Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Chris Hughton the best manager we've ever had?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hughton has been successful at other clubs, where as Mullery was not. That maybe part of the debate comparing the two.

Good point. Brian Clough must be in with a shout. Shame his life ended like my Dad's.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I, personally would like to see Sir Chris build a footballing empire, in the same way that Lord Tony has built a club empire. When Sir Chris retires in 32 years time I would like for him to have a plan b in action to take on the reigns.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I, personally would like to see Sir Chris build a footballing empire, in the same way that Lord Tony has built a club empire. When Sir Chris retires in 32 years time I would like for him to have a plan b in action to take on the reigns.

Liam & Calderon

Bootroom

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5

We could show Chris Hughton our gratitude in a more tangible way than making him work 23 years past the official retirement age......

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We could show Chris Hughton our gratitude in a more tangible way than making him work 23 years past the official retirement age......

If I were TB I would expect him to work to 90, anything less would be failure.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Mullers had a good purse for the time, as did the incumbents thereafter whilst we were Div 1. Michael Robinson, Tony Grealish, Gordon Smith, etc., etc., didn't come in for peanuts.
Yes, but that wasn't my point. In fact it's the exact opposite of what I was trying to say. How do managers like Hughton and Mullery compare to those who didn't have two beans to rub together? You could make a case, as others have, that Steve Gritt was our 'best' manager.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
In a word, yes definitely.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes, but that wasn't my point. In fact it's the exact opposite of what I was trying to say. How do managers like Hughton and Mullery compare to those who didn't have two beans to rub together? You could make a case, as others have, that Steve Gritt was our 'best' manager.

This always bugs me. Manager of the Year awards almost always go to people with large budgets. Mourinho thinks he’s close to legendary after managing Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid and Manchester United. Give him Mansfield or Barnet for a season and let’s see how he does.

Which is not to denigrate the mighty CH. The way he picked the club up and went again after the playoff disappointment was a masterpiece of low-key leadership.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
To be fair, there's no way Managers like Steve Gritt, Chris Hughton and Mickey Adams can be all compared as they all had different forms of historic success.

All of them should be considered legends though.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
To be fair, there's no way Managers like Steve Gritt, Chris Hughton and Mickey Adams can be all compared as they all had different forms of historic success.

All of them should be considered legends though.

I agree they are all legends, plus Mullery! Gritt saved us from going out of the football league when we were a ridiculous amount of points adrift, Adams built the team that got us back to back promotions as champions of the respective divisions, which l believe had only been achieved by 4 other clubs at the time. Mullery got us up in the the old first division after getting up promotion from the third, then a near miss the following season (due to Southampton and Tottenham making sure they drew the last game 0-0 to see them promoted instead of us, which still grates on me after all these years!), then promotion the following year, and Hughton saved us from relegation in his first season, playoffs in his second and promotion to the premier league in his third...and currently 8th in the premier league in his fourth!! Looking at the manager merry go round with the likes of West Ham, Everton, Palace et al with the same old faces being touted, there is no other Manager in the world l would rather have at our club than Chris. I'm frankly amazed that he hasn't been touted by other chairman given the fact of his record, but l can't see him going anywhere for a very long time with what he is building at this club. He's truly heading for iconic legend status and for all you young Albion fans reading this, who may not remember the days of Gillingham and The Withdean, these times only happen once in every two or three generations, so enjoy every moment. We are mixing it with the elite and holding our own. Who would have thought that remotely possible going into the Hereford game, not so many years ago?

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
This always bugs me. Manager of the Year awards almost always go to people with large budgets. Mourinho thinks he’s close to legendary after managing Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Real Madrid and Manchester United. Give him Mansfield or Barnet for a season and let’s see how he does.

Which is not to denigrate the mighty CH. The way he picked the club up and went again after the playoff disappointment was a masterpiece of low-key leadership.

That's what clinches it for me.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Still Peter Taylor for me. And please don't ask which one.

Decades ahead of his time and put this club on the road to the first ever top flight period. Cloughie was nothing without him.

We owe a great deal of gratitude to than man.

Also, an honourable mention to Chris Cattlin and Steve Gritt. Chris is Albion through and through and a real gentleman. Such a great manager who was treated badly. And what Mr Gritt achieved that season working under those conditions was nothing short of miraculous.

Mr Hughton is on his way to legendary status but look at the bigger Albion picture.

Last edited:

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Good point. Brian Clough must be in with a shout. Shame his life ended like my Dad's.
In answer to the thread’s title, you’re correct- Brian Clough is the best manager we’ve had because he is probably the best manager ever. However, if the title was the best manager for Brighton, we’ve ever had - it’s either Hughton or Mullery.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Mullers had a good purse for the time, as did the incumbents thereafter whilst we were Div 1. Michael Robinson, Tony Grealish, Gordon Smith, etc., etc., didn't come in for peanuts.
As did Adams. As I recall he mainly just went out and bought the core of a team from players who had been successful with other clubs?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here