Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What will be the Magic number of points to survive in the PL?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Ok, from last year's final table:

Watford 40 points
Hull 34 points
Middlesbrough 28 points
Sunderland 24 points

How many points did Middlesbrough need to survive?

One more than 18th. The rest of your post is fluff and conjecture.

The actual figure is not the issue - one more point than the team who finished in 17th would have seen them safe. Obviously.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But what if Watford only got 35 points - who got the points that they didn't get?

I'd assume it was Palace, being as they've been the worst team in the country for 2 years and yet have somehow stayed up.

Can we have a recount ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One more than 18th. The rest of your post is fluff and conjecture.
How many points a team needs on average is conjecture!

The actual figure is not the issue
Have you seen the thread title?
What will be the Magic number of points to survive in the PL?
This whole thread is about how many points we'll need. Obviously we'll be happy with one more than however many 18th get, but how many is that likely to be?

So we look at past seasons to get an idea of how many points it usually takes. And you're saying add one to whatever the team in 18th got, and I'm explaining why that's wrong.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
40 points the next four games I think 9 points is a reasonable target we would then be just over the half way points total towards safety

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I reckon 40 should do it. If we get 40 points and still go down, we'll just have to file it alongside Frodo's two goals at Norwich that bounced in off the back off Stockers' head, the complete and utter shyster's performance at Middlesbrough, Barton not being sent off and an incontinent c nut of a Palarse coach driver with no shred of decency.

Things that just happen.......................to us; you know how it is!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
33 points would probably be enough.
Rather have more obviously.
Pure conjecture really, though after 10 games 4 tens have 8 points or less, so on target for 30/31 points.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
1 point per game is my own thought. I think only 1 team has been relegated with 38 or more in the last 15 odd years. 38 points is my target for us.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The target last season was two points a game and this season it's around one per game. We're beating that at the moment but we need to factor in the teams we've played.

The bedwetters' guide elsewhere is helpful - my simple calculation is that we should aim for three points out of the six available from each of the 13 other also-rans and then hope we pick up the odd point here and there from the half-dozen Champions League chasers.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I reckon 40 should do it. If we get 40 points and still go down, we'll just have to file it alongside Frodo's two goals at Norwich that bounced in off the back off Stockers' head, the complete and utter shyster's performance at Middlesbrough, Barton not being sent off and an incontinent c nut of a Palarse coach driver with no shred of decency.

Things that just happen.......................to us; you know how it is!

One would hope that, after poohgate, a member of Albion staff would be inspecting the visiting dressing room on arrival of the visiting team - just saying !

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
33 points would probably be enough.
Rather have more obviously.
Pure conjecture really, though after 10 games 4 tens have 8 points or less, so on target for 30/31 points.

I'm not sure it's fair to judge all teams equally at this point. Some are in a slightly false position seeing as they've played a few more tougher games than others. My gut feel is 39 points and we'll just about be okay.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One would hope that, after poohgate, a member of Albion staff would be inspecting the visiting dressing room on arrival of the visiting team - just saying !
I believe the norm is to allow the visitor's kit man (and his assistants if appropriate) to set out the away teams dressing room, after which it is considered away teams territory and is kept locked. I think many visitors would regard as an invasion of privacy if we went barging about in there after it had been set out. Of course, most teams, and their kit man (and coach driver) have used a toilet before and understand the correct procedure.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
I believe the norm is to allow the visitor's kit man (and his assistants if appropriate) to set out the away teams dressing room, after which it is considered away teams territory and is kept locked. I think many visitors would regard as an invasion of privacy if we went barging about in there after it had been set out. Of course, most teams, and their kit man (and coach driver) have used a toilet before and understand the correct procedure.

and have been house-trained as children.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We should continue to work on the simple calculation - Survival is points + 10% of games played = survival 38 games, plus 3.8 points = 42 needed

And FACT times interest = NEWS

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
There are 380 games in a Premier League season. If we believe that the league is split in to the top six and the remaining 14 and that the 14 are close in ability then, if I have got this right ( which may well not be the case..)...

30 of the 380 games are between top 6 sides playing each other. 168 games are between one of the top 6 and one of the other 14. And, 182 games are between the other 14 playing each other.

If the top 6 , on average, win once and draw once with the other 14 then the other 14 will garner 168 points from them.

If the other 14 show their close ability by drawing all their games they will each get 2 points from the 182 games for a total of 364. If they show their close ability by winning once and losing once they will each get 3 points for a total of 546.

Then , the other 14 teams in total get ( 168 + 364 ) to ( 168 + 546 ) which is 532 to 714 points which is 38 to 51 points each.

I don't know the usual split between wins and draws but looked at the past 4 seasons and the average number of points of the lower 14 teams has been between 41 and 44. Each year the 18th place team has had 7 or 8 points less than the average. The 17th place team has had 5 or 6 points less than the average apart from last year when it was just over 1 point less.

Of course all of the assumptions in here are not how things will turn out and everyone will have their own opinions on all of it. I was just curious to see what range of point totals might be possible.

Having done all this I'm not sure it tells us much.....we already knew that until the table develops it is better for teams around us to draw their games. ( Apart from any team who we might want to lose at any cost... :smile: )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here