Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 7 seasons of the NSK

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Watched both. Atmosphere, bar, beers after A**, actual football like watching Sunday League. Not worth £12

Fair play. Think you are being very harsh about the standard of football though. I agree its not comparable to the prem but I saw an early contender for goal of the season on Saturday whilst watching a step 5 game.

As for what it costs well that is something that has filtered down through the game unfortunately. £12 is about what it costs to go to the pictures these days so I'm told. I know where I'd rather spend my money.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Fair play. Think you are being very harsh about the standard of football though. I agree its not comparable to the prem but I saw an early contender for goal of the season on Saturday whilst watching a step 5 game.

As for what it costs well that is something that has filtered down through the game unfortunately. £12 is about what it costs to go to the pictures these days so I'm told. I know where I'd rather spend my money.

I don't understand the economics of lower tier football at all. My closest professional club is Eastleigh. They bought their way up a couple of divisions a few seasons back, with players I can recall the Albion coveting once (Matt Tubbs, James Constable, Gary McSheffrey, etc). They are currently spending plenty on improving the ground, one stand at a time, which looks pretty tidy now, but none of it seems to add up.

Tickets are over a tenner and the football really isn't worth it, but to finance the club on crowds of around 1,500 how can they ever charge any less?

And if they did, would it even help? Two weeks ago they made the home game v Solihull Moors FREE ENTRY, and still only pulled in 2,500.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I don't understand the economics of lower tier football at all. My closest professional club is Eastleigh. They bought their way up a couple of divisions a few seasons back, with players I can recall the Albion coveting once (Matt Tubbs, James Constable, Gary McSheffrey, etc). They are currently spending plenty on improving the ground, one stand at a time, which looks pretty tidy now, but none of it seems to add up.

Tickets are over a tenner and the football really isn't worth it, but to finance the club on crowds of around 1,500 how can they ever charge any less?

And if they did, would it even help? Two weeks ago they made the home game v Solihull Moors FREE ENTRY, and still only pulled in 2,500.

Local benefactor sticking money in??

I guess at Conference level the aim is to get in the football league but as you say would going up a step put much more on the gate?

My team Crowborough are one of the big spenders in their league, the money is coming from the same family that now own Eastbourne Borough. Because of that connection they can no official capacity with the club. Its a very dangerous game as they could remove their money at any point but as a club what do they do? Turn the money down? If they go up this season the gates may go up by 20-30 on average but probably not enough to offset the cost of getting better players in I wouldn't have thought.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Is it much different to the economics of league football?

Wealthy benefactors bankrolling a club either because they support it and have a few quid, or see the club as a "good thing" if they can move it up the pyramid a bit.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Is it much different to the economics of league football?

Wealthy benefactors bankrolling a club either because they support it and have a few quid, or see the club as a "good thing" if they can move it up the pyramid a bit.

I guess.

In this case though, they are not local (the same guy owns /part-owns Oxford City) and there doesn't seem any local appetite to support progression up the leagues. It's basically a suburb of Southampton, and everyone who is interested in live football supports them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess.

In this case though, they are not local (the same guy owns /part-owns Oxford City) and there doesn't seem any local appetite to support progression up the leagues. It's basically a suburb of Southampton, and everyone who is interested in live football supports them.

Just because someone thinks an investment is a "good thing" doesn't mean it is. Plenty of examples of that in recent Football League history too!

I love how these 'ultras' love to crow about their disdain for modern football. Ultras in the British game is very much a new and modern phenomenon.

I wasn't around long enough in the 80's to speak with any real authority, but I reckon if these Ultras marched across the terraces and proudly announced themselves to the masses they would have been laughed out of the stadium...

They would have more in common with the masses than the middle age gits that go now!

homer

Jan 4, 2007
Eastbourne
They get the stand going maybe we should focus on singing as one across the whole north stand but saying that any chant is a good cheT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here