Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How long before Hughton is poached?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Historically the Premier has been broken down into 3 sections of 6 Ist 6 from whom the champions and Europe will come, the bottom 6 who are the major relegation fodder and the middle 6 who win some and lose some and could win a cup. We started in the bottom 6 and realistically dont have the wealth to be in the top 6 so the next group would be an achievement. Perhaps in time we could move on up to the top 6 and to challenge but probably not during my lifetime.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Historically the Premier has been broken down into 3 sections of 6 Ist 6 from whom the champions and Europe will come, the bottom 6 who are the major relegation fodder and the middle 6 who win some and lose some and could win a cup. We started in the bottom 6 and realistically dont have the wealth to be in the top 6 so the next group would be an achievement. Perhaps in time we could move on up to the top 6 and to challenge but probably not during my lifetime.

What about the other two?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Where are the other two teams?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Martin O'Neill retiring would be my concern but I couldn't begrudge him managing the international team he played for.

This - I really hope Ireland beat Denmark as O'Neill will be cemented for at least three more years then. Even if they fail to qualify, he is unlikely to be sacked for Euro 2020 poor performance given that 24 teams qualify.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
TB was asked at the beginning of the season whether CH was fireproof and his answer was as careful as you’d expect - that nobody can see into the future. And I imagine Chris would say the same. He knows how quickly things can turn around in football and it will only take three defeats in a row for some fans (although nobody on here, obviously) to start moaning and calling for a change.

And then, when CH dropkicks the fourth official on one of his mad touchline rants, TB will have the excuse he needs ....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think, last season, was more cut and dried. Sunderland and Hull were dreadful before a ball was kicked in anger. Boro too, not in the same class as the aforementioned, but were too, dreadful. So, this season there is only one whipping boy in South London. Although, to be fair Swansea look absolute pants too, but they beat Palace. So I think we can possibly assume Palace and Swansea will go down. Third down isn't so cut and dried, so we may still end up scrapping it out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd imagine Paul Barber will be poached at some point...

.. And Hughton will take over :)

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
While he keeps his reputation as a defensive manager I think we are safe. None of the big clubs will want him because of that (I hope) and why on earth would he leave us for anything else (blue and white tinted spectacles?).

Lets just hope he stays with us and sees the job through.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think just as importantly, he has a chairman that he gets on very well with. When we lost out to Sheff Weds in the play-off semis a few seasons back, the board had a meeting practically the following day in which they offered Hughton a brand new contract and asked him to tell them what he needed to push us over the line the following season. When Calderwood left for Villa, we brought in Trollope straight away and that was 100% a Hughton decision too. The club gives the manager all the tools he needs to do his job and trust him implicitly. That's what you call backing a manager and it's a model that a lot of other clubs have now cited as the blueprint for how things should be done.

As others have said, Chris H has been badly let down in the past by chairmen who either eye more media-savvy bigger-name managers or are less patient. We have Tony Bloom and Paul Barber. He's onto such a good thing here that it would need to be something special to tempt him from us. Fortunately (for us), it would appear that British managers like Chris have a glass ceiling when it comes to the very top jobs in English football. I reckon he's here to stay.

The only British manager above him at present is Dyche who should really already have been snapped up by Leicester or Everton so i think you are right here i think. (well i hope so anyway).

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not worried in the slightest. No one will poach him. The only slight concern for me is the Ireland job.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not worried in the slightest. No one will poach him. The only slight concern for me is the Ireland job.

Didn't he say he prefers club management ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here