Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Nile Rodgers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Used to like his stuff but am coming around to thinking he's a bit of a one trick pony.

Same guitar riff on nearly every song he is involved in.

Is he really the legend he is being made out to be?

Also getting way too much exposure on the radio and tv imo.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Phew! I feared the worst when I saw the the thread title.

Exactly the same here.

He was/is brilliant. As well as loving much of the music he made and produced with/for others, I can only go by what other great musicians have said about him. In reading Johnny Marr's autobio, he rates NR as a genius. He discovered him fairly late, having been blinkered against that genre of music initially, then completely changed his mind.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Exactly the same here.

He was/is brilliant. As well as loving much of the music he made and produced with/for others, I can only go by what other great musicians have said about him. In reading Johnny Marr's autobio, he rates NR as a genius. He discovered him fairly late, having been blinkered against that genre of music initially, then completely changed his mind.

I think that's the thing. I can see where Icy Gull is coming from but I also get the feeling, like you, with NR that it's as much what he brings to the recording studio as his actual playing of the guitar and by the universal adulation he receives from the great and the good in the music world he must be something quite special.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that's the thing. I can see where Icy Gull is coming from but I also get the feeling, like you, with NR that it's as much what he brings to the recording studio as his actual playing of the guitar and by the universal adulation he receives from the great and the good in the music world he must be something quite special.

As a kid I wouldn't have listened to Chic, a typical boy not liking disco music at that time, instead just post punk and new wave. But when old enought to go clubbing :drink: , they stood out as a cut above, especially the NR generated rhythm and lovely vocals, helping me to become motre musically broad minded.

It's varied tastes. People older than me into hard metal and heavy rock, who I've met, always seem to despise the likes of Chic, plus Joy D, Smiths, The Jam, etc.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am biased due to being an old soul boy and DJ and Chic were a large part of my yoof.
Just not enough funky guitar as far as I'm concerned but Chics disco music is more or less entirely based on that rift, but I have seen him play other stuff and he is a decent guitar player, no George Benson but very good.
Also, I love their Bass player too, plenty of funky bass especially on Le Freak, Bernard Edwards had big shoes to fill and he fills them well.
I also really appreciate bands that sound identical live as they do recorded.
Great band, on the red button now live for R2.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The backing all sounds the same though doesn’t it? Yes Chic were very good and the collaboration with Bowie was interesting but his style is stuck in a rut and yet continues to wow people. I don't get the adulation.

Can one of you impressed fans point me at something he's done that is markedly different to a Chic riff

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
His work with megastars like George Michael and Duran Duran has been great. Really helped funk it up.. Nick Rhodes has gone on record to say what a great collaboration it's been

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As a kid I wouldn't have listened to Chic, a typical boy not liking disco music at that time, instead just post punk and new wave. But when old enought to go clubbing :drink: , they stood out as a cut above, especially the NR generated rhythm and lovely vocals, helping me to become motre musically broad minded.

It's varied tastes. People older than me into hard metal and heavy rock, who I've met, always seem to despise the likes of Chic, plus Joy D, Smiths, The Jam, etc.

Completely agree. Each to their own but I've never understood people that are so into just one or two types of music and then shut the door firmly on anything else. I've always liked disco, new wave and especially pop and as I've got older I've grown to love folky music, a genre that I never had any time for before.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Not even looking at the multitude of hits written by the man just check this list of songs produced by Nile Rodgers:

China Girl - David Bowie
Cosmic Thing - The B-52s
Deadbeat Club - The B-52s
Dress You Up - Madonna
Fantasy - George Michael
Frankie - Sister Sledge
Get Lucky - Daft Punk
Give Life Back to Music - Daft Punk
Give Me Your Love - Sigala
He's The Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge
I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
Invitation To Dance - Kim Carnes
Lay Me Down - Avicii
Le Freak - Chic
Let's Dance - David Bowie
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Lose Yourself to Dance - Daft Punk
Love Shack - The B-52s
Material Girl - Madonna
Notorious - Duran Duran
Only in Dreams - Duran Duran
Out Out - Peter Gabriel
Overcome - Laura Mvula
Pressure Off - Duran Duran
Roam - The B-52s
Spacer - Sheila B. Devotion
Sun Don't Let Me Down - Keith Urban
The Reflex - Duran Duran
Together - Disclosure
We Are Family - Sister Sledge
What Is Right - Chase & Status
Wild Boys - Duran Duran

LEGEND.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Completely agree. Each to their own but I've never understood people that are so into just one or two types of music and then shut the door firmly on anything else. I've always liked disco, new wave and especially pop and as I've got older I've grown to love folky music, a genre that I never had any time for before.

Country Rock will creep up on you soon :wink:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not even looking at the multitude of hits written by the man just check this list of songs produced by Nile Rodgers:

China Girl - David Bowie
Cosmic Thing - The B-52s
Deadbeat Club - The B-52s
Dress You Up - Madonna
Fantasy - George Michael
Frankie - Sister Sledge
Get Lucky - Daft Punk
Give Life Back to Music - Daft Punk
Give Me Your Love - Sigala
He's The Greatest Dancer - Sister Sledge
I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
Invitation To Dance - Kim Carnes
Lay Me Down - Avicii
Le Freak - Chic
Let's Dance - David Bowie
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Lose Yourself to Dance - Daft Punk
Love Shack - The B-52s
Material Girl - Madonna
Notorious - Duran Duran
Only in Dreams - Duran Duran
Out Out - Peter Gabriel
Overcome - Laura Mvula
Pressure Off - Duran Duran
Roam - The B-52s
Spacer - Sheila B. Devotion
Sun Don't Let Me Down - Keith Urban
The Reflex - Duran Duran
Together - Disclosure
We Are Family - Sister Sledge
What Is Right - Chase & Status
Wild Boys - Duran Duran

LEGEND.

Hold my hands up, that is indeed an mpressive list

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Same here. Plus quite a bit of classical and random stuff from various eras.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was crap at Newcastle and unbelievably rubbish when on loan here. And he's ****ing dick head. Fact.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Fantasticstuff.
The old bird and I love N.R.

And there you go with their popularity good bands never die, they do dissapear for a while but tend to return as strong as ever.
While younger people seem to enjoy Chic and 70's/80's disco, for us oldies they take you back to a carefree time in the clubs, no money problems, not getting nagged at and Peter Ward banging them in every Saturday.
People like to remember that sort of stuff and nothing does it better than music.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here