that winning season. So what would we take? Anywhere between 7th and 17th I would imagine? That is being realistic and yes, I'd take 17th every season if need be. And yes, I'd still go watch us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well that's another point, it's all too hypothetical to go that far - for example, if you accept 17th now, so the uncertainty has gone, then you're also learning that there are also footballing gods that decide results in advance of the games, which is pretty ****ed up. So let's not look quite so deep.

The first year or two are the hardest to survive - I'd accept 17th first time round (and maybe the next couple) and hope the funds can lead to us building a stronger squad (and paying off debts), so that soon I'd no longer accept 17th as I'd hope we'd do better.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
No. We are better than that and will finish top 12.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well that's another point, it's all too hypothetical to go that far - for example, if you accept 17th now, so the uncertainty has gone, then you're also learning that there are also footballing gods that decide results in advance of the games, which is pretty ****ed up. So let's not look quite so deep.

The first year or two are the hardest to survive - I'd accept 17th first time round (and maybe the next couple) and hope the funds can lead to us building a stronger squad (and paying off debts), so that soon I'd no longer accept 17th as I'd hope we'd do better.

We don't have debts Trig, the money is legacy.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Win 10 more of our 27 games and guaranteed to stay up, forget the top six (10 games to play), they are bonus games. Now I think about it, that means winning 10 in 17... ok it'll still be a tough season.

No team has ever been relegated with 11 wins in the Premier league in a 38 game season so 7 more wins should be enough

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Appreciate still could be but thought this season would be a struggle from start to finish. Staying up is all that matters. What I am looking forward to is going to a game knowing we are safe. Then at last can really enjoy without the tension.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think some people are getting a bit carried away with our league position. This will be our highest point. We still have Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United to play in this half of the season and also Burnley who are flying as well. Take away those 5 games and we have 3 games against Huddersfield, Stoke and Palace to achieve 5 points and be 'on target'. (assuming we don't get anything out of the first five). 17th would be absolutely fine and not disappointing whatsoever for me.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
My targets for the season keep evolving. But I'll still take 17th, with one condition -- as long as we also finish above PaLLLLLLL_L_Lace.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd gamble. 17th only delays the inevitable of our best players being sold, but a top half finish could persuade them to stay. I see a lot of teams with serious problems in this division and there is an opportunity to fast track our progress this season.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No, if we want to secure the services of quality players going forward we have to be seen to be a competitive team, and not one that is just hanging on to a league spot for the money so we can hire mercenaries after some TV cash!

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I'd gamble. 17th only delays the inevitable of our best players being sold, but a top half finish could persuade them to stay. I see a lot of teams with serious problems in this division and there is an opportunity to fast track our progress this season.
Totally agree

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here