Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you take 17th final position?

Would you take 17th final position?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No. Its all about context. Yes, 17th means staying up, but it would also mean a very disappointing rest of the season, a lot of home defeats against teams around us, players not being as good as we thought they were, a bad January transfer window -- and I don't want nor expect any of those things.

Right now Swansea are aspiring to be 17th - we were head and shoulders better than that shower, but for us to slip to 17th will mean us playing like them

So no, I wouldn't take 17th

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Yes, but a lot less sure about taking it that I was before the start of the season. Given the quality of transfer business done in the last window, I am confident with the stability of staying in the PL will allow the club to kick on again next season.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No. Keep pushing. We will be better placed for next year if we are mid table, eg new signings etc. Let’s not give into the EPL disease of all but 7 or so clubs who only ever look down

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I suppose that 17th or 8th is much of a muchness, 6 points separated those 10 teams last season, and in that sense does it really matter if we finish 8th or 17th provided that we're in the mix. Being a distant 17th and battling to survive, no I don't want that. But Burnley and Watford came 16th and 17th last season on 40 points, and that hasn't bothered them this year. Palace and Swansea were just above, 14th and 15th with 1 point more, and they've been shocking this term. Meanwhile Bournemouth, West Brom and West Ham, 9th, 10th and 11th respectively last year, have all had a terrible start.

So maybe I'd take it. But really I have absolutely no doubt that we're good enough to stay up, so bring it on.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
No brainer for me. Take survival, consolidate and build for our best ever finish next season.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
17th would be perfect but as you get a few million for every position you attain above that then higher would be nice because every few million potentially allows you to hold on to players who might attract attention from other clubs

That is a very valid point. Last season teams received an additional £2m per place, and this season it will be more. The difference between 17th and 10th could be an additional £20m. That would buy us another 6 Pascal Gross and a few race horses for Tony B.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. Its all about context. Yes, 17th means staying up, but it would also mean a very disappointing rest of the season
I disagree. We're only 6 points ahead of 17th (the same amount Huddersfield were ahead of us after 2 games). We've also only played the top 6 twice, so we're due to lose extra points there.

Finishing 17th means we get more money in the bank and can build again. The players we keep will have had a PL season under their belts which will help.

Of course it's an exciting position right now, but survival is all that really matters.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Win 10 more of our 27 games and guaranteed to stay up, forget the top six (10 games to play), they are bonus games. Now I think about it, that means winning 10 in 17... ok it'll still be a tough season.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Are you mad? We are so close to a play-off place.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
to me 17th would be enough - another year in PL, another 100million to improve on. Of course it would be nice to be higher but reality is that survival is what it is all about as we develop and build.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
From what we've seen so far, most of this league isn't all that. And we have a squad that looks like it can give the majority a decent game, picking up points more often than not.
So we push hard to win home games, push hard to get at least a point wherever possible away, and see where it takes us. If that's 17th, mission accomplished.
I reckon we might do rather better than that, but I'll enjoy the ride whatever :albion: :banana:

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I'd say the next 8 games are crucial, this will bring us upto half way. Another 9-11 points are realistic in my opinion
Games against Palace, Watford,Huddersfield, Burnley & Stoke are all winnable. Man U, Tottenham & Liverpool will be tough. Predict we will take something from one of the big 6 at some point this season. Just realised 19 games played and still would not of played Chelsea? That's wired!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here