Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] XBOX 500GB or 1TB...?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Am planning on getting an XBOX for Moshe Jnr this Christmas.

Not convinced, but it is what he "really" wants and he has said he will put his savings towards the cost.

Is it worth paying £70 extra for the 1TB version? I have no idea. He is 10 years old and unlikely to be obsessive about using all of the functionality but is there a reason why you'd need extra GB for something like FIFA...?

If it affects it then I think we will do the subscription service thing where you get access to games but you don't buy the actual disks. Is that a good idea?

Any help on the above or other XBOX related tips (best place to buy? best games?) gratefully received.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes it is. Some games are 50 Gigs and higher. Plus you get monthly free games if you go Xbox live. 500GB won't last 5 mins unless you like uninstalling games and reinstalling them. That can also take bloody ages.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I have a 500gb (the 1tb weren't available at launch) and have a 2tb external HDD (cost around £70).

500gb really isn't enough when each game has to be installed, and can be anywhere between 20gb and 55gb each

Also 500 isn't the actual storage space - I think it's closer to 320.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Basically for a 10 year old you probably want 1TB however you can buy memory drives which plug in, basically the console downloads the game onto the system now, so every game can take up quite a bit of space.

I have a PS4 so cant help much more than that.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
By the way the games line up on the PS4 completely out strips Xbox. Microsoft are way behind Sony on exclusives and just about everything else regarding gaming.

Get a PS4

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
By the way the games line up on the PS4 completely out strips Xbox. Microsoft are way behind Sony on exclusives and just about everything else regarding gaming.

Get a PS4

That may be the case but if all his mates are on xbox then a ps4 isn't much help.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks all.

Better to get the 500gb machine and add a 2tb HDD then than to buy the 1tb machine...?

If we have this thing could it, in theory, also be used to help with streaming football matches?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That may be the case but if all his mates are on xbox then a ps4 isn't much help.
Very much this. Apparently XBOX is the only game in town. Being able to talk to each other using headsets while playing is just about as cool as life gets...

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
We bought an Xbox One because my son said all his friends have Xbox, we then had to get a PS4 because apparently no one uses xbox any more and all his friends moved to PS4.

This was the difference between when he was 11 and when he was 13.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Thanks all.

Better to get the 500gb machine and add a 2tb HDD then than to buy the 1tb machine...?

If we have this thing could it, in theory, also be used to help with streaming football matches?

Unfortunately I can't help you with that. Although if you already stream on a laptop then just hook it up to your TV via hdmi. Haven't streamed on xbox but can't see it being much better/easier

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would say the 1tb version. I’ve got a 500gb version and it barely holds anything. It’s one of my main gripes about this gen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it worth paying £70 extra for the 1TB version? I have no idea. He is 10 years old and unlikely to be obsessive about using all of the functionality but is there a reason why you'd need extra GB for something like FIFA...?
You don't need the extra storage for any particular game. The extra storage is so that you can have more games stored at the same time. The main questions are how many games he's likely to need installed at the same time, and whether you'll get games on disc or digitally (more on that later).

If it affects it then I think we will do the subscription service thing where you get access to games but you don't buy the actual disks. Is that a good idea?
Is he going to play online? It's £40 a year, but there are deals where you get it for a bit less each time. With that you also get a couple of free games each month (not all will be suitable for a 10 year old, but plenty will). He can also play many old 360 games, which are cheap at CEX etc.

I've had an Xbox One since day one and haven't ever had a disc for it - that's because a) I don't want to have to get up to change games, all my games are on the Xbox and b) I game share:
Game sharing is where you and one other person share digital games - one of you buys the game, both can play. Obviously that means you only have to pay for half your games. Also, are you on fibre broadband? Because that helps when downloading digital games quickly.

I'd probably save the £70. You can always get an external USB drive to add more space if needed: like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxtor-Sli...3627&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=samsung+m3+usb+hdd

If you want to know more, ask away

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would say the 1tb version. I’ve got a 500gb version and it barely holds anything. It’s one of my main gripes about this gen.
Grab an external drive - you can even get an external SSD if you want to put your favourite games on there and load them quickly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks all.

on the streaming, in theory you should only need a few GB to buffer the stream, you are not going to store the matches. internet connection far more important here.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Also thinking about xbox. What would be the best games for a 9 or 10 year old boy? Don't really want him to get into the 18 plus games yet, but also don't want him playing toddler games either. Are there some good 2 player games for kids?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Also thinking about xbox. What would be the best games for a 9 or 10 year old boy? Don't really want him to get into the 18 plus games yet, but also don't want him playing toddler games either. Are there some good 2 player games for kids?

Lego <insert franchise> are great fun, Minecraft is good safe gaming too.

D

Deleted member 2719

we are thinking of doing the same, but still very much confused,
ps4 or xbox one which is the best?
reliability?
functionality?
longevity?
handset controls?

I know nothing about these games as i am from the 70s gaming era!

https://youtu.be/axlx3o0codc

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Being able to talk to each other using headsets while playing is just about as cool as life gets...

Take him for a game of cricket over the Nevill field.

Good enough for you growing up, good enough for him!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
500gb here, yes it gets full quickly but I’ll just uninstall the games I’m not using and reinstall when I want to. Which isn’t often.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here