Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fixed odds betting machines.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
not everyone does

An adult does.Instead of blaming the betting co's take some personal responsibility. Nobody physically drags you into a betting shop and forces you to put money into the machines. BTW I speak as someone who does like a bet so gambling is not an alien culture to me.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
An adult does.Instead of blaming the betting co's take some personal responsibility. Nobody physically drags you into a betting shop and forces you to put money into the machines. BTW I speak as someone who does like a bet so gambling is not an alien culture to me.

Theres a huge difference between liking a bet and gambling. Betting <> gambling
Same as the difference between going out on a Friday with the lads for a few or becoming dependent on the booze

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Why do you thing AA, GA, CA etc exist? You think people want to go to these meetings???? Sorry mate you havent a clue

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I think you should be allowed to gamble unlimited amounts on these machines. Nobody 'extracts' money from the 'vulnerable' these people aren't 'victims'. Individuals should take some personal responsibility for their actions and not look to blame others. It's the same with fast food restaurants, nobody makes you go in them, it's ya own fault if you end up obese its not the fault of Mcs or BK.

Do you take the same view of people that are prescribed morphine based painkillers who then become addicted and start to use heroin as a substitute?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Why do you thing AA, GA, CA etc exist? You think people want to go to these meetings???? Sorry mate you havent a clue

Mate I really have got a clue, I'm not going to detail on a chat forum about personal matters but I really have seen what an addiction (alcohol) can do to you. My stance 'take personal responsibility' is not one from having led a sheltered life having had no exposure to gambling and alcohol.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Do you take the same view of people that are prescribed morphine based painkillers who then become addicted and start to use heroin as a substitute?

Totally different scenarios. How can you compare a medical addiction to a gambling one?

Trouble is nowadays it's always someone else's fault. Obesity the fault of fast food chains. Alcoholism the fault of the pubs / supermarkets. Large credit card debts the fault of banks offering them to customers. Gambling the fault of betting companies.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Mate I really have got a clue, I'm not going to detail on a chat forum about personal matters but I really have seen what an addiction (alcohol) can do to you. My stance 'take personal responsibility' is not one from having led a sheltered life having had no exposure to gambling and alcohol.

well you are one of the luckier ones then

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
OK well lets get confused the difference between mental and physical diseases because they both cause hurt. Go do some research. I hope no close to you is never affected by either cos you dont sound like like a good person to talk to

As I've already said someone extremely close to me had an alcohol addiction with fatal consequences, so i would say I do have a knowledge of addiction. If a friend had a gambling addiction i would sympathise to a point but i would not entertain the thought its the fault of the bookies though.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I've been in bookies putting my small footie bets on, and in the time it's taken to choose my games, I've seen people go back to the counter with their credit card about 4 times saying 'another £100 on machine 1 pls'.

That's a scary situation to get into.

I saw this very thing happen just yesterday evening. I was putting a football coupon on in Ladbrokes and witnessed a smart dressed guy in his mid 20's who had come in after work. He did £1,000 in just 20 minutes, reloading his debit card 4 times (the rest was cash). I was amazed they let him do it with only a cursory "are you sure" on the final transaction. I'm also surprised his bank authorised 4 fairly large transactions made in such a short space of time.

The stakes on these things should be lowered to £2 or preferably they should be banned altogether. They are evil and ruin people's lives.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Large credit card debts the fault of banks offering them to customers

I worked in banking all my life and mostly on the cards/loans side and let me assure you they (the banks) were responsible. They target those in the most need with seductive offers with promises that they'll make everything good. Most sensible people would see through it but there's a large proportion of our population that fall for it

You can't judge every one by your own sense of what's right/wrong, good/bad.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I can see no rational justification for allowing these things to exist at all in a civilised society. They exist for the sole purpose of extracting money from people who are vulnerable or who have an uncontrollable addiction. The gambling companies make vast amounts of money out of their victims misery. Its not a valid argument to say that people should individually take responsibility for their actions. All those who are able to do that, do do that. Just because people exist who are unable to be responsible, doesn't make it ok for an organisation to take all their money. Its just wrong.

This. 100%.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
As I've already said someone extremely close to me had an alcohol addiction with fatal consequences, so i would say I do have a knowledge of addiction. If a friend had a gambling addiction i would sympathise to a point but i would not entertain the thought its the fault of the bookies though.

I am sorry to hear that he had the disease which is alcoholism. At which point did anyone mention it was the bookies or a bars fault, except for you?
Say for example your friend lost everything with the gambling addiction would you not think to support or are you sticking along the lines of he's an adult self control and all that ?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I worked in banking all my life and mostly on the cards/loans side and let me assure you they (the banks) were responsible. They target those in the most need with seductive offers with promises that they'll make everything good. Most sensible people would see through it but there's a large proportion of our population that fall for it

You can't judge every one by your own sense of what's right/wrong, good/bad.

A very fair point although I do think as an adult you should be capable of making a rational decision as to whether taking out a credit card is a good or bad decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here