[Albion] Glenn Murray as legendary as Zamora and Ward - Elphick

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He would be if not for leaving for one club in particular........ however if he keeps us up this year I think he'll have made up for it and be in that bracket yes. Not far off at all right now!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Right up there with Ward and Zamora and more effective than Wardy was at this level too, imo

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
Murray is a fine player for us, but not for me as 'legendary' as the other two - and that's a completely subjective feeling - I can't produce any facts or arguments for it. Maybe in years to come, when I'm an (even older) man I may look back favourably on the Murray years and reminisce about them in the same way as with BZ and Wardy, but I'm just not quite there yet.

Murray has done very well for us but never a Legend like Zamora and Wardie

Withdean Chappy

Jul 21, 2017
Westdean
Indeed. And I don't blame him for it, it was more the club's fault than his, but whose fault it is doesn't matter, the fact is he went to Palace and scored against us.

Murray isn't even the biggest legend in the current squad. Zamora was a legend before he asked the club to come back and try and get us promoted.

How long will this Palace nonsense go on for? players come and go to teams the length and breadth of the country,they are just another team......

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Irrespective of the Palace thing, Ward & Zamora were the highlight of their respective teams. Both scored plenty of goals and were the main focal point of the side. Murray during his first spell did very well but since his return he is just a piece of the puzzle. It's difficult to imagine them in the same category but goals and stats may change that opinion over time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These things are entirely subjective.

I like Murray, he's a nice bloke.
I like how he loves Brighton and stayed living here even when he left the club.
I like that he didn't celebrate when he scored against us.
I like how he winds up opposition players.
I like his no nonsense style as a player.
I like that he's scored important goals for us.
I like the fact that he's played more games and scored more goals for us than any other club
I like how he's painfully shy off the pitch but is in peoples faces on it.
I like the story about when players have to sing in front of each other at dinner when they join, he sang "let it go" from Frozen as it was the only song he knew all of the words to.

Do those things make him a legend?

Dunno

Yes. Absolutely love him.

Incidentally, wrt another post, Wardy WOULD indeed have signed for Palace had they had the money and potential, in context.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think if Murray celebrated more in the fashion he did with the last minute winner at Birmingham last year, he would be taken to our hearts more. Maybe that's what the disconnect is?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Murray doesn't quite have the charm or charisma of Zamora or Ward and that i think is the issue along with the Palace hiatus rather than his ability or his Albion achievements on the pitch. On that alone, you would have to say in solely in footballing terms he deserves to be in that 'legend' bracket.

el punal

Just listened to this week's Albion Unlimited podcast and found Tommy Elphick's interview really interesting. He heaps a lot of praise onto Gus Poyet for transforming the Albion into a professional club. What I found even more enlightening was his comparison of Glenn Murray with Bobby Zamora and Peter Ward. I never regard Muzza in the same category as those two striking legends, but Elphick's words have really made me think and I'm starting to agree with him. Muzza fired us from League One to the Championship and then came back to fire us into the Premier League. In some ways, he's done more than Zamora as he's taken us into the country's top division.

Is Muzza as legendary as Zamo and Ward? Does his Palace spell rule him out? Or is it too early to say?

Interesting thought. The thing with both Zamora and Ward is they both had this unique bond with the fans that elevated them to hero status - plus they could score goals too! Knockaert would be in that category too. Murray on the other hand, despite being instrumental in getting the Albion promoted twice and scoring shed loads of goals, is not a charismatic figure and therefore will never own the title of legend. Shame really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here