Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Lewes Bonfire is misogynistic

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
As with anything twittery, read from bottom to top.

2017-11-05 14_51_33-Start.png
2017-11-05 14_51_17-Start.png

There are many parts of bonfire you could get offended by if you were so inclined, but it being misogynistic due to Frau May being a tableaux is really stretching it.

Just posting as I thought you would all appreciated the laugh.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Last time i went there were effegies of George Bush and Tony Blair, i suppose this means that back then everyone was a man hating feminist.

Too be honest people like this are best ignored they are. If they had the sense they would be embarrassed by their behaviour...... sadly they don't.

It is interesting that Luck Dragon is only concerned with the women and children affected by Guy fawkes....... don't worry about the men.

Knob.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As with anything twittery, read from bottom to top.

View attachment 90827
View attachment 90826

There are many parts of bonfire you could get offended by if you were so inclined, but it being misogynistic due to Frau May being a tableaux is really stretching it.

Just posting as I thought you would all appreciated the laugh.

What bellend Luckdragon is.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems this tweeter has no idea about the Lewes Bonfire parade and effigies. There are lots of weird accounts on twitter trying to stir things up all the time, Russian agencies during US election & US backed accounts during Brexit vote etc etc, this looks like one of them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The amount of general ignorance about Lewes is unbelievable, it's not really about the 1605 gunpowder plot, more the Lewes martyrs, hence the 'No Popery' etc.

D

Deleted member 22389

I can see Lewes Bonfire eventually being cancelled, either through ridiculous health & safety or because it is no longer politically correct. Are the young people going to carry this on, or are they slowly being turned in to massive snowflakes and Lewes Bonfire eventually becomes uncool because of the crap that is spread on twatter and other news links. I used to love going to Lewes Bonfire as a child.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i like the opening "i couldnt give a shit on your politics or view on the PM" before rant. but thats why there was and effigy of her, because the bonfire dislike her politics.

i also enjoy the irony of "how many women and childred were traumatised by Guy Fawkes", at once ignoring that the answer would be none due to failure of the plot and unintentionally holding women to be the fair sex to be traumatised.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The amount of general ignorance about Lewes is unbelievable, it's not really about the 1605 gunpowder plot, more the Lewes martyrs, hence the 'No Popery' etc.

I take it that you, as one of the well informed about Lewes Bonfire, are aware that it's just 1 of the 6 Lewes societies (Cliffe) that have and use that banner on the 5th (only 1 of 7 Lewes Societies if you include Nevill who hold their event 2 weeks earlier in Lewes)

Cliffe Bonfire Society do not take part in the Grand United because they were banned from it as they wanted to carry the no Popery banner in this procession, something the other Societies were completely opposed to.

The event is to commemorate the failure of the plot for all societies

(but i guess you are fishing)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I can see Lewes Bonfire eventually being cancelled, either through ridiculous health & safety or because it is no longer politically correct. Are the young people going to carry this on, or are they slowly being turned in to massive snowflakes and Lewes Bonfire eventually becomes uncool because of the crap that is spread on twatter and other news links. I used to love going to Lewes Bonfire as a child.

It has never been 'politically correct', so your meaningless question-badly-disguised-as-a-rant has fallen flat on its arse.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

Yes I imagine YOU can, because you are the mirror image of the "snowflake" strawmen you blame. If you were involved at all you'd realise the biggest problem is the way the police are gradually tightening their restrictions around the event.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Cracking day/night marched just in front of May

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Genuine question.
What do the Old Bill give as the reasons for tightening their restrictions?
Violence and arrests? i.e antisocial behaviour.
Cost of policing?
"Snowflakery" everywhere?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What a load of total buffoonery this is. Societies for a bloody bonfire? Guy Fawkes wasn't even the main villain, so why commemorate him? He was the Ronny Biggs of the operation, a nobody. All taken far too seriously, load of old knackers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Genuine question.
What do the Old Bill give as the reasons for tightening their restrictions?
Violence and arrests? i.e antisocial behaviour.
Cost of policing?
"Snowflakery" everywhere?

i dont think its just down to the police but the council and even the Societies. maybe someone involved can correct, i recall some years ago the insurance cost were getting vey high. on a saturday they know they'll get a lot more vistors and they can shut the station, so do (cant really on normal work days)

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Don't fret, i expect she'll protesteth about anything.
On Christmas Eve she plans to complain that celebrating Santa being pulled through the sky by some reindeer is a vile thing and that it demonstrates mans inhumane treatment of furry creatures everywhere.
Easter will be demonstrative how cruel man is to little bunnies as confectionery manufacturers clearly produce these to boost their profits at the expense of it informing children that it's perfectly fine to be carnivores

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What a load of total buffoonery this is. Societies for a bloody bonfire? Guy Fawkes wasn't even the main villain, so why commemorate him? He was the Ronny Biggs of the operation, a nobody. All taken far too seriously, load of old knackers.

It's not about Guy Fawkes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here