Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BASINGSTOKESEAGULL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unbelievable. Is this the highest we've ever been in our history?
    No, there was a whole thread on this a while back.

Although maybe it doesn't really count as it was early in the season, we went 5th by beating Wolves 1-0 at Molineaux on Tues, 22 Sep,1981. That was our highest ever league placing, although we only remained 5th for 24 hours as Man City and Nottingham Forest won games in hand the following evening to push us down to 7th.

This was the top of the table when we were 5th:

Name:  1981 table1.png
Views: 228
Size:  6.0 KB

The Albion programme notes which said that the 2-0 midweek victory over Southampton at the Dell on Dec 8 had moved us up to our highest-ever league placing were thefefore incorrect, as we only went 6th after that win - although, as it was getting towards half-way through the season, it was more of a real achievement. This was the top of the table when we were 6th:

Name:  1981 table2.png
Views: 230
Size:  6.9 KB

I seem to remember we were hovvering around 7th or 8th (with a potential UEFA Cup spot not an unlikely prospect) until the final months of the season, when a really bad run (only two wins in our last 14 games) meant we finished a disappointing 13th. Still our highest ever final league position, though. I reckon we could beat it this season.
    *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

• North Stand Chat

advertising

On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Ff=
      Quote Originally Posted by kevo View Post

Although maybe it doesn't really count as it was early in the season, we went 5th by beating Wolves on Tues, 22 Sep,1981. That was our highest ever league placing, although we only remained 5th for 24 hours as Man City and Nottingham Forest won games in hand the following evening to push us down to 7th.

The Albion programme notes which said that the midweek victory over Southampton at the Dell on Dec 8 had moved us up to our highest-ever league placing were thefefore incorrect, as we only went 6th after that win - although, as it was getting towards half-way through the season, it was more of a real achievement. This was the top of the table when we were 6th:

I seem to remember we were hovvering around 7th or 8th (with a potential UEFA Cup spot not an unlikely prospect) until the final months of the season, when a really bad run (only two wins in our last 14 games) meant we finished a disappointing 13th. Still our highest ever final league position, though. I reckon we could beat it this season.
      You will never again see a top seven featuring all those clubs
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Ff=

Agreed. Much more of a level playing field in those days...
      *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      Yawn. How many times have you ever phoned up 606 simply to praise the opposition then?

Bizarrely enough I have only bothered once, and that was after we beat Forest having been hammered for 89 mins and we scored with our only shot.
      Sure it was slightly backhanded, but a compliment none the less.

Anyway I wasn't talking about the fans, but the presenters not asking the obvious question 'what if Brighton we're just better than you'.

If nothing else the reaction should have been entertaining.

Anyway
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Ff=

And all overtaken by the eventual champs.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by kevo View Post

Although maybe it doesn't really count as it was early in the season, we went 5th by beating Wolves 1-0 at Molineaux on Tues, 22 Sep,1981. That was our highest ever league placing, although we only remained 5th for 24 hours as Man City and Nottingham Forest won games in hand the following evening to push us down to 7th.

The Albion programme notes which said that the 2-0 midweek victory over Southampton at the Dell on Dec 8 had moved us up to our highest-ever league placing were thefefore incorrect, as we only went 6th after that win - although, as it was getting towards half-way through the season, it was more of a real achievement. This was the top of the table when we were 6th:

Looking at that second table - there were five teams behind us with games in hand that could overtake us. Today, there's just the one. So, arguably - we're higher placed now than then in 'real' terms!

0 Not allowed!
      Just to confirm, we are still eighth and will be for at least the next 12 days.
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki
      My Hair is like his hair *Gullsworth*'s Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post
      Just to confirm, we are still eighth and will be for at least the next 12 days.
      But cannot get higher than eighth even if we beat Stoke a million to nil! ( Am I right?)
      Brighton & Hove Albion will be there long after the current players, manager,chairman......thanks to who?...you of course!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by *Gullsworth* View Post
      But cannot get higher than eighth even if we beat Stoke a million to nil! ( Am I right?)
      Be a nice scoreline, if a touch OTT.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      Can you believe after 11 games we are closer to the top than the bottom?

What happened? Why are we there? We are plucky little Brighton that no-one should lose to. What the hell is going on?
      We are very fortunate in meeting two clubs who are going through a very poor period,we need the points for when we meet the top half of the league teams