Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] First TORY minister named as .......

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pretty Pathetic more like.

Hopefully May does the same sooner rather than later.

I hear you but what's the alternative available in the Tory party? That said, I do wonder if we haven't seen the last of Gove, he's lying low and actually doing an OK job.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Everyone apart from you. That 346 majority? I bet most of it is in care homes over in Bexhill now. Times are changing Comrade - you'll be voting Labour again too, like you did in June.

Whilst I tend to agree that Amber Rudd will go, it won't be the Bexhill care homes that affect it as it's a different constituency (Bexhill and Battle, Huw Merriman, 22k majority)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Whilst I tend to agree that Amber Rudd will go, it won't be the Bexhill care homes that affect it as it's a different constituency (Bexhill and Battle, Huw Merriman, 22k majority)

I know - my point was to do with the changing and shifting demographic in Hastings & Rye with a rising youth vote and falling 65+ vote, including those who leave the constituency.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That said, I do wonder if we haven't seen the last of Gove, he's lying low and actually doing an OK job.

If comparing going on the Today Programme to going into Harvey Weinstein's bedroom, when your own colleagues are having to resign for misconduct, and that is doing an OK job, well blimey, the bar is low...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I know - my point was to do with the changing and shifting demographic in Hastings & Rye with a rising youth vote and falling 65+ vote, including those who leave the constituency.

I don't think the demographic will change significantly; it hasn't over the last 20 years or so. Whilst the old ones in the nursing homes die, others replace them, selling their flats and bungalows to retirees from outside the town. Meanwhile young people move away for University or work and tend to stay away. The only way it will change is if there are massive changes in the infrastructure and economy of the town (stick a dual carriageway between Hastings and Brighton and it might become a dormitory town for commuters (in a similar way that the A38/A380 allows people to live in/around Plymouth or Torbay and work in Exeter).
When I stood for election to the council in Eastbourne in 1995, the Tories had it so well organised that they were running the old dears from the homes to the polling station all morning; the Tory agent told me at about 1 o clock "that's the nursing homes done".

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

With the pro labour propaganda children are being subjected to at school it is inevitable that voting patterns will shift to the left .

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I don't think the demographic will change significantly; it hasn't over the last 20 years or so. Whilst the old ones in the nursing homes die, others replace them, selling their flats and bungalows to retirees from outside the town. Meanwhile young people move away for University or work and tend to stay away. The only way it will change is if there are massive changes in the infrastructure and economy of the town (stick a dual carriageway between Hastings and Brighton and it might become a dormitory town for commuters (in a similar way that the A38/A380 allows people to live in/around Plymouth or Torbay and work in Exeter).
When I stood for election to the council in Eastbourne in 1995, the Tories had it so well organised that they were running the old dears from the homes to the polling station all morning; the Tory agent told me at about 1 o clock "that's the nursing homes done".

There are far more youngsters coming through though - there are people I know both Labour and within the Conservative Association locally who can't see anything other than a Labour win next time. It was a snap and strange election earlier this year, but Labour got no real funding or backing from The NEC as a target seat and a lot of time and effort was wasted chasing voters who were already going to vote Labour. That all changes. The demographic shift of the electorate also applies to within the more deprived areas of Hastings (Of which there are and I say that as someone proud to be born in the town) People are politically engaged who were disengaged previously (See Brexit) and austerity/cuts/Universal Credit etc - those people won't be voting Tory let alone see someone with a blue rosette at their door. I know Labour were astounded in Hastings at the support and positive engagement they had in places such as Hollington and The Farley Bank estate. Rudd's leadership ambitions have ceased for reasons I said further up the thread and if she stands again, which looks inevitable as of now, it only helps Labour.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Do you have a 15 year old daughter that has come home from school and told you that her teacher has tried to convince her class that Teresa May is a racist ?

OK I've changed my opinion. I hereby retract my previous reply of ":wozza:" after reading the overwhelming evidence backing up your claim.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A shred of humanity would surely be applied to the length of sentence someone unreasonably spends in an Iranian prison?

Using the phrase 'a shred of humanity' applied to the case of Priti Patel is frankly hilarious, and if said by anyone else I might have mistaken it for satire.

PP has herself to blame for the situation in which she finds herself, and I can understand anyone saying she deserves what she gets. But it still doesn't help the situation if she is humiliated, though one could well argue that is precisely what she deserves. I accept that. If you had done something really foolish, say at work, and the boss gives you the chance to resign rather than the sack, you might be grateful for that small crumb of comfort.
I regret that I don't see the logic of your first sentence.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There are far more youngsters coming through though - there are people I know both Labour and within the Conservative Association locally who can't see anything other than a Labour win next time. It was a snap and strange election earlier this year, but Labour got no real funding or backing from The NEC as a target seat and a lot of time and effort was wasted chasing voters who were already going to vote Labour. That all changes. The demographic shift of the electorate also applies to within the more deprived areas of Hastings (Of which there are and I say that as someone proud to be born in the town) People are politically engaged who were disengaged previously (See Brexit) and austerity/cuts/Universal Credit etc - those people won't be voting Tory let alone see someone with a blue rosette at their door. I know Labour were astounded in Hastings at the support and positive engagement they had in places such as Hollington and The Farley Bank estate. Rudd's leadership ambitions have ceased for reasons I said further up the thread and if she stands again, which looks inevitable as of now, it only helps Labour.

Why would they be astounded at this? I would have thought that it was entirely predictable that folk in these areas would vote labour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PP has herself to blame for the situation in which she finds herself, and I can understand anyone saying she deserves what she gets. But it still doesn't help the situation if she is humiliated, though one could well argue that is precisely what she deserves. I accept that. If you had done something really foolish, say at work, and the boss gives you the chance to resign rather than the sack, you might be grateful for that small crumb of comfort.

I think most of us would be sacked if we deviated from accepted practices to such a degree.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
OK I've changed my opinion. I hereby retract my previous reply of ":wozza:" after reading the overwhelming evidence backing up your claim.

The post gave an example, and was trying to add to the debate - unlike you, who prefers no evidence and to jeer at others.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

No, I don't expect you do.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do you have a 15 year old daughter that has come home from school and told you that her teacher has tried to convince her class that Teresa May is a racist ?

So this individual experience from a single teacher, which may or may not have been taken slightly out of context by a 15 year old, led to this generalised statement regarding nationwide voting patterns of the young...and you're complaining about propaganda...

With the pro labour propaganda children are being subjected to at school it is inevitable that voting patterns will shift to the left .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here