Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Standing at Away games

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
That is the reason I have stopped going to away games as I pay for a seat and want to sit in it to watch the game. If the clubs wanted that it is so easy to carry out but obviuously they do not. So I leave the away games for those that want to stand.

It seems to me that most fans at away matches don't take up their allocated seats anyway ( their ticket is a means to get into the ground ), so what you could do is take a seat in the front row of our allocation to have an unrestricted view.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It seems to me that most fans at away matches don't take up their allocated seats anyway ( their ticket is a means to get into the ground ), so what you could do is take a seat in the front row of our allocation to have an unrestricted view.

That is against my principal as I bought a specific ticket which entitles me to sit there whether I arrive 2 hours before kick off to sit in the front or 2 mins, which is more usual. So I chose not to attend and hopefully watch a stream, no problem.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I never knew I had a seat in north stand..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Being more mature of age, my standing now lasts for the duration of play only. First one sat at half time. But I wouldn't change it.
If I did need to sit (gentleman next to me at Swansea) perhaps swop with someone lower down. As we don't get to pick our seats someone will want to swop for sure.

theboybilly

Give me one good reason why I should have to take a front row seat where the view is poor because you want to stand up. Why should I, and a fair few like me whether through choice or injury/illness be forced to take less of a view of the proceedings? At Huddersfield last season I was about 10 rows back but had in the end to do as you suggest and move to the front row. The Albion were flying then so more were in attendance therefore I had little choice. The season before I sat three rows from the back.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
But people in the front row also stand....

Give me one good reason why I should have to take a front row seat where the view is poor because you want to stand up. Why should I, and a fair few like me whether through choice or injury/illness be forced to take less of a view of the proceedings? At Huddersfield last season I was about 10 rows back but had in the end to do as you suggest and move to the front row. The Albion were flying then so more were in attendance therefore I had little choice. The season before I sat three rows from the back.

I don't necessarily stand at away games ( I don't get to many games #bad fan ), it is something that I have noticed on my travels. It was more of a ( I thought ) helpful suggestion to BG as there is no way you, me or the away stewards are going to get thousands of away fans to sit down. So my logical reasoning was to sit somewhere that should give an unristricted view.

theboybilly

I don't necessarily stand at away games ( I don't get to many games #bad fan ), it is something that I have noticed on my travels. It was more of a ( I thought ) helpful suggestion to BG as there is no way you, me or the away stewards are going to get thousands of away fans to sit down. So my logical reasoning was to sit somewhere that should give an unristricted view.

Mate I could write a book on this subject. The worst recently has been Wolves last season (packed away allocation with me directed to sit in my allotted seat) At half- time I was ready to leave such was the discomfort - at a lot of grounds I can 'sit' on the top of the seat back to get by well enough but this wasnt an option at Molineux as the seats must've been bought from Aldi) so I asked a mate if he had any spare seats near him in the front row. There was indeed and right next to him too. So I moved down only to find that Wolves decided that 3" of legroom was sufficient. If you know Molineux you will be aware that there must be 30 feet between the perimeter wall and the pitch - why did they build that wall so close to that row of seats?
Every ground throws up different problems for disabled or less mobile fans. I am not registered disabled (knee arthritis is my issue) so I have to play it by ear on arrival. Some stewards are very helpful (those at Birmingham, Newcastle, QPR and Ipswich spring to mind) but others are jobsworths who go out of their where to make life difficult. For what it's worth I'm very much pro-Safe Standing as long as seats are made available (even at a premium) where I can sit with an unobstructed view.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I took my lad to his first premiership away game yesterday. Stood on his seat for most the game so he could see the action. Didn't think anything of it till he asked me why everyone stands at away games. I didn't really have an answer other than "we always do".

Anyone help me out with a better answer?!?

Hard to believe this is a genuine question but with a 1500 average turning into 3000 I guess it will be asked more frequently.

Yes there are a few cases where I sympathise for those less able, but that is a result of there not being a choice. When I go to watch the football I want to stand, and while I may be in a minority for home games, I am most definitely in a majority for away games. You're not going to get 2-3k partisan fans to sit down when they'd rather stand just because there are a couple hundred not able, and nor should they. Blame the modern facilities excluding us from a choice and the copious errors made from the Taylor report which paved the way to the end of terracing.

People stand because they want to, not to annoy the less able person behind or as some kind of campaign against the rules. Supporting the team for me requires energy and it's better to expend that energy from a standing position. When I sit down at the Amex I find myself jumping up every couple of minutes without even meaning to do so. It's hard to explain it beyond that if you don't feel the same way.

This question is as confusing to me as if I asked you "Why do you stand up when we score?".

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I much prefer to stand. I've been using a standing desk at work for years, and spend as little time sitting down as I can.

A huge amount of research now exists showing that sitting down all the time is really un-healthy, is unnatural for humans and is a major cause of life-shortening illnesses.
http://www.juststand.org/the-facts/

So when I go to away games I really appreciate it that the norm is standing, because it's what I'd do naturally if left to my own devices.

However, I think that people should have the choice, including at away games, and given that some really don't like it for whatever reason or are unable to stand, it seems harsh that they are effectively excluded from away matches - it'd be better to have a sitting section in all away ends for this group. I also think that the idea that universal standing somehow improves the atmosphere is hugely exaggerated - it certainly doesn't improve it for those who can't stand, or can only stand in considerable discomfort.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Hard to believe this is a genuine question but with a 1500 average turning into 3000 I guess it will be asked more frequently.

Yes there are a few cases where I sympathise for those less able, but that is a result of there not being a choice. When I go to watch the football I want to stand, and while I may be in a minority for home games, I am most definitely in a majority for away games. You're not going to get 2-3k partisan fans to sit down when they'd rather stand just because there are a couple hundred not able, and nor should they. Blame the modern facilities excluding us from a choice and the copious errors made from the Taylor report which paved the way to the end of terracing.

People stand because they want to, not to annoy the less able person behind or as some kind of campaign against the rules. Supporting the team for me requires energy and it's better to expend that energy from a standing position. When I sit down at the Amex I find myself jumping up every couple of minutes without even meaning to do so. It's hard to explain it beyond that if you don't feel the same way.

This question is as confusing to me as if I asked you "Why do you stand up when we score?".

Hard to believe or hard for you to understand?

Not sure I get the 1500/3000 comment.

FWIW I prefer to Stand as well. That wasn't the question through was it. Why do the majority of home fans sit and the vast majority away fans stand. Something I was struggling with a reasonable answer to, and by the looks of it a couple others agree with me!

You're assuming I stand up when we score. I wouldn't assume anything mate. You know what that does.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

FWIW I prefer to Stand as well. That wasn't the question through was it. Why do the majority of home fans sit and the vast majority away fans stand. Something I was struggling with a reasonable answer to, and by the looks of it a couple others agree with me!

You're assuming I stand up when we score. I wouldn't assume anything mate. You know what that does.

I think it's quite simple, it's because you can.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

The 1500 has been our away average for the last couple of seasons, of which the majority comprise of people in the NS, who stand at home games as well.

There are pockets around the ground that would undoubtedly prefer to stand, but not enough of us for the club/stewarding to turn a blind eye as they do with the masses in the North. Incidentally, the one time that my section in WL has stood for nearly the whole game was the Shef Wed playoff match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here