Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mi.ke Dean’s gestures to Albion fans yesterday

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Absolutely never. That decision at Boro was not just a bad decision, it was an inexplicable one for all the reasons we know. And yesterday seeing him run away with arms aloft and high five his lino before the game was bad enough but to wave to the crowd DURING a game, whilst mock yawning at the abuse and then grabbing his crotch is not only deeply unprofessional but shows he isn't actually concentrating on the match. He didn't have a bad game yesterday, he isn't biased and he's not a cheat (although the challenge on Murray was 100 times worse than the Stephens one at Boro was but because it wasn't a glory game where the attention could be on him he didn't give a red) but I can't ever bring myself to forgive him. Should he want to disallow a perfectly good goal in the last minute for Palace, however, that condemns them to relegation later in the season then I'm willing to reconsider!!

lol Go on admit it, you love him really! :wink:

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
I'd love to know how this isn't a red card.

Muzza-foul2.gif

Muzza-foul3.gif

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Always amuses me how we fans think its OK to abuse a player or ref and then we are outraged when they react. 3000 fans chanting at Dean that he is a wanker and he responds with a bit of humour - so what? The consensus is that he refereed the game fairly, so perhaps he is professional enough to respond to a bit of 'banter' (read 'abuse', imagine the outrage on this board if 3000 away fans were chanting homophobic 'banter' at the Amex) and do his job.

Good for him

Totally agree that if you give someone some verbal then you have to take it on the chin if they return it. What is not acceptable though is if Dean did indeed grab his crotch in a gesture towards the Albion fans. That should be looked into.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Of course he is impartial, I would hope that every Premier League and Football League refereee is. There may be the odd bad apple, but that is exceedingly rare. Being a referee at any level is about the most difficult job of all, they will never please all the fans with the decisions that they need tio make.

Let's get a little perspective here, the one reason that so many Albion fans despise The Complete And Utter Shyster, is down to one controversial decision he made in a game at Middlebrough the season before last that possiblt coast us the chance of promotion.. Have you never made a poor decision? It's gone, it's past, we are in the Premier League now, so let's all move on.
It wasn't just a poor decision he made up his own rules.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I must do that exact same thing at least 10 times a day , mainly because i'm old and just checking it's still there , to the people who were actually there , was this a response to Brighton fans directly or just in the run of play ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I must do that exact same thing at least 10 times a day , mainly because i'm old and just checking it's still there , to the people who were actually there , was this a response to Brighton fans directly or just in the run of play ?

Can't say I noticed but what I did see he made a thing off shaking Murray's hand when he was subbed, Murray had gone past him momentarily as Dean held out his hand.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Muzza-foul2.gif

Muzza-foul3.gif

If Murrays left leg, or even his right, was on the ground then that could have been a leg breaker or even a career ending injury at his age. 2 footed challanges that dont get the ball, from behind?. Seen this given red all day long. No matter wheater you like the crotch incident etc.. or not, he got this badly wrong.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

Muzza-foul2.gif

Muzza-foul3.gif
this looked a bad tackle and somoene who has had a broken leg from this type of tackle he was lucky not to have a bad injury and it was a lot worse than ones that we had players sent off for.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Difficult to see in the second picture, but in slow motion he didn't seem to lead with his studs, so it would just be a booking for me.

Both feet off the ground, not in control, through the back of Murray, didn't get near the ball. Simply endangering another player. Clear sending off.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
What is not acceptable though is if Dean did indeed grab his crotch in a gesture towards the Albion fans. That should be looked into.

I'm not sure anyone would want to look into Dean's crotch.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
What are you on about? Where did I say he wasn't impartial? He is well known as a ref frequently involved in highly controversial decisions and deals with them by gurning, dancing and God knows what else. Bournemouth v City the latest high profile example.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...eem-sterling-mike-dean-red-card-a3620876.html

When he gets it right, he is a good ref. But when he gets it wrong, he gets it spectacularly wrong.

This was ridiculous. Sterling didn't take off his shirt which gets an automatic yellow. He got mobbed by fans and players. WTF is he supposedto do with a dozen people on him? He's not exactly The Rock.....

As you say, when he gets it wrong, it is spectacularly wrong.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Can't say I noticed but what I did see he made a thing off shaking Murray's hand when he was subbed, Murray had gone past him momentarily as Dean held out his hand.

Thanks , no matter what we may think of him and his previous for showmanship , that direct action would probably see him kicked off the referees list for good , i can't believe he would be that daft .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Difficult to see in the second picture, but in slow motion he didn't seem to lead with his studs, so it would just be a booking for me.

THAT was a red card offence all day long. Saw it live and was astonished Fernandez didn't walk. Its mandatory. He's off the ground, he's launched himself from behind, gone straight through Murray and got nothing on the ball (not that it would matter if he did, mind). Its simply unacceptable. As others have mentioned, its only blind luck that Murray's leg wasn't planted, because if it was, an impact like that could've finished him. I'm amazed you think thats only worthy of a yellow.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Surely a referee displaying that sort of behaviour should be looked into by the Premier League/FA? I hope the club reports him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ive never understood why fans think abusing a referee before a game is a good idea anyway.

And now we are getting emotional that he played up to it. Emotional bunch aren’t we ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here