Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Space news [ISS, SpaceX etc]

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
17 years of continuous human activity in SPACE!

The international space station is ****ing awesome.

.....awaits Ulloa penalty comments

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Or Amanda Holden interviewing Major Tim and asking him if he bought back some moon rock:facepalm::facepalm:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
What has the international space station achieved in terms knowledge and the future of humanity. Apart from being a thrill ride with a great view.

A genuine question?

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
What has the international space station achieved in terms knowledge and the future of humanity. Apart from being a thrill ride with a great view.

A genuine question?

It has achieved a better understanding of the trajectory of the ball from Ulloa's penalty and the realisation that his future in the Premiere League is short-lived.

A genuine response?

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

A genuine question?

They have worked out how to grow food in space (sort of). That's pretty fundamental to allowing access to them rest of the universe.
Not that that will ever happen ....but then a hundred years ago what we now have in terms of technology was unfathomable.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I wasn't aware that happened.
I don't doubt it did.

Oh dear.
[yt]nSewlT9xy1o[/yt]

:facepalm: indeed.

On a slight space tangent, I love watching the progress of private companies like Elon Musk's SpaceX - the fact that they are now capable of launching satellites and equipment into space and then landing the rocket so that they can re-use it is fascinating to me.

My partner is a space obsessive who actually got to do a six month internship at the European Astronaut Centre in Cologne a few years back, so he tends to keep me well-informed about space matters, and we usually watch the live webcasts of the SpaceX launch and lands, depending on time differences.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On a Tim Peake note as well, it is fairly likely as things currently stand that he'll go back to the ISS at some point in 2019.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was reading about the ISS the other week whilst bored out of my skull at work and found this awesome little tidbit:

The Immortality Drive is a large memory device which was taken to the International Space Station in a Soyuz spacecraft on October 12, 2008. The Immortality Drive contains fully digitized DNA sequences of a select group of humans, such as physicist Stephen Hawking, comedian and talk show host Stephen Colbert, Playboy model Jo Garcia, game designer Richard Garriott, fantasy authors Tracy Hickman and Laura Hickman, pro wrestler Matt Morgan, and athlete Lance Armstrong.[1][2] The microchip also contains a copy of George's Secret Key to the Universe, a children's book authored by Stephen Hawking and his daughter, Lucy.

The intent of the Immortality Drive is to preserve human DNA in a time capsule, in case some global cataclysm should occur on Earth.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If anyone wants a science fiction novel recommendation that really does describe the ISS in great operational detail, as well as being a superb story – Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
She can come on my rocket and i will take her into orbit. :thumbsup:

Fair enough but what if she asked a dum question like that whilst in that process of going to orbit

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or Amanda Holden interviewing Major Tim and asking him if he bought back some moon rock:facepalm::facepalm:
Holy shit, you're not joking, the dumb bitch actually did that! I'm starting to get angry, how can someone so ****ing stupid be given the job!

Upon learning that he didn't go to the ****ing moon, she asked if there was anything floating about the space-station that he could steal :facepalm:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Holy shit, you're not joking, the dumb bitch actually did that! I'm starting to get angry, how can someone so ****ing stupid be given the job!

Upon learning that he didn't go to the ****ing moon, she asked if there was anything floating about the space-station that he could steal :facepalm:

Probably some air for her head!

D

Deleted member 22389

[yt]nSewlT9xy1o[/yt]

:facepalm: indeed.

On a slight space tangent, I love watching the progress of private companies like Elon Musk's SpaceX - the fact that they are now capable of launching satellites and equipment into space and then landing the rocket so that they can re-use it is fascinating to me.

My partner is a space obsessive who actually got to do a six month internship at the European Astronaut Centre in Cologne a few years back, so he tends to keep me well-informed about space matters, and we usually watch the live webcasts of the SpaceX launch and lands, depending on time differences.

Amazing how they get the Falcon to land back on that barge. Always try to watch Space X when I can for launches. I love Elon Musks vision.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Amazing how they get the Falcon to land back on that barge. Always try to watch Space X when I can for launches. I love Elon Musks vision.
On December 29th, they're due to have the first launch of what they're calling the Falcon Heavy, which will be the most powerful rocket ever launched if successful - where the Falcon-9 runs with nine of their Merlin engines, this thing will have 27.

After launch, it splits into three sections, a central rocket and two boosters, and the plan is to land and re-use all three.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here