Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Upgrading a concession ticket on matchday

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sadly my Dad was ill on Sunday, so he couldn't use the ticket I'd bought him for his birthday. So thought I'd bring my brother along instead. Went to the ticket window and the computer said NO. It seems its not possible to upgrade a ticket unless you are a STH.

Is this nuts or what? Match was sold out and club turning away revenue and having an empty seat as a result. Just seems a lack of common sense on this policy

Sounds bonkers.........did you escalate or just deal with the person in the window (who probably has no authority to do anything other than 'what the computer says') ? You'd hope that someone more senior (must have been a ticket office manager on duty ?) would have exercised some common sense...........

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thinking about this, the only reason I can think why this would happen is if the tickets were only available to a subset of fans and it could be perceived that buying the ticket for a qualifying child and then actioning a subsequent upgrade to an adult was a way of circumnavigating that.

However if the adult was a known fan who also qualified to buy the ticket in the first place, then I'm not sure why the upgrade would be refused. I'd even say that if the adult fan was not known, then common sense should prevail, given kickoff is approaching, and the upgrade made but a note made on the fan account to ensure this is not a regular occurrence used to try and cheat the system.

If it's simply a case of "computer says no", ie the ticketing system does not have the functionality to allow a single ticket to be upgraded, then the desire to offer a decent level of customer service should kick in, even if the club miss out on the upgrade cash. No one should be expected to head home from the Amex when a ticket is held and a seat is going to be left empty as a result.

Few facts

My Dad is a bronze member (linked to me on friend and family)
Myself a bronze member (leader purchaser)
My Brother is a bronze member too (who I wanted to upgrade to)

There were no loyalty points involve with Bronze members for the Southampton fixture (unlike say Liverpool game)

The person at the ticket booth spoke to their supervisor and declined my request. This was after also being told steward at the end of the 10 minute queue it could be done

Tremendous respect for the way this club treats the fans and what we have, but on this one they've really got it wrong

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, they have. Very wrong.

I suggest you email Paul Barber to say what happened (if you've got some spare time later for the reply).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Few facts

My Dad is a bronze member (linked to me on friend and family)
Myself a bronze member (leader purchaser)
My Brother is a bronze member too (who I wanted to upgrade to)

There were no loyalty points involve with Bronze members for the Southampton fixture (unlike say Liverpool game)

The person at the ticket booth spoke to their supervisor and declined my request. This was after also being told steward at the end of the 10 minute queue it could be done

Tremendous respect for the way this club treats the fans and what we have, but on this one they've really got it wrong

I wasn't saying what I'd written was the case, but were the reasons i could think of as to why an upgrade may have been declined.

Seems what you say waterfalls down to the very end of my post though: simply really poor customer service that displays absolutely no empathy with football supporters at all.

A fan is at the ground on match day with a ticket. They want to give the club more money to do things the right way. They are sent on their way and the seat, for the sold out game, remain empty.

Farcical.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The person at the ticket booth spoke to their supervisor and declined my request.
So the supervisor could have allowed it if he wanted to? That's really poor if so. On first reading I assumed this is just a technical oversight, as a system has been put in place for STHs that can't attend, but nothing similar has been done for one off match day tickets yet. But if they had the ability to override the system and allow you in, that's poor service.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Although it's too late now, wouldn't it be worth an email to Supporter services to see the reasoning behind the inability to change a tickets status on matchday?

I don't think that it was because it was on a matchday that he couldn't change it, it was because he wasn't a Season Ticket Holder.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't understand this at all. Very disappointing.
I really appreciate the chance to be flexible with STickets - my son is away at university and i easily upgraded an u18 ST to an u21 for him on Sunday for £7 with no fuss whatsoever.

Can't fathom why this was declined. Club should pull out the stops to explain and make amends.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
It was probably "The System" that prevented this happening - by not being able to refund the cost of a concession ticket.
For an adult to gain entry the adult ticket has to be produced for which the system, needs £40 say. This would normally be offset by refunding the cost of the concession ticket to leave the 'upgrade' cost difference to be paid. However; there could be a chain of authority for signing off refunds (expenditure) that cannot cope with this small transaction.
It wasn't like this in the old days of cash turnstiles and terraces. Challenges like this would always be sorted at the turnstile - one way or another.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It does seem silly that a match ticket cannot be upgraded provided points levels are ok.

Would be interesting to know the thinking here.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Things like this, and being 'too honest' with the club are why some people feel they have no choice but to play the system (e.g. passing on tickets without telling the club)

Very disappointing

Fans and not customers.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
It wasn't like this in the old days of cash turnstiles and terraces. Challenges like this would always be sorted at the turnstile - one way or another.

Indeed. Would have just been 'in you go mate', and the fiver cash 'upgrade fee' straight in the turnstile operator's pocket...

Yoda

English & European
I wasn't saying what I'd written was the case, but were the reasons i could think of as to why an upgrade may have been declined.

Seems what you say waterfalls down to the very end of my post though: simply really poor customer service that displays absolutely no empathy with football supporters at all.

A fan is at the ground on match day with a ticket. They want to give the club more money to do things the right way. They are sent on their way and the seat, for the sold out game, remain empty.

Farcical.

Not to mention the possible loss of revenue from food & drink etc.

Absolutely daft not to be able to upgrade to someone else already on the clubs database.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Not to mention the possible loss of revenue from food & drink etc.

Absolutely daft not to be able to upgrade to someone else already on the clubs database.

I have to say though - some (a very small number) of these steward like folks at the entrance to the stands seem
to be petty, small-minded a*seholes whose only joy in life is making other people's life difficult.

I bought two tickets to watch the Villa game at the Amex on the screen last season
and one of our tickets wouldn't scan properly.

Christ I was made to feel like I'd committed crime of the century by this steward. "Oh no mate, you'll
have to go and get a replacement". FFS - these people need to be weeded out and told to f**** off.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Thinking about this, the only reason I can think why this would happen is if the tickets were only available to a subset of fans and it could be perceived that buying the ticket for a qualifying child and then actioning a subsequent upgrade to an adult was a way of circumnavigating that.

However if the adult was a known fan who also qualified to buy the ticket in the first place, then I'm not sure why the upgrade would be refused. I'd even say that if the adult fan was not known, then common sense should prevail, given kickoff is approaching, and the upgrade made but a note made on the fan account to ensure this is not a regular occurrence used to try and cheat the system.

If it's simply a case of "computer says no", ie the ticketing system does not have the functionality to allow a single ticket to be upgraded, then the desire to offer a decent level of customer service should kick in, even if the club miss out on the upgrade cash. No one should be expected to head home from the Amex when a ticket is held and a seat is going to be left empty as a result.

I was unsure about this scenario. I knew I could get myself and my son a ticket for the Liverpool game, but was contemplating taking the wife instead and didn't know if I could upgrade son's ticket in due course, with the excuse he couldn't make it. Anyway my son ruled things out by saying he was going and not his mother :)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’m a big defender of the club but can’t fathom this one. Could it be to do with multiple ticket reprints and the upgrade legitimising the “new” ticket. Probably not

At first I thought this would explain the (one) lower attendance figure than Everton but the figures are based on tickets sold. Hope your dads not accused of harvesting ��

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well I know Barber gets a lot of stupid emails pies and the like and replies
This needs addressing by email it's cost the club albeit a little extra revenue, left an empty seat and pissed a coupla fans off. Joke

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here