Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How long before Hughton is poached?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Spurs- yes. And fair enough. But that isn't going to happen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't really see any club outside the top 6 that would appeal to him at the moment, and the top 6 won't want him because a). he's never won a major trophy, b). he's British, c). he's British, d). he's British, e). ...............

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think just as importantly, he has a chairman that he gets on very well with. When we lost out to Sheff Weds in the play-off semis a few seasons back, the board had a meeting practically the following day in which they offered Hughton a brand new contract and asked him to tell them what he needed to push us over the line the following season. When Calderwood left for Villa, we brought in Trollope straight away and that was 100% a Hughton decision too. The club gives the manager all the tools he needs to do his job and trust him implicitly. That's what you call backing a manager and it's a model that a lot of other clubs have now cited as the blueprint for how things should be done.

As others have said, Chris H has been badly let down in the past by chairmen who either eye more media-savvy bigger-name managers or are less patient. We have Tony Bloom and Paul Barber. He's onto such a good thing here that it would need to be something special to tempt him from us. Fortunately (for us), it would appear that British managers like Chris have a glass ceiling when it comes to the very top jobs in English football. I reckon he's here to stay.

I like this post other than the fist pumps weren't addressed. However, give me your two minutes here... I totally agree with you about how we approached last year, but what you have omitted is that we got rid of a technical director that didn't know his arse from his elbow.and we gave full control to Sir Chris. Even Gus didn't have this. We are an evolving club and we are learning by our mistakes, Giving Sir Chris full control is a bit of a throwback and it works for us.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I like this post other than the fist pumps weren't addressed. However, give me your two minutes here... I totally agree with you about how we approached last year, but what you have omitted is that we got rid of a technical director that didn't know his arse from his elbow.and we gave full control to Sir Chris. Even Gus didn't have this. We are an evolving club and we are learning by our mistakes, Giving Sir Chris full control is a bit of a throwback and it works for us.

I like the term "Sir Chris."

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
As mentioned earlier the only likely club would be Spurs who don’t need a manager and probably would want a big name anyway. The other two would be England (Southgate will be given until Euro 20 and Ireland (which is until Martin O’Neill gets bored.

One other could be a rich championship club who offer a ridiculous amount of money, but I think Hughton has too much integrity for that.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
How many times has Chris left a club, seems he was dismissed on most occasions.
I get the feeling that he is making a point and is in for the long haul.
Doesn't seem to be totally motivated by money which is rare these days.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
How long before another club poaches him?

You could also ask "how long before Bloom fries him?"

Sorry.. are we talking about Chris Hughton here or Egg Wallace?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Meh. Everton or West Ham? No chance. Spurs? Not for a long time and well before Ponchotin ... Positroni ... Pottotroll ... their current manager leaves a bigger threat will appear in, ooh I guess August when Southgate leaves England.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t know Sir Chris but I suspect if he was to speak openly, after the way he’s been treated elsewhere in the past compared to his relationship with TB now, the fans and what he’s doing here and the control he has to do things his way, he’d honestly say there is barely another job in football he would want.

I can see him staying here until he retires. Hope he does.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The only teams he would likely want to go to are unlikely to want him. Spurs, for example, would not go for such a defensive minded manager when there are high profile foreign names to go for. Everton, West Ham, etc are unlikely to make him give up his 3 year project team as he would have to start from scratch with much more scrutiny. He is a brilliant manager with unfancied teams in the PL but is unproven at this level with a team with more ambitions and modern football usually means the big teams won't go down this route.

Martin O'Neill retiring would be my concern but I couldn't begrudge him managing the international team he played for.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The only teams he would likely want to go to are unlikely to want him. Spurs, for example, would not go for such a defensive minded manager when there are high profile foreign names to go for. Everton, West Ham, etc are unlikely to make him give up his 3 year project team as he would have to start from scratch with much more scrutiny. He is a brilliant manager with unfancied teams in the PL but is unproven at this level with a team with more ambitions and modern football usually means the big teams won't go down this route.

Martin O'Neill retiring would be my concern but I couldn't begrudge him managing the international team he played for.

There's not really a huge crop of players to pick from and no real expectation to achieve at international level, maybe TB would allow him to fill both roles rather than lose him

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
He probably wakes up each day and thinks- touchline behaviour apart- he’s doing okay.

But it is only Brighton!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When he leaves it will be to manage at international level not another PL club IMHO. Let's hope Southgate can do something decent in Russia !

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As mentioned earlier the only likely club would be Spurs who don’t need a manager..

They will if Pochettino goes to Real Madrid, which is a likely scenario if he keeps doing what he's doing there and CH keeps doing what he is here. Unfortunately the football food chain never rests - Kane in a Madrid shirt, Dunk and Duffy in Spurs shirts etc. #GlassHalfEmpty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here