Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hey lefties - what do you think of this?

larus

Harriet Harman said this on the This Week with Andrew Neil.

'How do you get 100 Jews into a Mini? One in the driver's seat and 99 in the ashtray.'

Hmm, let's see them defend this. Imagine the outcry from them if this had been "vile, Tory scum".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Harriet Harman said this on the This Week with Andrew Neil.

'How do you get 100 Jews into a Mini? One in the driver's seat and 99 in the ashtray.'
Did she say "I heard a disgusting joke that went like this..."?

I can't believe a UK politician would say that as a genuine joke.

EDIT - I've just checked it out, and the clip was cut short but she was quoting a magazine and saying the joke wasn't funny.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hi a Lefty here,

I think this 'joke' is totally unacceptable.

Sincerely,

A Lefty xx

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Larus posted on NSC 'How do you get 100 Jews into a Mini? One in the driver's seat and 99 in the ashtray.'

Is that acceptable, should he be banned?

Jan 30, 2008
Larus posted on NSC 'How do you get 100 Jews into a Mini? One in the driver's seat and 99 in the ashtray.'

oh, OFFENDED FOR THE SAKE OF BEING OFFENDED BY A BIT OF SPIN ON THE MATTER ,NO HE SHOULDN'T BE BANNED:rolleyes:
regards
DR

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I need to watch it to get the context but it will be difficult to brush off. IF she said it in the way you have said then she needs to be booted and deselected. There can be no party politics in something like this.

However, given her history, i seriously doubt that it was meant as stated?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
oh, OFFENDED FOR THE SAKE OF BEING OFFENDED BY A BIT OF SPIN ON THE MATTER ,NO HE SHOULDN'T BE BANNED:rolleyes:
regards
DR
Whooosh

(assuming this is the genuine account, I can't tell the difference)

I need to watch it to get the context but it will be difficult to brush off. IF she said it in the way you have said then she needs to be booted and deselected. There can be no party politics in something like this.
She didn't. It was a joke in a hospital magazine some years ago, she rightly complained about the joke, and she was told she was overeating and humourless.

She didn't need to say the detail of the joke to put her message across, and I don't know the detail of why she accused Andrew Neil of being ok with such jokes, but otherwise she's not done anything wrong.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

She was remarkably clumsily trying to explain things she found unacceptable and complained about in the past... but so strange to repeat it in full.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

I'm struggling to think of ANY context in which it would be appropriate to say the 'joke' on TV.

larus

Surely as you've repeated it, you're as culpable - just saying like guv. On the plus side, it would make me more productive at work.

What was worse IMO is that she accused Andrew Neil of saying that he would find it acceptable.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
To clarify the context of why she said it, she accused Andrew Neil of being a person who would think that joke was fine. Though I agree that repeating an antisemitic joke on national television, as well as making a baseless straw man of Andrew Neil is totally unacceptable, and I don't think taking a picture of a page in your own book and posting it on twitter is going to solve the problem.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I second this motion. I can't believe Larus would post that on NSC...
Unfortunately I've also posted it, and I too should be banned now.

You too have posted it by quoting me quoting Larus quoting Harriet quoting Guy's hospital Biscuit, so you too have to be banned.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here