Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray as legendary as Zamora and Ward - Elphick

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Never did find out what the hand to the head celebration was all about!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This is an interesting topic. I love Murray and I would regard him as an 'Abion Great' rather than a 'Legend' in the way that Ward and Zamora regarded.

For me Zamora was the individual who was key to the Abion reboot in the Withdean years and made the journey on which we are currrently embarked possible. In his time here, specifically in his first spell he had a talismanic quality that exceeded his ability on the field. I mean this with the greatest of respect but I think Murray manages to melt himself into the fabric of the team in a way which actually underplays his achievements, which, and you can argue that this is unfairly, deny him the 'legendary' status that Ward and Zamora have.

I do however fully believe that Murray has every right to be mentioned in the same breath as those two other giants of the Albion.

After Murray's very impressive start to the season and the very real prospect of Glenn hitting a ton I am revising my previous post and putting him on that legendary pedestal. For Glenn to be operating at such a high level at his age is astonishing and given our severe lack of depth at the striker position over the past couple of seasons he has been key to our success. I viewed his return to the Albion every bit as uplifting as that of Bobby.

Murray will have to be replaced at some point, but he will leave behind some figuratively Big Boots to fill. A legend indeed.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Countless Murray goals during his first spell with us. He actually had pace and taunts Leeds fans.

It's amazing really. That video could have been a montage of Zamora's goals. I think we forget just how good Murray was in his first spell.

I'm old enough to remember Wardy and what he did will always have a very special place in the hearts of Albion fans of a certain age. What Glenn Murray is doing right now however, puts him right at the top of the tree IMO.

He was the victim of Poyet's ego back in 2011. Anyone who doesn't love Glenn Murray needs their head testing, quite honestly.

Albion legend? Absolutely.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Top Premier League goalscorers in 2018, in order:

1. Sergio Aguero
2. Mo Salah
3. Glenn Murray

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I know it's subjective, but how he's not considered legendary is a real conundrum for me. Every game I watch him, I think I love him more. No striker I have seen in Albion colours does what he does. His ability to draw a foul, relieve pressure, bully defenders, bring others into play, defend corners, run to the last minute (at 35!) and score every type of goal is incredible. We've seen plenty who can do some of those things (and some who seemingly can do none), but he is genuinely is an all-in-one striker that you rarely find these days.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
When he surpasses 100 goals, I think he’s definitely in the legend catagory.

The only thing for me is, the name ‘Glenn Murray’ is such a grumpy northern name. If that makes any sense to anyone else?

Sorry to anyone named Glenn, but I don’t like it. For that reason, I’m out. :moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know it's subjective, but how he's not considered legendary is a real conundrum for me. Every game I watch him, I think I love him more. No striker I have seen in Albion colours does what he does. His ability to draw a foul, relieve pressure, bully defenders, bring others into play, defend corners, run to the last minute (at 35!) and score every type of goal is incredible. We've seen plenty who can do some of those things (and some who seemingly can do none), but he is genuinely is an all-in-one striker that you rarely find these days.

*cough* pace *cough*

However, who needs pace when you have skill and a brain?

Legend for me.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Got to be in the frame for legend status. As we are having this conversation he is currently leading English goalscorer in the PL. Hard to say no really.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know it's subjective, but how he's not considered legendary is a real conundrum for me.
A player needs to do more than usual to become a legend while they're still playing for a club. When he's finished playing for us, I think it's unlikely he won't be considered a legend. He's becoming more of a legend as time passes, so the responses now will more more positive than when the thread started, and hopefully they'll be even more positive by the end of the season.

Also note that the question wasn't whether he is or would become a legend, but whether he was as legendary as Zamora and Ward, back in 2017. That's a bit much to ask.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After Murray's very impressive start to the season and the very real prospect of Glenn hitting a ton I am revising my previous post and putting him on that legendary pedestal. For Glenn to be operating at such a high level at his age is astonishing and given our severe lack of depth at the striker position over the past couple of seasons he has been key to our success. I viewed his return to the Albion every bit as uplifting as that of Bobby.

Murray will have to be replaced at some point, but he will leave behind some figuratively Big Boots to fill. A legend indeed.

I loved Murray's game in his first spell. In the South Stand at Withdean I used to sit next to a bloke who whenever I said Murray's class, used to say "I'm not sure". He needed convincing. One day he turned and said "You're right. He's pure quality and our best player".

To produce the goods 'elsewhere' at a higher level, then go up another level with us and be banging in PL goals, winners, at his age is amazing.

With Peter Ward, they're the best I've seen in the stripes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here