Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swansea City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Mahrez and Knocky are totally different players to Vardy? They are not no.9's.

Oh dear!!!!! My point is that Knocky would look as good as Mahrez if he was playing with Vardy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh dear!!!!! My point is that Knocky would look as good as Mahrez if he was playing with Vardy.

I thought that might have been over my head, but replied anyway, like you do. Yeah Knocky is as good as Mahrez otherwise the latter would be at Chelsea/Man U by now.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No its gorgeous We have no humidity here. 5000 feet above sea level.

happy days :cheers:

Enjoy

only time I had to go to Joburg was a connecting flight to Durbs and they put us all through Ebola checks which made us miss our next flight with a 6 month old and a 2 year and 8 year old having already connected from Ethiopa. 40 hours door to door. Never ever again

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Enjoy

only time I had to go to Joburg was a connecting flight to Durbs and they put us all through Ebola checks which made us miss our next flight with a 6 month old and a 2 year and 8 year old having already connected from Ethiopa. 40 hours door to door. Never ever again

and obviously they lost vital bits of our baggage just a pushchair and stuff like

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
What's the altitude like? Is it as difficult to breathe in as it's made out? I know South America has some countries high up. Like the Albion! :albion:

You get quite tired for the first week or two but after that it's no problem at all. I never noticed it apart from the tiredness. Hot weather without any humidity for 9 months of the year is fantastic.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Interesting point. Do you not think we haven't parked the bus this season at 1 goal advantage whereas we did last season. We do look more capable of going for it than we did in the Championship. I have found us far more attractive as a side this season at a 1 goal advantage. Man City excluded which, on reflection, was rabbits in headlights.

Exactly the same as last season. Having an extra midfielder means we can leave 1 up front at all times whereas last season we all dropped as we couldn't allow 2 to goal hang.

Man City aside, we don't park the bus a la sit back and smack it forward waiting for the next barrage of attack. We soak up pressure and slowly build an attack once our midfielders are past the halfway line we think about running but until we're in a safe position it's very slow to ensure we don't get exploited. Once our midfield occupy the oppositions half we pass and look for opportunities and close down quickly when we lose the ball which helps us to recycle play.

We are in desperate need of some pace to allow us to punish teams who are pushing for an equaliser, it doesn't have to come from the centre forward it could be from a no 10 role or from our wide men but that would require a different set up when defending which CH isn't likely to use anytime soon

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Enjoy

I always fly direct from the UK. You save 100 quid or so taking connecting flights but for me it's just not worth the aggravation. Leave London at 9pm and arrive in Joburg at 7am. Easy.

D

Deleted member 2719

It's always been like this under CH, our whole set up is about being disciplined. We sit tight and do not allow our opposition to get in behind our fullbacks or create opportunities where they have a striker in the box with time and space. When we win possession we try to pass it out and build an attack, often the ball ends up with a winger and if possible they drive towards the box to try and provide an opportunity for a striker or to shoot themselves. None of this is ever done in a hurry or at risk that we give away the ball in a dangerous situation.

All of this is set up and dependent upon the strong steady centre backs, diciplined fullbacks and central midfield cover. In the Championship this was enough with Stephens & Kayal they did a job and broke forward allowing us to play 2 strikers, in the Premier League we play against better opposition and have an additional player in Gross who drops and helps but we only have 1 up front.

I remember many situations last season thinking we should go for the kill but our whole game is built on exploiting the opposition and their mistakes rather than outplaying them. This means several 1 goal victories and soaking up pressure, a few draws when someone gets a lucky chance or a stalemate but never an embarrassing hiding. Survival will be about the mistakes that we make and how we are punished and we defend as a team. Over the next few seasons we will add pace, power and attacking ability but under CH we will always focus on being disciplined and hard to beat

I noticed this defence culture very early in the CH days and put my view out that this isn't the brand of football i prefer to watch.

I take my hat of to him for sticking by his guns and TB supporting him with a decent Championship budget, it's no doubt a winning formula for points and goal difference, its where i will still say it's not my type of football to hang on for so long, for example no shots at goal in the 2nd half.

