Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Standing at Away games

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If we now get 3000 who are happy to stand why was the response to safe standing question according to Barber far lower then he expected

Asking the wrong questions by the wrong means, a bit like the one you just asked.

Most of those that want to stand, stand already. Those like myself, who would move to a safe standing area, are few in number scattered around the ground. I would pay less the half of what I currently pay for a ST to go in there, so I doubt the club are enthralled by the prospect of me doing so even with their good intentions of improving atmosphere.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I took my lad to his first premiership away game yesterday. Stood on his seat for most the game so he could see the action. Didn't think anything of it till he asked me why everyone stands at away games. I didn't really have an answer other than "we always do".

Anyone help me out with a better answer?!?

Because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see because of those standing in front of you.

That is the reason I have stopped going to away games as I pay for a seat and want to sit in it to watch the game. If the clubs wanted that it is so easy to carry out but obviuously they do not. So I leave the away games for those that want to stand.

So a better way of dealing with this is to try to find a way for those who wish to sit to be able to get the front row(s).

If it's an away game, the likelihood is that its a free for all on seats anyway so i'd expect those with tickets at the front would be elsewhere in the stand already or would be more than willing to move to accommodate those who find it hard to stand for a match.

It could be something that clubs will need to look at when they put tickets on sale to away fans, - offer an easier way of choosing where you sit rather than the more random seat allocation we get now (or having a section (even if just a few rows in a block) where those who want / need to sit can select when ordering)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought I'd just throw out there that EVERYONE in the away end at Swansea was standing. Including the front row.

I've not been right at the front for ages, so don't know if this was a one-off, but had also previously assumed that the front few rows would be seated.

You can see this from the photo-gallery that The Grub shared:

http://www.louisesullivanphotography.co.uk/Swansea-v-Brighton-Nov-2017/i-dr39d3x/A

Last edited:

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
It could be something that clubs will need to look at when they put tickets on sale to away fans, - offer an easier way of choosing where you sit rather than the more random seat allocation we get now (or having a section (even if just a few rows in a block) where those who want / need to sit can select when ordering)

I was thinking this a few months ago. Apparently Palace liase with their Ultras and have some sort of agreement whereby they are grouped together, regardless of where they may sit in loyalty points brackets.

I can't see why this shouldn't be possible with a singing group of BHA fans in the top section, and also a separate group that would like to sit at the front...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It seems to me that most fans at away matches don't take up their allocated seats anyway ( their ticket is a means to get into the ground ), so what you could do is take a seat in the front row of our allocation to have an unrestricted view.

I have seen this happen at many away games. The seniors and less abled seat themselves at the front with us rowdy lot standing further back. Works well; no problem.

Never mind BG. There will be another molehill along very shortly................

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I thought I'd just throw out there that EVERYONE in the away end at Swansea was standing. Including the front row.

I've not been right at the front for ages, so don't know if this was a one-off, but had also previously assumed that the front few rows would be seated.

You can see this from the photo-gallery that The Grub shared:

http://www.louisesullivanphotography.co.uk/Swansea-v-Brighton-Nov-2017/i-dr39d3x/A

Not true, I was in the upper section and they were all sitting in the front row of the area i was in

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well done Huddersfield, they have a block for away fans where it is seated only and standing will not be tolerated, those who want to sit can therefore choose their tickets in that area.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Well done Huddersfield, they have a block for away fans where it is seated only and standing will not be tolerated, those who want to sit can therefore choose their tickets in that area.

Just noticed that - makes it very clear on purchasing that standing in Block 6, "will not be tolerated". I have no idea what proportion of the away tickets are in block 6, but it does seem like a good idea, given that it's also clear from this thread that there are a number of potential away fans who are discouraged by the prospect of having to stand throughout the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here