Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Amex's Khaki Roofs - Love 'em or hate 'em?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Huddersfield’s ground still has a blue roof and it’s 23 bloody years old. I’m not surprised the club are pissed off at the speed of the degradation.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm sure that either Tony Bloom or Paul Barber mentioned recently about the apparent colour change and said that manufacturer was looking into it.
It'll cost the company a few quid if they have to replace it all with better quality material that stays blue. Corner cutting is never a good idea.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
When you look at the stadium's roof panels now, it's hard to recall that, six years ago, they were a shiny, bright blue. But once the canopies had begun their slow fade to grey, the overall effect began looking disappointingly dismal, cheap even.

Now that has changed yet again. The present colour, perhaps best described as a greenish khaki, surely looks entirely appropriate and settled, blending gently as it does with the surrounding downland landscape. It's almost as if this had been the plan all along. (Except that I have it on very good authority that the club are appalled at the colour degradation, and are taking the matter up with the suppliers.)

Given that one early design had all of the stadium's roofs planted with grass [ the so-called 'bunds']. the present appearance offers a fair approximation of that original, naturalistic effect - one that is all of a piece with Brighton's impeeccably Green credentials.

So, crunch question. Are we happy now with the Amex's unexpectedly rustic roofs? Are we liking the lichen? Or do we want only to bring back the blue?

Are you volunteering to clean them?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I sit near the back of WSU and so have a view of a vast expanse of roof...last Sunday I didn't notice them looking green or darkened; it was perfectly bright.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
E82CD6A9-C77A-43CA-B29A-8555C766BB3C.jpeg

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would hope that eventually they'll be replaced with transparent photo-voltaic cells to collect electricity.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I must admit, first season there was quickly an accumulation of seagull shit up there, but this seems to be no longer a problem. Do we send out birds of prey? Perhaps its them that have green wee.

Looks fine to me, whatever.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I must admit, first season there was quickly an accumulation of seagull shit up there, but this seems to be no longer a problem. Do we send out birds of prey? Perhaps its them that have green wee.

Looks fine to me, whatever.

Yep, we employ a falconer to fly his fabulous bird around the stadium and scare the gulls away (or at least we did quite recently - and beautiful plumage it has, too)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here