Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Standing at Away games

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
I took my lad to his first premiership away game yesterday. Stood on his seat for most the game so he could see the action. Didn't think anything of it till he asked me why everyone stands at away games. I didn't really have an answer other than "we always do".

Anyone help me out with a better answer?!?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Supporters breaking the rules because they are hard, does seem a waste of money on those seats

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I took my lad to his first premiership away game yesterday. Stood on his seat for most the game so he could see the action. Didn't think anything of it till he asked me why everyone stands at away games. I didn't really have an answer other than "we always do".

Because it's football, not ****ing tennis.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
6E438F9A-5439-4F93-85E7-AB29328F1C00.jpeg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Disgraceful! Some Arsenal fan will have to sit on that seat for a whole ninety minutes with your sons dirty footprints on it.:)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I grew up watching football on the terraces. Watching sat down still feels foreign to me all these years later.

Very much this, though I do think more thought should be given to those who can’t stand for an entire game. They are getting discouraged from going to away games because they can’t see.

I have said for ages that any safe standing areas should be prioritised in away sections in order to make standing in front of short, young or infirm people less of an option. That’s why the club got the wrong answer ( though the one I think they wanted) when they surveyed us. They just asked the wrong questions, loaded to the outcome they wanted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is the reason I have stopped going to away games as I pay for a seat and want to sit in it to watch the game. If the clubs wanted that it is so easy to carry out but obviuously they do not. So I leave the away games for those that want to stand.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

I took my son to his only away game at Bristol City a couple of years ago. He asked the same question, and why everyone sat down at half time.
I was similarly stumped for a sensible answer.
Its mad isn't it

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
It’s certainly great for creating atmosphere but for an old fart like me, overweight and with dodgy back and knees it makes for a tough afternoon.

Not complaining though, having a wonderful time:albion2:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Cos they cannot cancel your Swansea season ticket cos you ain't got one!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I have the raving shits this morning, so I do not wish to sit down???
However, the OP might like to know they also stand up in the premier league, not just the scottish stuff. Pedantry abounds when my guts play up

el punal

Standing creates a great atmosphere and like many have said the right was taken away from us :)

Sitting is so so so so boring.....

You're absolutely right. I made the unfortunate decision to sit down in my seat at halftime at Fulham two years ago. I fell asleep due, in the main, to the large intake of alcohol pre-match. A photo was taken of my somnambulant self and subsequently passed around to all and sundry. I hasten to add that I came to and watched the second half standing. We won 2-1. Lovely day!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Very difficult to jump up when we score,from the seated position.Judging from some of the miserable faces,a lot of our supporters suffer from 'Farmer Giles',as well!:hilton::lolol:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Not a hard question.

Research in this area tells us that people feel more energised when standing than they do when sat down. This is just as true at work as it is at a football match. With more energy, we are more likely to sing and back our players more audibly.

Another physiological aspect is that you can breathe more easily standing up than you do when sitting and singing is easier because of that.

Q.E.D. We can support the team better by standing.

I am now going to watch Spurs beat Palace on BT Sport in my living room and I shall stand for the whole game, so that I can back Spurs more loudly (and to the annoyance of my daughter).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Erm, because I prefer standing to sitting? It's like asking why do more people listen to rock music rather than Gregorian Chant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here