Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Please... someone tell me we aren't 8th

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Unbelievable. Is this the highest we've ever been in our history?

No, there was a whole thread on this a while back.

Although maybe it doesn't really count as it was early in the season, we went 5th by beating Wolves 1-0 at Molineaux on Tues, 22 Sep,1981. That was our highest ever league placing, although we only remained 5th for 24 hours as Man City and Nottingham Forest won games in hand the following evening to push us down to 7th.

This was the top of the table when we were 5th:

1981 table1.png

The Albion programme notes which said that the 2-0 midweek victory over Southampton at the Dell on Dec 8 had moved us up to our highest-ever league placing were thefefore incorrect, as we only went 6th after that win - although, as it was getting towards half-way through the season, it was more of a real achievement. This was the top of the table when we were 6th:

1981 table2.png

I seem to remember we were hovvering around 7th or 8th (with a potential UEFA Cup spot not an unlikely prospect) until the final months of the season, when a really bad run (only two wins in our last 14 games) meant we finished a disappointing 13th. Still our highest ever final league position, though. I reckon we could beat it this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ff=

Although maybe it doesn't really count as it was early in the season, we went 5th by beating Wolves on Tues, 22 Sep,1981. That was our highest ever league placing, although we only remained 5th for 24 hours as Man City and Nottingham Forest won games in hand the following evening to push us down to 7th.

View attachment 90836

The Albion programme notes which said that the midweek victory over Southampton at the Dell on Dec 8 had moved us up to our highest-ever league placing were thefefore incorrect, as we only went 6th after that win - although, as it was getting towards half-way through the season, it was more of a real achievement. This was the top of the table when we were 6th:

View attachment 90837

I seem to remember we were hovvering around 7th or 8th (with a potential UEFA Cup spot not an unlikely prospect) until the final months of the season, when a really bad run (only two wins in our last 14 games) meant we finished a disappointing 13th. Still our highest ever final league position, though. I reckon we could beat it this season.

You will never again see a top seven featuring all those clubs

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ff=

You will never again see a top seven featuring all those clubs

Agreed. Much more of a level playing field in those days...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yawn. How many times have you ever phoned up 606 simply to praise the opposition then?

Bizarrely enough I have only bothered once, and that was after we beat Forest having been hammered for 89 mins and we scored with our only shot.
Sure it was slightly backhanded, but a compliment none the less.

Anyway I wasn't talking about the fans, but the presenters not asking the obvious question 'what if Brighton we're just better than you'.

If nothing else the reaction should have been entertaining.

Anyway

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Although maybe it doesn't really count as it was early in the season, we went 5th by beating Wolves 1-0 at Molineaux on Tues, 22 Sep,1981. That was our highest ever league placing, although we only remained 5th for 24 hours as Man City and Nottingham Forest won games in hand the following evening to push us down to 7th.

View attachment 90836

The Albion programme notes which said that the 2-0 midweek victory over Southampton at the Dell on Dec 8 had moved us up to our highest-ever league placing were thefefore incorrect, as we only went 6th after that win - although, as it was getting towards half-way through the season, it was more of a real achievement. This was the top of the table when we were 6th:

View attachment 90837

Looking at that second table - there were five teams behind us with games in hand that could overtake us. Today, there's just the one. So, arguably - we're higher placed now than then in 'real' terms!

Jul 7, 2003
Just to confirm, we are still eighth and will be for at least the next 12 days.

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
Can you believe after 11 games we are closer to the top than the bottom?

What happened? Why are we there? We are plucky little Brighton that no-one should lose to. What the hell is going on?

We are very fortunate in meeting two clubs who are going through a very poor period,we need the points for when we meet the top half of the league teams

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IF

I know its a big IF we can win our next 2 home games and get a point at Old Trafford we will be looking very healthy going into the Liverpool game with confidence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here