Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 20 years ago. How crowds have changed !!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
20 years ago this November 5th.
For all the dross we saw at Gillingham this is the game that sticks out for me now we are up with the big boys
I use it as my reality check for The Albion

This is nicked from Wearebrighton website

Nothing illustrates that better than the fact that Barnet were the side against whom the Albion had their lowest ever gate for a home league game. November 5th 1997 was the day when only 1,025 people treked on a Wednesday night to Priestfield to watch two very poor fourth tier teams do battle.

Even that crowd figure appeared to be massaged - ask anyone in attendance and they will tell you there were no more than 900 people there. Which was just as well as Steve Gritt's side were hammered 3-0. Still, at least those on the Rainham End terrace got to see some nice fireworks going off at the opposite end of the ground as Gillingham celebrated Bonfire Night.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Extrapolating from the number of my Albion friends who claim to have been there, I reckon there were at least 14k in attendance (I wasn’t one of them)! Rather similar to those who saw Case’s goal...

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I haven't got any proof, but I reckon I was there. Maybe I'll have to find some. Genuinely didn't miss many games at Priestfield, as Tun Wells was only an hour away. I'll supply names of two people I may have been with, should I need to.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We had season tickets for the Priestfield years and I do recall the Barnet match, although not as clearly as the Formica charms of Gillingham's Wimpy Bar - and definitely not as clearly as Jimmy "He can hit them from there" Case's opener at Highbury. A good friend drove us to Kent most weeks so those two seasons weren't quite the challenge they could have been.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I was at that game, just my 5th at Gillingham as refused to go until Belloti had been sacked from the club.Looking back the crowd the game before (also midweek) v Lincoln was only 1,036.

Also the next game was A v Hereford in the FACup, not a fun day as they were still a little bitter from relegation the season before. My mate got a punch in the face as we went through the turnstyle to get in, and we lost 2-1.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I was NOT there.

However I do remember being in a Saturday Goldstone crowd of about 4500 just before Clough was appointed. During the Glory Years (mark 1) when our attendances were 25,000+ I remember thinking that those bad old days will never come back ...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I was at that game, just my 5th at Gillingham as refused to go until Belloti had been sacked from the club.Looking back the crowd the game before (also midweek) v Lincoln was only 1,036.

Also the next game was A v Hereford in the FACup, not a fun day as they were still a little bitter from relegation the season before. My mate got a punch in the face as we went through the turnstyle to get in, and we lost 2-1.

Tough times, another world

Mark Mywords

Jun 21, 2016
I was NOT there.

However I do remember being in a Saturday Goldstone crowd of about 4500 just before Clough was appointed. During the Glory Years (mark 1) when our attendances were 25,000+ I remember thinking that those bad old days will never come back ...

I was there, didn't Mike Bamber refer to us as 4500 wonderful people just for turning up?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I'll admit that I bought a ticket but didn't go because I went ice skating instead. I believe this is fair justification for not getting a naughty letter. I was also ill that day and can prove it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I went to nearly all the pissfilled games (25 minutes drive from Faversham) but I don't remember this one. I do remember being tonked 1-5 by Millwall in the fannybygaslight trophy one sad evening, with the legend that was Jamie Moralee scoring one of his legendary rare goals (deflected in off his well-travelled cock, if I remember correctly). If that helps.

Those days were like narcolepsy, with added diarrhoea and itching.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I believe I was harvesting virtual megafan loyalty points by having a ST but choosing to do Lewes Bonfire instead.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was definitely there, and I think that this was the night that Alan Green royally p!ssed me off by laughing on air at the 1000 fans that had bothered to travel to Priestfield rather than stay in and watch ManUre on the TV in the European Cup.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I was definitely there, and I think that this was the night that Alan Green royally p!ssed me off by laughing on air at the 1000 fans that had bothered to travel to Priestfield rather than stay in and watch ManUre on the TV in the European Cup.

Oooh, that sounds painfully familiar.

As with others: I can't recall the exact game (they all seemed to blur horrifically into one up there) but after about the first couple of matches, I think we barely missed one, so in all probability I was there.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Extrapolating from the number of my Albion friends who claim to have been there, I reckon there were at least 14k in attendance (I wasn’t one of them)! Rather similar to those who saw Case’s goal...
Would that be JC's screamer in the 83 cup semi v LOL? I WAS there with my dad that day right behind the goal standing on me box.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
20 years ago this November 5th.
For all the dross we saw at Gillingham this is the game that sticks out for me now we are up with the big boys
I use it as my reality check for The Albion

This is nicked from Wearebrighton website

Nothing illustrates that better than the fact that Barnet were the side against whom the Albion had their lowest ever gate for a home league game. November 5th 1997 was the day when only 1,025 people treked on a Wednesday night to Priestfield to watch two very poor fourth tier teams do battle.

Even that crowd figure appeared to be massaged - ask anyone in attendance and they will tell you there were no more than 900 people there. Which was just as well as Steve Gritt's side were hammered 3-0. Still, at least those on the Rainham End terrace got to see some nice fireworks going off at the opposite end of the ground as Gillingham celebrated Bonfire Night.

i diidnt go , but knew someone that did , !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here