Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs 3 - 0 Real Madrid

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Unless I've got my maths wrong surely that would mean we would beat Real Madrid 6-2
Madrid were able to put 1 past Spurs. That's less than West Ham managed (3). But free scoring West Ham couldn't score against us, so it's quite clear Madrid wouldn't either.

The only question is how many we'd score. Spurs scored 3, which is 50% more than they scored against West Ham, so we should win 4 or 5 nil.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe it would help if we had a decent manager.

Anyway, I thought the consensus on here was that Sterling was shit?
I suspect it probably would help, yes. :lolol:

As for Sterling, IMO this season he's certainly looked significantly better than players previously considered his piers, players like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Give Spurs the credit they deserve,

a) they are not inflating player prices (only when they sell)

b) they play young ( often English) players if they merit it rather than rely on reputation

c) they play good football

and no I am not a closet Spurs fan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lads, it's Tottenham.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Most of the Premier League football I've watched so far this season has been pretty uninspiring. (I haven't seen a Man City game yet, and am not counting BHA games because I don't watch them objectively. I'm a fan.)

But the times I've seen Spurs I've been hugely impressed by the Alli/Kane combination and the club's football generally. Much more entertaining than what I've seen from Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That’s also twice in 2 Weeks Winks has been better than the offering of the CM of Real, he doesn’t lose the ball.

If Southgate has any brains he should be starting for England.

The ball to Trippier for the first goal was quality as well.

You could build an exciting and skilful side that teams would fear using the City and Spurs players as the core.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It was a fantastic evening. Managed to watch this is a directors box with our own chef, how the other half live.

not being biased but the scoreline flattered Real. We could have easily had another 3.

The highlight of the evening was the ole'ing with a total disregard for the current European champions.

Bring on the 13th Dec :thumbsup:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Top work I thought by James Richardson on the BT Sport goals show last night after Alli scored:

"Real sliced open on the counter by the Deli-man."

:lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Point is that it's such lazy and tired beating of the "best League in the World" drum to say that no-one outside the top few in Spain are any good and routinely get thrashed, "whereas the fantastic Premier League is so competitive all the way down.

Bollox. Football has gone the same way everywhere. The mega rich clubs at the top win most of the time, and often thrash a team near the bottom. But there are always surprise results. That happens here, it happens in Spain, and it's only the wretched Sky era that has brought this incessant need to be the "best League in the World" and to try to prove the point by belittling other Leagues. Why does it matter?

For me, the best, most exciting League in the World is the one my team play in. Always has been, always will be.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Point is that it's such lazy and tired beating of the "best League in the World" drum to say that no-one outside the top few in Spain are any good and routinely get thrashed, "whereas the fantastic Premier League is so competitive all the way down.

Bollox. Football has gone the same way everywhere. The mega rich clubs at the top win most of the time, and often thrash a team near the bottom. But there are always surprise results. That happens here, it happens in Spain, and it's only the wretched Sky era that has brought this incessant need to be the "best League in the World" and to try to prove the point by belittling other Leagues. Why does it matter?

It's not belittling other leagues. It's making a comparison. After all, isn't football all about opinions, or should that stop and we all agree on the same thing? NSC would be fun that way.

I doubt a 2nd tier team in Spain would get promoted, almost get relegated the following season and then win the La Liga the next season.

Look at all the Top flight winners in Spain since 1984 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spanish_football_champions. Do you not think that would spoil the standard of most other teams competing wth them like it does in Scotland?

Here's a list of Spanish top flight winners:

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Atlético Madrid
Athletic Bilbao
Valencia
Real Sociedad
Deportivo La Coruña
Sevilla
Real Betis

Here's a list of English top flight winners:

Manchester United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Everton
Aston Villa
Sunderland
Chelsea
Manchester City
Newcastle United
Sheffield Wednesday
Leeds United
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Huddersfield Town
Blackburn Rovers
Preston North End
Tottenham Hotspur
Derby County
Burnley
Portsmouth
Ipswich Town
Nottingham Forest
Sheffield United
West Bromwich Albion
Leicester City

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

For me, the best, most exciting League in the World is the one my team play in. Always has been, always will be.

Real and Barca sell their own rights, so the gap is much bigger. Yes you get upsets, but much less frequently.

Atletico have done well to break into what I thought would be a 2 horse race ad infinitum since Valencia/Deportivo at the turn of the milennium. Check where they've been the last few years.

La Liga is different football, I don't think anyone can reliably predict how their clubs would do against ours week in week out, especially when you consider that they play at different times in a different climate. One thing that is undeniable though, it IS less competitive because of how their TV rights work.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
We beat West Ham 3-0

West Ham beat Spurs 3-2

Spurs beat Real Madrid 3-1

= We would beat Real Madrid 2-0 :albion2: :rave:
Which makes us European Champions. I love football logic. Hours of fun.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
One thing that is undeniable though, it IS less competitive because of how their TV rights work.

Is it though. Top 2, granted, a bigger cap than here, although still a gap that has been bridged without the mega finances very recently by Atletico Madrid.

But look down the last decade or so at the range of teams they have seen in their top 4 compared to us. I would say they have had more team come through and make a challenge before falling back into the pack again than we have over the last decade or two.

Our top 6 probably won't change now until next August. Whereas I would say Spain has a much better chance of a team breaking teh top 4, earning a Champions League place, and benefiting from the finances that then brings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here