Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we had the "do we still need a striker in January" thread yet?

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Murray is good enough, but old.

Hemed had an OK start before his suspension, but the jury is still out if he is good enough at this level.

So yes, we need another striker.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Really. I think his back to goal is one of his best attributes. Always wins a knock on as well.. I supose it's all about opinions..

I was watching him very closely on Saturday after I saw Leroy Rosenior commenting that he's never made it in the PL because his hold up play just isn't good enough. I agree he wins his fair share of flick ons but there were several occasions on Saturday where the ball was played into him and it just bounced off him several feet away and we lost possession. He is nowhere near mobile enough to keep possession with that level of ball control. Having said all that, he certainly knows where the goal is and has a knack of being in the right place in and around the 6 yard box.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I was watching him very closely on Saturday after I saw Leroy Rosenior commenting that he's never made it in the PL because his hold up play just isn't good enough. I agree he wins his fair share of flick ons but there were several occasions on Saturday where the ball was played into him and it just bounced off him several feet away and we lost possession. He is nowhere near mobile enough to keep possession with that level of ball control. Having said all that, he certainly knows where the goal is and has a knack of being in the right place in and around the 6 yard box.

Yep i agree with has a knack of being in the right place in and around the 6 yard box. Like i said previously it's all about opinions. :thumbsup:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes, yes we do. It’s oh so ****ing obvious. Look back a few games and see how desperate things got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Harder days are still in front of us. Injuries too. We need a striker who can consistently score at this level and hopefully offer us something for seasons to come.
4 goals in three games is a start ... but yes Rashford would be great

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes of course we need another striker.

Things have gone well, but we've had a relatively reasonable run of fixtures. Come the end of December I fear we'll be a lot lower down the table.

Fergie always used to say that buying players when your up against it and struggling is the wrong way of doing things.
Buy when you're doing well, strengthen from a position of strength.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Fergie always used to say that buying players when your up against it and struggling is the wrong way of doing things.
Buy when you're doing well, strengthen from a position of strength.

Cannot stand that to$$er but you cannot fault him for his abilities as a manager. Not heard this quote before but it makes very good sense. So yes we need one, min. And as someone said earlier, I wouldnt be surprised if we have a 'Gross' or a 'Propper' or a 'Duffy' type siging in the wings that will just fit right in and blend seemlessly into the team and help up maintain our PL status for this season. (Christmas wishlist....)

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I invite you to consider that with a more mobile and skilful striker there will of a sudden be triangles getting happened that release both that striker and the likes of Izquierdo into delicious breakaway space in a way that is not possible at the moment. Making us a yet more threatening team. That's the masterplan, imo like.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 goals in three games is a start ... but yes Rashford would be great

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

So you assume that scoring run will continue regardless of his age, fitness and previous track record? Righty oh...

If Murray gets injured, we would be left with Tomer and a half fit Baldock, we've made a great start but plenty of time to F@@k up yet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who on earth would say 'no' ? :shrug:

We absolutely do need to try to secure a striker in January, however it is not as desperate as people might have thought at the end of August. With Hemed and Murray both showing they can score, it will hopefully be someone who is better or can improve the team, although actually feeling a lot more confident now that if needs be it can be someone to support and cover these two.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
To buy someone akin to Hemed would cost £10 million I reckon. If we are talking about somebody more mobile and strong who can likely score goals in this division you can x 3 = £30 million and they will be no world-beater. We may get lucky but I would expect a loan signing with perhaps some serious investment at the end of the year when (if) we are still in the Premier League.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Murray isn't getting younger so I would be getting someone to challenge him and eventually replace him. I know we have Hemed for that but we can't just rely on him, especially if Murray gets injured long term. As for Baldock, we need to get him match fit and keep him fit, but again, I would ultimately looking to get someone better than Baldock.
I have no problems with our strikers, but we do lack depth and if we want to remain in the Premier League, we need to be constantly looking to improve what we have got, not just up top, but in all areas.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
At the moment we are a relatively unknown quantity in how we set up and how we play, even with scouting it's not until you actually play a team do you see how they work.
If we don't get another more mobile No 9 then the return game against teams we've already played will know exactly what to expect and can stop us from playing.

We need a different option so that we have more of a chance at staying up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We have really been riding our luck a bit and do need a proper striker, luck can run out.

I'd say our league position is far less down to luck than to a rock solid defence. But yes, of course, we do need an additional proper striker. The Goals For column is looking decidedly skinny.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here