Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Things you miss about the Championship

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I certainly don't miss anti-football sides like Warnock's Cardiff turning up when we are under pressure to win each match.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Attitude.
From the Championship, down through the whole of the pyramid there is respect for other clubs and what they achieve. Sure, there are one or two historically larger clubs languishing in the lower reaches, who believe they have a divine right to a seat at the top table but that doesn't stop them respecting each and every one of us. The PL breeds arrogance, elitism and lack of respect. Newly promoted teams are treated like something the cat has just dragged in from the back garden. Fans of the bigger, more successful clubs don't bother with the other divisions. Thats like another planet. They even look down their noses at anyone outside the big 6!! Newly promoted clubs are described as average or limited or ordinary and there is an expectation level that they should be cannon fodder. When there is a surprising result e.g Huddersfield beating Man Utd it is treated like a non-league side beating a much higher calibre side. Total and utter shock. They can't get their heads round it. Theirs was the worst performance in years, not a jot of credit to the opposition.
I guess you have to earn their grudging respect by hanging on in the top flight for more than one season but it shouldn't be necessary. Its just ugly and boorish and so predictable and I just hope that we can ruffle a few feathers this season and give the status quo something to think about.

I think I have chatted with or had a pint with every set of away supporters bar Saints - I wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire - and have not found that to be the case at all. On the internet yes, maybe, but not in the real world. Ther3 are always some bellends but in the main most of them have talked about our players with a certain amount of knowledge. Jesus someone even knew who Ince was at one game.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I remember feeling a bit wistful the last time we played at Dagenham & Redbridge in League 1. There was something about a funny little ground with Portakabins scattered around and Tony Bloom wandering down the road from wherever his car had been parked. On the other hand...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And yet if we stay up, doubtless next season we too will be looking at the three promoted clubs with the hungry look of a tiger looking towards a tethered goat, gleefully contemplating the eighteen points that we'll inevitably get.

Funny you should say that. Shows how hypercritical I am, pontificating about the attitude of others to us and yet, only yesterday, discussing the current strength or not of the Championship and how, if we manage to stay up, it could benefit us next season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think I have chatted with or had a pint with every set of away supporters bar Saints - I wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire - and have not found that to be the case at all. On the internet yes, maybe, but not in the real world. Ther3 are always some bellends but in the main most of them have talked about our players with a certain amount of knowledge. Jesus someone even knew who Ince was at one game.

I guess I must be speaking to too many ' armchair ' fans, who have little or no interest outside their cosy little top six existence.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thought exactly the same thing this morning driving in to work hearing about all the championship games, I am missing mid week games. I used to love an autumn/winter midweek night, I could never go to midweek games so would be listening to the Brighton commentary with the champions league games on TV and NSC on the iPad. I used to quite enjoy those evenings.

The intensity and regularity of the Championship is one of the things which makes it a great league and in many ways far more exciting than the Premier League.

I can't describe this too well in words but match days do definitely feel different this season. Games are far more of an 'event' whereas in the football league they were just football matches and I don't mean that in a bad way.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
The "used to be" comment (for away games) "Is it Pay on the Gate"? ........... Doubt that will ever be heard again for the PL :(

Give it a few years of surviving and becoming a 'Stoke/West Brom' type of staying in the league comfortably and not pushing for anything.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Give it a few years of surviving and becoming a 'Stoke/West Brom' type of staying in the league comfortably and not pushing for anything.

Loads of empty seats at West Brom on Saturday, and that was for the visit of Man City...

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
There's not one place in the Championship where I couldn't find a cracking pub. This season..Leicester? No. Watford? No West Ham? No. Arsenal? Again no. Looking forward to Huddersfield and Newcastle again though

Arsenal - are you serious? You're spoilt for choice within 10 minutes of the ground. Even at Angel ~15 mins walk I can
think of 6 cracking boozers.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Fun 'aways' such as Brentford, Fulham and Charlton. Proper grounds.

Away days still fun but having visited the Emirates and London Stadium I completely agree about the grounds (and the atmosphere at matches).

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I was there! And it was only sung briefly but the point still stands. I grew to hate that tune.

Haha when Knocky sung it at the Amex was the moment when I thought I've heard enough of this to last a life time... Great moment though at West Ham to hear it one final time!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Nothing really. Love the PL and have waited a long time to see us back at the top table. We are in the best shape all round I have ever seen in my 40 odd years of supporting BHA, so no, I don't really miss much at all. If I want to go back to grass roots stuff i'll go and catch a few games at Lewes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here