I understand from TB position that being in the Premier is so important financial to the club and needs must.

I just hope we are going to open up when we are definitely safe, because we have some great forward players that are exciting when given the chance to push on.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Exactly the same as last season. Having an extra midfielder means we can leave 1 up front at all times whereas last season we all dropped as we couldn't allow 2 to goal hang.

Man City aside, we don't park the bus a la sit back and smack it forward waiting for the next barrage of attack. We soak up pressure and slowly build an attack once our midfielders are past the halfway line we think about running but until we're in a safe position it's very slow to ensure we don't get exploited. Once our midfield occupy the oppositions half we pass and look for opportunities and close down quickly when we lose the ball which helps us to recycle play.

We are in desperate need of some pace to allow us to punish teams who are pushing for an equaliser, it doesn't have to come from the centre forward it could be from a no 10 role or from our wide men but that would require a different set up when defending which CH isn't likely to use anytime soon

Absolutely agree we need a Jamie Vardy type player which I did post elsewhere, maybe here. But as the games go by do you not see a confidence growing in the side that just outplays anything we are used to. I have this scenario, it is tense and ball knackering to get out of the Championship, once you get in the Prem, learn your opposition, realise they really aren't as good as Preston, you stick with your tried and tested. I haven't seen anything against us that sets me alight yet, not even Man City. We have a long, long time in this division, unless we become mediocre.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
II understand from TB position that being in the Premier is so important financial to the club and needs must.

I just hope we are going to open up when we are definitely safe, because we have some great forward players that are exciting when given the chance to push on.

It's not important to TB, it is important to us as a self financing club. TB has a wealth that doesn't really matter to him. He's building an empire.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember us playing Tottenham a few seasons back in some Cup thingy, we lost 2-0. Great ground, loved it, shame it's gone. Pain in the arse to get to though... I digress. They were so fast and pacy I just knew we couldn't live with them. They weren't even as good as they are now. I always thought if every Prem team is like that we will drop like a brick. I remember the 6-1 drubbing at Liverpool, felt the same then too. But we have adapted and we may or may not make teams like Swansea look shit. I don't get worried about relegation now, although I am sure we'll have a 4/5 run without a win.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Absolutely agree we need a Jamie Vardy type player which I did post elsewhere, maybe here. But as the games go by do you not see a confidence growing in the side that just outplays anything we are used to. I have this scenario, it is tense and ball knackering to get out of the Championship, once you get in the Prem, learn your opposition, realise they really aren't as good as Preston, you stick with your tried and tested. I haven't seen anything against us that sets me alight yet, not even Man City. We have a long, long time in this division, unless we become mediocre.

I think the jump is massive, the ability on the ball in very little space is impressive and the finishing when given a second in the box is deadly. That is the main reason for our change of formation and rightly so. We do not have the quality to compete in this league, man for man our squad isn't as strong as most others hence the pre-season relegation prediction from most bookies and pundits. We have to play together as a team and make it difficult for other teams to beat us and hope we can exploit their mistakes. Just like a cup game.

Luckily for us so many sides in this league make mistakes and the confidence we must be building can only help, no doubt we will have a poor run at some point but we have made a superb start

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I noticed this defence culture very early in the CH days and put my view out that this isn't the brand of football i prefer to watch.

I take my hat of to him for sticking by his guns and TB supporting him with a decent Championship budget, it's no doubt a winning formula for points and goal difference, its where i will still say it's not my type of football to hang on for so long, for example no shots at goal in the 2nd half.

I understand from TB position that being in the Premier is so important financial to the club and needs must.

There must be some very hard work taking place on the training ground.
I think we are now gaining some respect, certainly the pundits are slowly changing there minds, well the sensible ones anyway.
We are gradually going from 'it does not matter if Brighton score, they will sit back and we will get back in the game', to ' don't let them score first they are organised and defensively sound'.
That brings in the surley Glenn Murray who, off the ball, is now occupying the defenders by getting in their faces and not allowing them the freedom to gamble and get forward and that opens the game out and we don't have to sit back so deep.
It is now known as a CH masterclass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here