Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Upgrading a concession ticket on matchday

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If this had happened to me I’d be absolutely fuming.

The worst thing is we can’t choose to take our custom elsewhere when faced with such appalling customer service, completely lacking in any form of common sense.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So someone has travelled to the Amex on a match day and is standing there at the ticket office saying "Please take my money so I can get in to the game" and the response was "Sorry, you'll have to go home"?

Very poor.
Absolutely.

Ludicrous lack of common sense on the part of either the individual member of staff who dealt with this or, more likely, the system that is in place for whatever reason.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Absolutely pathetic from the ticket office. I hope you contact the club and please inform us of the response

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Just a further comment on this from a STH.

My father pays for 2 STs for our family - one for him, and one for me (that I actually share with my brothers in order to ensure the seat is used every match). A few years ago, my Dad's STH was amended by the club from an adult ticket (as he'd originally purchased in the first season back at the Amex) to a Senior Citizen ticket - without his authorisation.

Now my Dad, who is in his 70's, recently contracted shingles and was left in great pain and constantly tired - unable to attend most matches. As a result, we have been paying (between £10-15 each time) to 'upgrade' his ST from a Senior to Adult so that I'm able to attend along with one of my brothers. But we were advised at the start of the season that there would be a new policy in place that only allows a total of SIX upgrades throughout the entire season.

Due to my Dad's illness, we'll likely hit the limit of 6 upgrades at the Chelsea game. This means that, from that match on, my Dad's seat will need to remain empty as the club are refusing any further upgrades. One less fan watching the match, and one less person buying food/drink in the stadium. Also the club missing out on over £200 in upgrades throughout the season. My Dad has written to the club and explained the situation, but been told the same - no further upgrades are possible. The irritating thing is that he was quite happy to continue paying the Adult rate, but the club won't allow this either given that they have his DOB.

Bizarre and frustrating policy by the club.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

My father pays for 2 STs for our family - one for him, and one for me (that I actually share with my brothers in order to ensure the seat is used every match). A few years ago, my Dad's STH was amended by the club from an adult ticket (as he'd originally purchased in the first season back at the Amex) to a Senior Citizen ticket - without his authorisation.

Now my Dad, who is in his 70's, recently contracted shingles and was left in great pain and constantly tired - unable to attend most matches. As a result, we have been paying (between £10-15 each time) to 'upgrade' his ST from a Senior to Adult so that I'm able to attend along with one of my brothers. But we were advised at the start of the season that there would be a new policy in place that only allows a total of SIX upgrades throughout the entire season.

Due to my Dad's illness, we'll likely hit the limit of 6 upgrades at the Chelsea game. This means that, from that match on, my Dad's seat will need to remain empty as the club are refusing any further upgrades. One less fan watching the match, and one less person buying food/drink in the stadium. Also the club missing out on over £200 in upgrades throughout the season. My Dad has written to the club and explained the situation, but been told the same - no further upgrades are possible. The irritating thing is that he was quite happy to continue paying the Adult rate, but the club won't allow this either given that they have his DOB.

One alternative is from next season ring up when you renew the ST and request an adult one, I have done so

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
b

The club do so many thnings right but on this and the OP they can be sooooo a*al, soooo petty. Need to remember we are a community club

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

This has been a rule for some time now >>>
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?341621-Season-Ticket-Match-Upgrade-Taking-the-Mick
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?349836-Ticket-upgrades-next-season

However, it used to be the case last season that when you've reached the 6 upgrade cap, you could upgrade the whole season ticket for the remainder of the season. It cost more than the match-by-match upgrade fee, but it meant a seat would not go empty. Is this not an option any longer?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One alternative is from next season ring up when you renew the ST and request an adult one, I have done so

They won't let you do that because you cannot change the name on the ticket, and the d.o.b on the current name will dictate the ticket type.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Can`t you just go in on his ticket........My son has U21 ticket and twice this season he has taken wrong one and I`ve got in on his...Light goes green with U21 and Adult, is Senior ticket any different ??

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
As a Senior I often sit in an Adult seat. Light is red ticket in, light goes green. I've never seen any other colour. Support of Clubs runs in families and groups of friends or should do, not having a workable system to recognise this cost the Club money and long term support in favour of the odd visitor, only interested in short term gratification.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
However, it used to be the case last season that when you've reached the 6 upgrade cap, you could upgrade the whole season ticket for the remainder of the season. It cost more than the match-by-match upgrade fee, but it meant a seat would not go empty. Is this not an option any longer?

That's definitely not something that has been offered despite my Dad contacting the club secretary regarding the matter. Maybe it is something we can pursue, but from conversations over Christmas I definitely had the impression that - as from Chelsea - we were stuck for the rest of the season with not being able to use that seat if my Dad was unable to go and the club were refusing the budge on the matter, including with opting for an Adult ticket next year. Their philosophy is that tickets/seats should not be shared, and that option is only available to 1901.

Diablo said:
Can`t you just go in on his ticket........My son has U21 ticket and twice this season he has taken wrong one and I`ve got in on his...Light goes green with U21 and Adult, is Senior ticket any different ??

I think the senior light on top of the turnstile is orange - definitely 3 different colours between child, adult and senior.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's definitely not something that has been offered despite my Dad contacting the club secretary regarding the matter. Maybe it is something we can pursue, but from conversations over Christmas I definitely had the impression that - as from Chelsea - we were stuck for the rest of the season with not being able to use that seat if my Dad was unable to go and the club were refusing the budge on the matter, including with opting for an Adult ticket next year. Their philosophy is that tickets/seats should not be shared, and that option is only available to 1901.

Sorry, you're right - they removed that option this season >>> http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?349836-Ticket-upgrades-next-season

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Sorry, you're right - they removed that option this season >>> http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?349836-Ticket-upgrades-next-season

Wow - thanks for linking that, an interesting read - albeit at the other end of the spectrum with upgrading child tickets.

It just blows my mind that, with my Dad's poor health this season, that the club would be willing for his seat to sit empty rather than be used by a family member as it has been on six other occasions this season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Did anyone here email the club?

My parents can't come to the Chelsea game now and I want to pass their tickets on, and get them upgraded to full adult. The T&C's are quite clear that I can pass the tickets on to friends, but the club won't let me upgrade them to adult.

Which is insane - the options are either the oirginal two people in the seats, or two empty seats, or two different old people in the seats, no extra money - but the other option, two different people in the seats, extra money for the club - is not allowed. Its really quite unfathomable.

I'm going to have to try and follow up on Monday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here