Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

20 years ago. How crowds have changed !!

4 Not allowed!
    20 years ago this November 5th.
    For all the dross we saw at Gillingham this is the game that sticks out for me now we are up with the big boys
    I use it as my reality check for The Albion

This is nicked from Wearebrighton website

Nothing illustrates that better than the fact that Barnet were the side against whom the Albion had their lowest ever gate for a home league game. November 5th 1997 was the day when only 1,025 people treked on a Wednesday night to Priestfield to watch two very poor fourth tier teams do battle.

Even that crowd figure appeared to be massaged - ask anyone in attendance and they will tell you there were no more than 900 people there. Which was just as well as Steve Gritt's side were hammered 3-0. Still, at least those on the Rainham End terrace got to see some nice fireworks going off at the opposite end of the ground as Gillingham celebrated Bonfire Night.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      Extrapolating from the number of my Albion friends who claim to have been there, I reckon there were at least 14k in attendance (I wasn’t one of them)! Rather similar to those who saw Case’s goal...
      6EQUJ5 2A
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I haven't got any proof, but I reckon I was there. Maybe I'll have to find some. Genuinely didn't miss many games at Priestfield, as Tun Wells was only an hour away. I'll supply names of two people I may have been with, should I need to.

0 Not allowed!
      I think we're going to need a public poll for this.
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Extrapolating from the number of my Albion friends who claim to have been there, I reckon there were at least 14k in attendance (
      And 13K of them will be whining they won't have enough points to go to Huddersfield
      Become a fan of Northstandchat Dogs Syndicate and follow @NSCGreyhounds on Twitter
      Members James Bond's body double's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Yes I was there, I think maybe, no, yes I was.
      Everyday above ground is a good day!

0 Not allowed!
      We had season tickets for the Priestfield years and I do recall the Barnet match, although not as clearly as the Formica charms of Gillingham's Wimpy Bar - and definitely not as clearly as Jimmy "He can hit them from there" Case's opener at Highbury. A good friend drove us to Kent most weeks so those two seasons weren't quite the challenge they could have been.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I was at that game, just my 5th at Gillingham as refused to go until Belloti had been sacked from the club.Looking back the crowd the game before (also midweek) v Lincoln was only 1,036.

Also the next game was A v Hereford in the FACup, not a fun day as they were still a little bitter from relegation the season before. My mate got a punch in the face as we went through the turnstyle to get in, and we lost 2-1.
      Mark R
      England Away For all my England match reports and quite a few pictures!!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I was NOT there.

However I do remember being in a Saturday Goldstone crowd of about 4500 just before Clough was appointed. During the Glory Years (mark 1) when our attendances were 25,000+ I remember thinking that those bad old days will never come back ...

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blobby View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I was at that game, just my 5th at Gillingham as refused to go until Belloti had been sacked from the club.Looking back the crowd the game before (also midweek) v Lincoln was only 1,036.

Also the next game was A v Hereford in the FACup, not a fun day as they were still a little bitter from relegation the season before. My mate got a punch in the face as we went through the turnstyle to get in, and we lost 2-1.
      Tough times, another world
      Brexit is like trying to remove the egg from an omelette. Updated 2018